FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

hofodomo01
Well, think of this anime as a more coherent, less trippy version of FLCL. Anybody watched this?

I thought that this series was constructed very well, with wit and humor. It is modernism in the disguise of a traditional school-life (almost) series. I suggest you give this series a try...it's kind of unconventional (all the episodes are purposely out of order), but it has intellectual value as well.

We can at least learn two things:
that Nagato is a l337 h4x0r, and that when an assassination attempt fails, move to Canada.
Scaramanga
Due to it's popularity, there's a fairly strong chance we'll get a second season and (hopefully) the novels. Haruhi was just featured last month on the cover of both NewType and Megami magazines (both pretty big anime 'zines in Japan.)

Also, see this thread.
ZeroXD
Scaramanga wrote:
Due to it's popularity, there's a fairly strong chance we'll get a second season and (hopefully) the novels. Haruhi was just featured last month on the cover of both NewType and Megami magazines (both pretty big anime 'zines in Japan.)

Also, see this thread.

I really hope they release a 2nd season to this soon, this is seriously one of my favorite animes.

Kyon is one of the funniest protagonists I've seen in awhile, I love his cynical nature and his way with words. It contrasts so well against Haruhi's personality.

If anyone has any solid news on a release date or expected release date, I'd love to hear it.
RubySlasher
I actually can't stand Kyon. He's a nag/party pooper/loser, and he doesn't understand what Haruhi wants to show him.
ZeroXD
I can see the reason you might interpret it that way, but he's a necessary evil in the sense as he keeps the sense of reality of the show. If everyone were to drone on and do whatever Haruhi suggests it wouldn't seem so crazy or exciting anymore.
RubySlasher
But it's annoying and so sad how much time he spends complaining to himself about how bad the "crazy things Haruhi does" when alls she's trying to do is make his childhood dreams come true!
Maybe the light novels are different, I wouldn't know since I never read any.
driftingfe3s
I loved the first season. The second season has been confirmed! I have no idea when it will start though. Hopefully it will air this fall and not next year.
silvertailsfox
Oh, they've been confirmed? Yay! Very Happy I enjoyed the series although I was seriously confused through most of it. (watched episodes in chronological order....)
metronome
ya it has been confirmed already that it will have second season, after these fall 2007 show, Clannad.

kyon serves as first person view in the light novel

@OP
I suggest you read the light novel
it is better than what you think:D.

the reason people find this anime is no good or looks normal is because they underestimate it:P or may be because they don't know the whole story.

[spoiler]

kyon is lucky eh, can travel thru time so many times not being a time traveller him self, he even experienced sliding

I am waiting for the anime version for the volume 8 of these series where the rivals come

[/spoiler]
QrafTee
Yeah, I watched this anime and I got thought of something... OTHER anime. That's right, while watching this I thought of--I don't know why, but I did--Tenchi Muyo, Evangelion, and another anime, but I don't remember its name. It is very weird and the idea of three ways of watching the anime is interesting. I think Haruhi has a serious case of ADHD... but I guess she's allowed to since... yeah I rather not type any spoilers.
ZeroXD
QrafTee wrote:
Yeah, I watched this anime and I got thought of something... OTHER anime. That's right, while watching this I thought of--I don't know why, but I did--Tenchi Muyo, Evangelion, and another anime, but I don't remember its name. It is very weird and the idea of three ways of watching the anime is interesting. I think Haruhi has a serious case of ADHD... but I guess she's allowed to since... yeah I rather not type any spoilers.

Three ways of watching the anime? I thought there was only two-ways to watch it. One being the regular episodic order and the other way was the order Haruhi screams in the credits. What was the third order?
Donutey
I finally got around to watching this series, I don't watch a lot of anime, but I enjoyed FLCL, and this show is along the same lines and was very good. On a side note, it's a much more dramatic ending to the series if you watch it in the "Haruhi" order (non-chronological) which is NOT the order the episodes are on the DVDs. (See wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_episodes)

Wish they would hurry up with the second season...
QrafTee
ZeroXD wrote:
QrafTee wrote:

Three ways of watching the anime? I thought there was only two-ways to watch it. One being the regular episodic order and the other way was the order Haruhi screams in the credits. What was the third order?

The DVD order is slightly different from the Kyon Chronological Order; just one episode off in fact.
wonderline
I couldn't take it - watching the first episode.
It's so random! xD
Jmanamj
You must have watched it in the odd "airing order" then. If you want it to be coherent, then watch it i "chronological order." The first half of the show follows one long arc with an awesome finale, then the other half is mostly what seems to be filler (though still a good watch). The airing order basically spreads the first half of the anime out with the fillers in between so that the climatic finale is the last episode.

Love the anime though, Kyon's narration is exactly what a zany anime like this needs. I cant understand those who don't like it. I couldn't wait for the next season...so I read ahead in the Manga. Smile I hope they follow that.
ddukki
I hate when people tell me to search the forums beforehand, but come on, guys! It was only a page behind when this topic was started!

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-45038.html

Love the show, though. I'm a sucker for the strange and out of place plots.
BugBear
Was one of the first anime I ever watched and I had trouble figuring out what episode goes after what Razz.

I loved it and continued to watch other anime Very Happy. I probably should rewatch it as I can only remember very foggy parts.
ato784
I have seen some pics from it and I was wondering does it have a lot of fanservice? I ask because I have seen some bathing suit that they wear and it would not be legal If they were real. Or is it that the pics i was looking at were unrelated to the series? If there is fanservice is it as bad as ikketosen? (which I despise because it ruined haibane renmei for me!)
amperx
soooooo, a second is coming Very HappyVery Happy hurray for more haruhi and gang misadventures XD
ato784
does anyone know when the new season will be coming out?

I have not heard about this show for a long time and it deserves to come back
Arty
There's a second season? That's great! Very Happy I thought the first season was the end of the series.

If there is one does anyone know when it will come out?
amperx
yeah,... anybody here knows when's the second season coming out?
driftingfe3s
They are re-airing the FIRST season agian this spring. Sad

There's so much interest in this anime that they can do that, it's ridiculous. The second sesaon better be good with all this time they are taking in making it.
ato784
have they even started to make the second season? i have heard no news of it and if anyone can show me any links about it I would be greatful
ato784
This is a really good show and it deserves a sequel, which it may or may not get. it will however get a chibi spin off made. the show had sparked off many trends includng the dance, which prisioners are dancing now Exclamation

I think the chibi spin off might already be out... oh and it is an anime.
Arty
Btw Kyon is an awesome character. -.- His normalness is what makes the show so funny.
Xrave
Haruhi FTW!

nah its not unconventional, it's pure haruhi-ism. Kyon is awesome alright XD
driftingfe3s
The new season is out right now! I got the first episode, probably going to watch it tomorrow though. I skimmed though it and Kyon's voice sounds different to me or it just might be i have forgotten how it sounds like.

I hope it will be as good as first season!
Xrave
wth, seriously?

THIS CALLS FOR CELEBRATION!
amperx
yeah new seasons out, go grab it! Very Happy Dancing
paskifire
seriously, what's the order of the episodes? I'm confused right now
ato784
the first arc is over! at episode 9. most of the people that i know that watch this series hated the arc that just ended. I have yet to watch it though, do other people here hate it as well?
Stanley9811
The second season is slowly unfolding, I have to admit I wish they did it all at once, I loved the first season and cant wait for the whole of the second to be out... sadly its one of the many Anime I love I dont own.