FRIHOST ē FORUMS ē SEARCH ē FAQ ē TOS ē BLOGS ē COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Whatís your relationship with Government?

Whatís your relationship with Government?
We get along beautifully. I love Government. To my knowledge, both of us are very happy with each other.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
We get along okay. Government could be better, but it also could be worse.
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
We tolerate each other. I canít say that Iím happy, but I mostly ignore it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Government does not treat me well. I am unhappy but I just deal with it.
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
I donít treat Government well. Government is unhappy with me.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I donít treat Government well, but Government doesnít realize it.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Government and I often fight with each other, but since we each are addicted to each other, we continue the destructive behavior.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
I abuse Government. Wherever I can take advantage, even being very harmful, I do.
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Government harmfully abuses me. Iíd like out of the relationship but I am totally stuck.
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

The Philosopher Princess
This is partly serious and partly just for fun. So feel free to say whatever comes to your mind. Just, ďplay niceĒ Very Happy!

RELATIONSHIPS per se are often thought of as being between individuals. But if you think of them in the broader sense -- connection, association, involvement, give-and-take, like-dislike, love-hate -- then we have relationships with groups of people and organizations too.

Some relationships last a short time; others last a long time. Which relationships last the longest? I claim that a personís relationship with Government is a winning contender. Even our close family members and friends will eventually die, taking maybe not our memories, but our relationships with them.

But Government never dies. Whether we like it or not, we are all born into a relationship with Government. And that relationship lasts till we die. Sure, like all relationships, the one with Government changes over time. But it never goes away.

Even if we move from one country to another, the particulars change and the rule-masters change. But, while we have the freedom to choose never to marry, we cannot choose never to have a relationship with Government. And what about our relationships with people, businesses, clubs, schools, churches, etc. if and when we realize that they are being harmful to us? We can then renounce them, break off from them, and move on with our lives to a healthier, happier life. But none of us are free to renounce a relationship with all Governments. Wherever we are, there is one in charge of us.

And yet, there are many similarities between our relationships with Government and our relationships with individuals. So, what would you care to share about the similarities or differences that you perceive?

Concerning your relationship with Government:
Arrow How do you get along?
Arrow How do you not get along?
Arrow How do you wish the relationship could change?
Arrow How do you feel about the fact that you can never divorce yourself from your relationship with Government, no matter how horribly you are treated?

Some people believe their relationship with their God is also a contender for the longest-lasting relationship. What similarities and differences do you see between that kind of relationship and the one with Government?

Unlike some of my other topic starters that require more discipline in discussion, this one is going to be very open. Feel free to be lighthearted or serious.
raver
I can't wait untill i have an island of my own, where i can be the Government and make decisions over my worshipers Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
chasbeen
I don't mind paying taxes to the Govenment as long as I feel like i'm getting value for money.

I work for the government and I also pay taxes so I suppose I should not complain. After all any money I take home is from other people paying taxes. If they didn't pay taxes then I would not have a job and couldn't pay any taxes.
Rico
Essentially there is no relationship between an individual and a government. If by relationship you mean association, connection, affiliation, rapport, bond, liaison, link or correlation. Any personís experience of government is very much the same as the logistics of a sewer system. Gravity plays a big role and it causes the brown smelly substance that emulate from the source (in this case the government) to move and spread into every nook and cranny of the system (a modular metaphor for the individual, in this case you and me). And this unfortunately is true of any government.

Titles of ideologies such as communism, sectarianism, etc. or my personal favorite, democracy are a ruse to placate pseudo intellectualist dreamers that believe their vote has any value. Only the flavor of brown and smelly varies from administration to administration. Believe it, because itís true.

PS. Just kidding, everything is exactly the way you think it is. Is that the security police knocking at my door?
The Philosopher Princess
raver wrote:
I can't wait untill i have an island of my own, where i can be the Government and make decisions over my worshipers Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I guess a few of your worshippers are depicted over there in your avatar Wink? Thatís a cool dance you taught them! Which comes first? The island or the worshippers? In a way, they each depend on the other one already existing.
~~~~~~~~~~
chasbeen wrote:
I don't mind paying taxes to the Govenment as long as I feel like i'm getting value for money.

That makes sense. So, when do you feel like youíre getting value? To keep things straight, the value you get from your job is different (theoretically anyway) from the value you get as a citizen, however.....

chasbeen wrote:
I work for the government and I also pay taxes

.....you actually have a conflict of interest there donít you? When we see a politician make a contract with his own brotherís company, on behalf of the Government, then we start to wonder whether that politician is acting in the best interest of the citizens.

And when your own livelihood depends on Government being big and strong, then I guess we would definitely expect the following.....

chasbeen wrote:
so I suppose I should not complain.

.....I suppose not. Smile

Thanks for your comments! Smile
Srs2388
I'm not trying to be a prick towards anyone on here im just giving my opinion which is my first amendment right on the constitution...
I think the government could get a lot worse... we could only have communism and that would suck so bad...
I'm not going to say its perfect either... but that would be impossible for it to be perfect in everyone's eyes because people have different views on what is perfect and what isn't...
raver
Srs2388 wrote:
I'm not trying to be a prick towards anyone on here im just giving my opinion which is my first amendment right on the constitution...
I think the government could get a lot worse... we could only have communism and that would suck so bad...
I'm not going to say its perfect either... but that would be impossible for it to be perfect in everyone's eyes because people have different views on what is perfect and what isn't...

mmm... wrong... in my opinion communism is the perfect form of a goverment, unfortunetly it is perfect only in theory, because it cannot be applied succesfully anywhere because of human nature.
If you think a little, hippies and amish are also commies, because they share the same beliefs Wink
Eyre
I went for the second choice.
The Philosopher Princess
raver wrote:
in my opinion communism is the perfect form of a goverment, unfortunetly it is perfect only in theory, because

NOTHING can be perfect in theory but not work in practice.

(Please donít interpret my assertion as necessarily putting down your ďopinionĒ, because you may be speaking at a different level than the one Iím speaking at this moment.)

I agree that it can be a meaningful statement to say that something is perfect in theory yet not in reality. But with such a statement, we are admitting that we have not yet sufficiently worked out the full theory; we are admitting we only have a partial theory. And certainly, there are going to be many times that we need to admit that.

If a theory is actually perfect (given particular criteria), then it definitely does work in practice.