FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

fan sound !

vignesh_natraj
my computer run smoothly and quietly when I run windows applications but when i run a game like GTA San Andreas the fan rotates at high speed and I am able to hear the noise very well. I have no graphics card. This is my computer configuration
Pentium 4 D 3.4Ghz , 945G Intel Motherboard , 512MB DDR RAM , Windows XP SP2, 160GB HDD.
should i buy a graphics card if so what card ?
CanadianGeek
Do you have another fan you could try it with, or has it done this with other fans?
askchris
The reason that your fan is spinning up is because the 945G board has cpu cooling fan controller chip based onboard and when there is high cpu loads like in the San Andreas game it runs the fan quicker and thats what you can hear, to overide this I would recomment a front panel addon for your computer with fan control built on and cpu temperature readout, this would reside in a spare 5.25" bay and you can just leave the fan on one constant speed, just make sure it is enough to keep your cpu cool.

http://www.askchris.org
jwellsy
You may want to get a freeware program like Speedfan at
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
to monitor your CPU temp.
Teddy1
Yeah get some software to monitor your systems temperature to make sure everything is running smoothly. As for a gfx card i would recommend an ATI Radeon 9250 256mb it's value for money. Can run most latest games with a processor like yours. I currently have an ATI Radeon 9250 and the gfx are breath taking, although it does depend on the game you are playing also, Electronic Arts tend to make games with good gfx like Need For Speed Underground Series.
Bones
Teddy1 wrote:
Yeah get some software to monitor your systems temperature to make sure everything is running smoothly. As for a gfx card i would recommend an ATI Radeon 9250 256mb it's value for money. Can run most latest games with a processor like yours. I currently have an ATI Radeon 9250 and the gfx are breath taking, although it does depend on the game you are playing also, Electronic Arts tend to make games with good gfx like Need For Speed Underground Series.

If going with an ATI card I would really recommend at LEAST a Radeon 9500 as the 9250 doesnt even support pixel shading 2.0 and is a really old chipset. If you want a good card and dont mind paying for it..then I would suggest one of the Radeon X series cards.
Teddy1
Beats my previous gfx card Intel Extreme Embarassed that was a bit embarassing to mention that hehe. Laughing
vignesh_natraj
9250 is old chipset
i have a 9600XT 128MB from Radeon but it is AGP card but my new motherboard supports only a latest PCI eXpress card
Teddy1
You can get adapters for them. Smile
vignesh_natraj
Teddy1 wrote:

i will affect the performaince and how effective are these adapters wont they damage the card
Teddy1
They won't affect the performance in any shape or form. I think they are good value for money as i currently own one having to have a low profile gfx card in my desktop pc so i have no choice but to use one.
new user
Change the paste, try another cooler...
And for graphics card I'd choose Radeon 9550, 256 mb.
I used it myself for two years (until last month), and it still works fine with all games.
Bones
Teddy1 wrote:

Sweet..I didnt know that. Going to upgrade my system later this year to an AMD X2 cpu and my biggest concern was having to use onboard vid because I didnt want to have to buy power supply, cpu, new ram AND a vid card too all at once (AGP-PCIe)

I figure that way I can buy a better card a couple of months after get the main gear..thanks for the info