FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Appz for Linux????

marixworld
I'm thinking of using Linux, especially CentOS or Fedora Core but i don't if they could run Windows applications. I usually do graphics design and desktop publishing using Photoshop and InDesign, web design using Flash, Fireworks and Macromedia. Will I be able to run them on Linux? What other windows applications can i run either on Fedora Core or CentOS?
alienjones
You can run lots of windows-apps in Linux using wine (http://www.winehq.com/). If is not supporting your app there is still the chance of installing Windows as a virtual using "vmware" in Linux.
Kyoushu
Or you could dual boot with Windows and Linux. On my laptop I use windows XP Pro for web design, games, and graphic design, and I use Ubuntu 6.06 dapper for everything else. Fedora Core 5 can dual boot(I used to have it) just like ubuntu if you think you would want to try that. Very Happy
lSaKenl
or you just gotta find the clonics Razz
just look at them, open microsoft word, and open KWord, they're clonics, there is also a clonnic of msn and theres a clonnic for everything!

but yeah, you should try a dual boot, i have a dual boot in my comp
Ranfaroth
marixworld wrote:
I usually do graphics design
Start learning how to use GIMP (which is becoming more and more used in industry) : it runs on GNU/Linux and on M$ Windows™...
sarapicoazul
Another approach is running Linux as a guest OS alongside a Windows primary OS (or vice-versa) using Parallels Workstation desktop virtualization. It also supports FreeBSD and Solaris OS as guests.
saurabh.sauron
u can run nearly everything that runs on windows with wineHQ. afaik, there is no substitute app for flash in linux...give linux a try for stability...