FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Interrail in Europe

Ms.Pseudo
Have anyone of you been in interrail? What tips could you offer, where to go, where to stay of, what to see etc... What were the highlights of your trip?

I'm planning to go 'railing' next summer with my friend, and at least Paris is a 'must-see-place'. What about Praha, I've heard it's a beutiful city. I would like to see some countrysides also.

And how much should I take money with me to survuve, not for shopping? We are most likely there for a 2 or 3 weeks.
Karl
Ms.Pseudo wrote:
Have anyone of you been in interrail? What tips could you offer, where to go, where to stay of, what to see etc... What were the highlights of your trip?

I'm planning to go 'railing' next summer with my friend, and at least Paris is a 'must-see-place'. What about Praha, I've heard it's a beutiful city. I would like to see some countrysides also.

And how much should I take money with me to survuve, not for shopping? We are most likely there for a 2 or 3 weeks.

First of all I'm a European so I would prefer to use a min 4-5 days in each city and primarilly use the time on cities that I wouldn't spend an entire week in (London, Paris, Madrid etc.). These are a little to big for quick sightseeing.

Prague (or Praha) is a very nice city and it is still very cheap compared to the western european and scandinavian cities.

For the guideline of what to see and where to go I sometimes uses the Unesco world heritage webpage. http://whc.unesco.org/en/map (It also have a google map extension, so you can see the places in googlemap)

But it also depends on what kind of culture you are interested in if it's classical music, art, hip hop, history, heavy metal or somekind of obscure subculture
snjripp
Don't make the mistake of going to so many cities that you don't really see anything deeply. As for planning, make sure you know when your next train leaves so that you can maximize the time you are in a certain city and don't get to the trainstation a 1/2 hour after a train left and end up waiting there...

Tips for the budget: Skip Switzerland and go to Germany or Austria instead.
Ride the rails for long distances overnight so that you can sleep on the train and not pay for a hotel.