FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows DLL hell

CanadianGeek
I'm curious as to the most effective way to solve the infamous windows dll hell problem. I'm aware of www.dll-files.com however (ironically) the unzipping program I downloaded requires a dll file that I don't have. Any suggestions anyone (short of downloading winzip, which would take a while on dialup)? Thanks in advance.
badai
it never occured to you to download a free and damned small unzipper first, get the dll that your great unzipping program required, then you can get all the dll you want and unzip it with your great unzipping program all you want?

oh by the way, windows do support zip file by default.
CanadianGeek
Well, for starters, it was the smallest unzipper I could find. The next smallest being 9MB. And I'm on an older version of windows and it does not support unzipping, or, if it does, I'm not aware of it.

And please, if your offended by my lack of computer know how, please PM me about it, or just not post that aspect of it. I could be just as critical of your grammar after all, but beyond that I won't comment about it.
mOrpheuS
CanadianGeek wrote:
The next smallest being 9MB.

WinRAR, under 1 MB ! (I personally recommend this Wink )
http://www.rarlabs.com/rar/wrar360.exe

Or 7-Zip, around 800 KB - http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z442.exe?download

OR if you only want to unzip one file, try a command line tool - ftp://ftp.th-soft.com/UNZIP.EXE (only 57 KB !)
usage - unzip.exe filename.zip

There is no really "good" solution for the DLL-hell, apart from using well programmed software.
Although, with all the modern installers, this isn't such a big problem anymore.
Bones
CanadianGeek wrote:
I'm curious as to the most effective way to solve the infamous windows dll hell problem. I'm aware of www.dll-files.com however (ironically) the unzipping program I downloaded requires a dll file that I don't have. Any suggestions anyone (short of downloading winzip, which would take a while on dialup)? Thanks in advance.

Windows dll hell? Standard coding practice dictates that any non-native dll files should be included in your installer package...sounds more like poor coders to me
erlendhg
CanadianGeek wrote:
And I'm on an older version of windows and it does not support unzipping, or, if it does, I'm not aware of it.

Actually, I remember from the old times while I was using Windows 95, that even there it was included a little unzip program, I think is located in the Windows folder, and I think it had an icon a bit like winzip´s icon.
CanadianGeek
I just checked, nothing. I'm on windows 98 first edition if that's any help although now it's not necessary. I downloaded WinRar. Thanks m0rpheuS. And Bones, I would tend to agree. The microsoft vb runtime files are also required (which I'm just too lazy to bother looking for just yet) and the website doesn't even make specifications for what's required to run the software.

www.camunzip.com if anyone is interesting in looking at (this aparently badly written) software.

Thanks for your help everyone.
Ester
I also had a problem the other day with disapearing dll files. I did a system restore and that solved it, no messing about with zip files and downloading stuff that I wasn't sure about.