FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Good software for music notation?

kiawa77
Does anyone know of a good but hopefully somewhat inexpensive software for inputting music notation, saving the file, having it play in .mid format, etc.?

I have lots of scores from college, and I wanted to put them into some kind of program. I'd prefer if there were different sounds / channels so I could make the soprano sound like something, the alto sound like something else, and put it over grand piano.

I know about Cakewalk and Sonar 5 (are they up to 6 now?) but was looking for something a little simpler and a little less expensive. I've tried out some of the shareware/freeware stuff, but so far it's all sucked. You can't add another instrument/bar after you start the song, and you can't change key signatures mid-song, etc.

Help!!!!
Traveller
Cakewalk, Finale, Sibelius, et al are WAY too expensive unless you are super serious. Try Noteworthy Composer. It's only $39 for the licensed version, and works very well.
kiawa77
How on earth did you do that so fast? I hit submit, and then your reply came in about 10 seconds later! WOOOO!!!

Thank you Smile
Traveller
kiawa77 wrote:
How on earth did you do that so fast? I hit submit, and then your reply came in about 10 seconds later! WOOOO!!!

Thank you Smile

LOL! Just happened to refresh the new-message list at the right time, I guess.

BTW, as you will see on their website, you may download Noteworthy to try it out. The unlicensed version has a few restrictions, such as printing "unregistered version" at the bottom of each page, and limiting how many times you can save certain things, but it still gives you a good idea of how it works, and it is certainly worth the $39. That's dirt cheap compared to the others!
skullflower
I use Cakewalk and Ableton Live . . . Although I'm not going to say how I afforded it, Laughing . Good software right there though. So if you can invest in them I recommend that you do. I don't think I would be a happy musician without them really.

=Tony=
HDirtwater
There is a less expensive (like $50 or so) version of Finale available. I use Sibelius because it is easier to use than Finale, but I have both. It depends on what you're going to be doing. I do a lot of orchestral arrangements, so I need a powerful program like sib or Finale. Cakewalk has a cheap version also. You can walk into almost any CompUSA or Staples and get some sort of notation program.
zamolxes
Sibelius is the best Smile But yeah, expensive.
Josso
I strongly suggest Sibelius for that kind of thing, and as far as I know it isn't actually that expensive but I may be wrong. I only use it at school and they probably have an old version.
VidE
I got Cakewalks Sonar for $65 on e-bay. I was about 1-1/2 versions older than the then current version but worked great for my needs. I imagine an older version of Sibelius might be a little harder to find on e-bay but still available for cheap.
spaz-o
Guitar Pro works, and you can download it free. (Cracks)
Jakob [JaWGames]
As traveller said is noteworthycomposer a very good program. You can also download a free version of it where you only can look at the notes of midifiles.
For me it is enough, the problem is that you can`t print the notes in that version...
Insanity
GuitarPro works and it shows you the tabs as well.
Lennon
Guitar Pro, Cubase, Finale, Fruity Loops, Cake walk etc.

The best thing to do is get contacts in the music industry, friends or professionals who are into music too. The best thing is sharing music, software etc.
achene
Guitar pro is my favorite. I tried finale once but i found guitar pro much more userfriendly and you can do almost as much as in finale.

Achene
SimonWSTS
I have to say Sibelius is generally the way to go, only problem is the cost.

Finale is a good alternative, its just a shame Sibelius is so widely used that its the standard for music notation software.
wavecage
My favourite is Melody Assistant - it does exactly what you want and heaps more, and its very cheap - just $20usd or 20euros and that includes all future upgrades.
It does a good job of guitar/bass tab as well.

(You can also get a virtual singer plugin which is pretty funny for another $20 - you can teach it to sing in different accents/scat sing jazz/do spoken word etc)

check it out - http://www.myriad-online.com/
prototype_angel
kiawa77 wrote:
Does anyone know of a good but hopefully somewhat inexpensive software for inputting music notation, saving the file, having it play in .mid format, etc.?

I have lots of scores from college, and I wanted to put them into some kind of program. I'd prefer if there were different sounds / channels so I could make the soprano sound like something, the alto sound like something else, and put it over grand piano.

I know about Cakewalk and Sonar 5 (are they up to 6 now?) but was looking for something a little simpler and a little less expensive. I've tried out some of the shareware/freeware stuff, but so far it's all sucked. You can't add another instrument/bar after you start the song, and you can't change key signatures mid-song, etc.

Help!!!!

guitar pro 5!!!
Scott
Anvil Studio does this, and is absolutley free. A lot of people use it.

rodexa
At the moment I use sibelius 7. It's not cheap but in my opinion the best music notation software that is available.
pauline123
Depending on what your needs are precisely you could also look into the (free) open source program called MuseScore. It has been great for listening to my musical scores after I put them in. However if you are wanting to scan it into the program you will have to use a few other programs first to convert it into a file type that it will understand. Good luck with the music.