FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Question on having Several websites under one hosting

justnewbie
First of all, I would like to say lots of thanks to frihost, for giving me a chance to host sites without a cent from my pocket. I've been searching on net for a long time, but I don't think there are other free hosts better than frihost itself.

EDIT: yes, frihost approved a free account for me

I'm familiar with website hostings and such, and I knew it would be very troublesome for you guys to help me out. I did make some searches before this, frihost FAQ and searching the forum and I didnt get the answer. So, I hope my question wont be that "nooby" and my apologies if it is.

Get to the main question, I have several websites before this, and all of them are hosted under other several free accounts. My friends bought me some domains as a present; and of course, I framed them to my websites. However, it seems like this url framing isn't that good as in SEO. google can't read the text in my sites under the framed domains.

After registering w/ frihost, I am very glad that this free host lets me to use their nameservers which other free hosts wont. However, since I've several websites, I planned to host all of them, using your nameservers under several different domains.

The problem is, how would i do that? I googled the net, and I was advised to buy reseller hosting. But how could i buy one when Im using free hosting? I read the FAQ, it seems like that it is possible to do so, but it didnt describe that in detail. I searched this forum too, but I couldnt find some really good answers in the first 3 pages.

Simply speaking, I have several domains and several websites, and I wanted to host them all under frihost. So, can I have some advices on how to do that?

Thanks and any help will be greatly appreciated. Sorry for my not-rather good English, I'm not a native English speaker... Cool
SoftStag
Frihost will allow you to host your domains here. I myself have 2 of my own domains hosted by Frihost.

You will need to put your request in the Request An Account Change forum. The powers that be will set up your domains on your account for you and you will be able to use them.
justnewbie
Sorry, I forgot to tell that my account is activated, I'm just trying to figure how to point several domains to several sites hosted under frihost.

Thanks, anyway.
chrismen
Ok, I am also host two domains and had the same problem you did. It is really easy. Here:
First go to the site where you have your domain. Mine is 1and1 so I will tell you what I did and it should be pretty close to what you have to do:
1. Log in at admin.1and1.com
2. Click on domains/manage domain
3. Check mark the domain you want to set up here at frihost
4. Click the drop-down arrow next to DNS at the top and select "edit DNS settings"
5. Here you can do two things: one you can set your name server to frihost with the info they gave you in the first PM (I forgot exactly what it was: I think something like ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net) or you can select the 1and1 name server and just change the ip address (or A Record). The second option is if you want to either keep email hosting at your domain or you want some one else to host your email (like google.com/hosted).
6. Okay now you have to wait a little for the changes you made to take effect.
7. Now log in to direct admin (http://cp.frih.net/).
8. ... Well for some reason I can't get onto direct admin right now so let me tell you from what I remember. I will post again later if you are still have trouble: in direct admin you should see domain something somewhere on the page. Just click on that and add your domain.

Hope this helps!
Good luck
Bondings
To continue the great tutorial of chrismen.

9. After logging in, go to "Domain Setup" and afterwards "Add Another Domain". There you need to fill in your domain name (without www). It will create a similar structure to your current subdomain, /domains/domain_name/public_html/ , for your website.
justnewbie
Great! Now I know how my domains are separated in the directory. Anyway, thanks a lot!
brevity
This actually helps me a lot... I'm not trying to host multiple sites right now, but I've been wondering how this was done. Thanks for the detailed steps, guys!
jipmerite
I too would like to say this discussion is very useful for me too.

I would just like to clarify it a bit. Now, I own the domain name www.jipmerite.net...and I have the frihost account hosting as www.jipmerite.frih.net

I have set up my DNS so that when someone goes towww.jipmerite.net, the page it redirected to www.jipmerite.frih.net.

When this happens, people can see that it is going to frih.net in the infobar in the browser.

So the question is whether frihost will allow me to host my site without .frih.net in the URL....? Is this possible?

I ask cos I think some of the sites hosted here in fact do not seem to be redirecting like this.
Bondings
jipmerite wrote:
I too would like to say this discussion is very useful for me too.

I would just like to clarify it a bit. Now, I own the domain name www.jipmerite.net...and I have the frihost account hosting as www.jipmerite.frih.net

I have set up my DNS so that when someone goes towww.jipmerite.net, the page it redirected to www.jipmerite.frih.net.

When this happens, people can see that it is going to frih.net in the infobar in the browser.

So the question is whether frihost will allow me to host my site without .frih.net in the URL....? Is this possible?

I ask cos I think some of the sites hosted here in fact do not seem to be redirecting like this.

It's definately possible. You need to do it without the redirect to your current subdomain. Just like chrismen posted above.
jipmerite
Well what can I say. Frihost rocks! Very Happy
Daniel15
Thanks for the nice tutorial, chrismen Smile I've added this information to the 'Common Questions About Our Hosting' post
Malchior
I have a question, what's the purpose of going to admin.domainname.com if we can directly add a domain by going to cPanel>Domain Settings>Add another domain. But the thing is, everytime I add another site just by going to the cPanel, my site will never appear.

I'm sorry for my newbish questions.

Also, whenever I change my domain name from www.domain.frih.net to www.domain.com, the site will never appear.
Daniel15
Malchior wrote:
I have a question, what's the purpose of going to admin.domainname.com if we can directly add a domain by going to cPanel>Domain Settings>Add another domain. But the thing is, everytime I add another site just by going to the cPanel, my site will never appear.

Also, whenever I change my domain name from www.domain.frih.net to www.domain.com, the site will never appear.

You need to purchase the domain from a domain registrar, otherwise it won't work. A domain registrar is a company that sells domain names (for example, I use DomainSite.com).

After you purchase the domain name, you add it via DirectAdmin. Adding a domain without purchasing it won't work (nothing will happen).

Quote:

Don't worry, everyone starts out as a newbie... We learn from experience Smile
Malchior
Daniel15 wrote:

Don't worry, everyone starts out as a newbie... We learn from experience Smile

Oh I see, so the only way we can have a new and free domain in FriHost is by the subdomain. Thanks for the answers. It really helps newbies like me. Smile
giovle
How do you use an addon domain? I like to have my http://www.idiotsdelightband.be (which I already purchased) point to http://idiotsdelight.giovle.frih.net/ (a subdomain).
I changed the DNS servers on the purchased domain like this tutorial said. (just waiting till the changes are made) but how can I make sure that it points to the subdomain, and not to my regular domain (http://www.giovle.frih.net/) ?
Thx!
rvec
Quote:
9. After logging in, go to "Domain Setup" and afterwards "Add Another Domain". There you need to fill in your domain name (without www). It will create a similar structure to your current subdomain, /domains/domain_name/public_html/ , for your website.
So you will get a different dir in your hosting folder. If you move all your files to that folder you can make the server forward all requests for the subdomain to the main domain.

So after you set up your domain you will get a new folder. Put your site in the public_html folder.
Go to Directadmin -->site redirects
In the local redirect type nothing or index.php/index.html so all requests for that dir/folder will be redirected
redirect type 301
and in Destination URL type the url of your full domain name.
giovle
rvec wrote:
Quote:
So you will get a different dir in your hosting folder. If you move all your files to that folder you can make the server forward all requests for the subdomain to the main domain.

So after you set up your domain you will get a new folder. Put your site in the public_html folder.
Go to Directadmin -->site redirects
In the local redirect type nothing or index.php/index.html so all requests for that dir/folder will be redirected
redirect type 301
and in Destination URL type the url of your full domain name.

Thanks! You guys really kick ass Laughing