FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Black screen after Windows loaded

Timoses
Hi guys!

I have a serious problem with my computer.
When I started it as usual the monitor went off after
loading windows.
But windows is still running. I just can't see anything.

I removed the nvidia graphic driver and it worked again.
When I install the newest version and am half through the installation
of it it goes black again and I can't see anything any more.

I have a
MSI NX7900GT

All other stuff of my PC can be looked up here:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-42688.html&highlight=a8nsli+premium

Please help me guys!!...
badai
maybe your monitor didn't support the display setting?
White Monkey
badai wrote:
maybe your monitor didn't support the display setting?

That would be my diagnosis...But also you could have a virus on your computer...And if the virus was that bad I would just go into BIOS on format my drive.
Timoses
I formatted the whole drive yesterday with Maxblast 4.
After that I installed Windows XP prof again
and then the graphics driver.
And again, when the installation is half through the screen goes black.
But windows is still running.

Can it be that after a format of the drive the settings are still set
too high for the Monitor? I mean, before everything was working fine.
Now I'm running the PC without graphic card driver and have it on
1024*768 resolution.

I can't think of anything that causes this.. : (
White Monkey
Yes it is most likely something too do with your monitor, is it new?? If soo take it back and get a different one. Then tell us what happens.
muggle
I don’t think that the issue is with the display settings. If your display works after windows installation but before the installation of the graphics driver the problem is most probably in missing drivers for your hardware.
It’s not clear from your posts did you installed the NVIDIA chipset drivers provided by ASUS. They have to be on a CD included with your motherboard or you can eventually download the latest version from the site of ASUS http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A8N-SLI
After installing the fresh copy of windows first proceed with the motherboard configuration than try to install the graphics driver.
Meanwhile which graphics driver are you using? The one provided by MSI or downloaded from the site of NVIDIA.
Timoses
I used the one on the CD provided by MSI and the most recent one
from www.nvidia.com / www.nvidia.de .

So you think that if I update my chipset drivers it might work?
But why did it work before and then suddenly it didn't any more..
I don't get that.
But I'll try that.
Bones
Is the monitor LCD/TFT or CRT? TFT monitors usually require drivers where crt monitors usually do not.

Also, try to stay away from programs like MaxBlast which are known to cause issues with WinXP. Maxblast is totally unecessary anyway as formating and partitioning the drive are part of XP setup.

Also, if the screen goes all black again, turn off the pc...restart it, and start tapping the F8 key..keep tapping it till you get the advanced options menu up and try starting in VGA mode to see if you get your display back.
Timoses
It's not a monitur issue. I'm pretty sure.
I already tried another monitor.
It's a normal monitor.

And I already had to press F8 in order to start in safe mode/vga-mode.
So I could remove the graphic card driver.. Then it works again..
Timoses
I guess the card is broken.
Already wrote MSI... after 5 days still no answer.
I'm getting angry -.-
How can it just break without no reason.
gh0stface
You never specified what type of monitor you have. If it's an LCD monitor, you may want to check the refresh rate as LCD monitors only have a refresh rate between 60-70.

Before I bought my LCD monitor, I had a CRT monitor which would give me display problems as the CRT monitor refreshrate setting would carry over to the LCD which would give it a black screen.
yjwong
Maybe you should update your BIOS and chipset drivers to the latest version. This is because certain graphics drivers required updated BIOS in order to work. This happened to my laptop PC few months ago.
Timoses
I guess I have a CRT screen. Don't know about screens that much.
I have something like this; http://images.shopping-profis.de/products/127285.jpg

But, if I set the refresh rate too high then how could I change it?
I even formated the whole hard drive and reinstalled windows.
I once even set the refresh rate to the highest to test it out. The screen still
showed it. But then suddenly black..

Updating Bios and chipset drivers? I did update the chipset driver and
tried to update bios, but the crappy program to update the Bios doesn't
really work. Or it's my router.. Do I have to open some special ports
for it to download the latest version from the internet? But still, I did download
it manually and tried to update it with the Asus Update program. Didn't work either.

But I don't actually think that it is the problem, since it worked before..
Sad
Jaan
I think I know what the problem is. When you update your drivers, then it goes into a different mode. You know how your monitor has two cables? Plug in both cables, as that should fix the problem. There is a default cable mode that it goes into. It has happened to me before and that's how I fixed it. I was on the blue/digital cable and I just plugged in the white/analog and it worked fine. The screen may also switch back after a while.
Cheers Very Happy
Timoses
I don't have another cable going out of my Monitor except the blue one
and the Power cord...
Bones
Sounds like the monitor is fine..it's either driver or card now.
Is the video a card or onboard chipset?
BTW when the screen is black..what color is thepower light on the monitor? Green or amber? If it's amber then the monitor is getting no signal from the vid card.

If the card is brand new, I'd be returning it to the store.

Also, computer components can just break with no reason like that. just like when you are driving down the road and your car blows a bearing or a tire..it was working just 5 minutes ago.

Computer parts are kinda like people..they are all going to die, but nobody knows when..and sometimes it just happens Confused
Timoses
It's a brand new
MSI NX7900GT-VT2D256E

I already wrote a ticket to www.msi-computer.de (since I'm german and
live in Germany..)
.. no reply for a whole weak.

http://www.msi-computer.de/kontakt/index.php
Should I phone the "RMA für Reparaturen und Gewährleistung"?
I guess I'll try that today. And dare them not to pick up the phone -.-...

Oh and the monitor says "No signal" and goes orange/amber.
Timoses
I think I found the "solution".

For you germans around here:
http://www.msi-forum.de/thread.php?threadid=24619

For all others:
nVidia overclocked the 7900GT series to sell them for more money.
The problem, the cards can't actually manage these high rates..
So, they just die sometime.

The 7950GT series has less frequences again.
I thought I could trust nVidia... now they just seem like scammers to me -.-
gh0stface
What resolution are you attempting to use?

The higher the resolution, the slower your refresh rate is going to be. So if you're using say, 1600x1200 at a refresh rate of 100hz, it's going to give you a black screen.
Timoses
-.-
Can't you read?
I even reinstalled windows.
I never even went over 100 hz.

The card is broken.
Click the link in my former post or just read it.
clip
or it could probably be a driver problem. mine has that problems too, half way on my installation of a WinXP (no SPs, i have to update mine to get to SP2 Sad ) , screen goes black and restarts over and over. I had to boot it to safe mode and update the nvidia drivers on through win update and it should work after. There's a problem on the old winxp drivers for nvidia. well, this was my prob, so I'm not too sure if we have the same problem
orcaz
Timoses wrote:
I think I found the "solution".

For you germans around here:
http://www.msi-forum.de/thread.php?threadid=24619

For all others:
nVidia overclocked the 7900GT series to sell them for more money.
The problem, the cards can't actually manage these high rates..
So, they just die sometime.

The 7950GT series has less frequences again.
I thought I could trust nVidia... now they just seem like scammers to me -.-

if u decide to change card, try ATI. nvr had a problem with ATI graphics cards on my comp, and they update their drivers regularly.
Bones
My next card is going to be ATI. I've always been an Nvidia guy, but with the recent AMD and ATI deal, I'll be switching since I refuse to use Intel CPU's and I imagine that future ATI cards will be optimized to work with AMD cpu's much better than Nvidia will (just my prediction)
Timoses
Same here.
ATI.
I thought nvidia was good. But now I know... they aren't.

GO ATI go!!!

Anybody knows some good ATI cards?
256/512 mb
pci
MenthiX
I just had a very similar problem on my new system, and GOT IT FIXED after trying several things! Smile.

My problem was the same you describe: Everything was fine, until i installed the video driver. On the first reboot after installing the driver Windows loads normally until right before the welcome screen. The display goes black and display LED blinks. I can tell Windows still continues to load because i can hear the startup sound from my speakers and the harddisk activity looks normal too. The system will even shutdown properly with a single push on the power switch. So no crashes or anything, just no display output. Booting to safe mode is fine. In safe mode you can remove the Nvidia driver in Device Manager so you can boot back to normal mode again.

After googling i tried various things:
- First went on installing all the other drivers and updated the BIOS, since it was a brand new system on a fresh install. This may be a useful tip for people with the same kind of problem: Always check your motherboard's site for the latest BIOS version.
- Tried the latest driver from Nvidia's site (the first time was the driver offered trough Microsoft Update). Nvidia's own driver got me past the welcome screen, but a few seconds after the welcome screen the display went black again. I guess Nvidia's own driver applies the new settings a little later than the one offered by Microsoft's Update. A slight improvement, but no fix.
- Switching off Write Combining is suggested in farious forum topics, but i couldn't find this option. And i'm afraid i i change this option it will just be reset once i install the driver. No fix there.
- Tried another cable. Both cables were DVI, but i read somewhere a guy fixed this by buying a new DVI cable and i had a second one laying around. Would have tried a analogue VGA cable too, but couldn't find one. Cable doesn't seem the problem either(for me).

At this point i was about to try the videocard from my old system to see if it had the same problem, but went to my BIOS settings first. After looking around in the BIOS settings i changed two settings:
- Plug And Play O/S (Advanced > PCI/PnP Settings): Changed from Yes to No.
- Initiate Graphic Adapter (Advanced > Chipset Settings > North Bridge Chipset Configuration): Changed from PEG/PCI to PCI/PEG.
Saved changes, reboot, installed drivers again, reboot, and... IT WORKED! So changing one (or both) of those settings above did the job. I don't feel like figuring out which of the those two settings was really responsible for the trouble right now (already spent way to much time on this), but i post this for people with the same problem googling for an answer.

Relevant system specs:
Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT GPU
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Hope this will be helful to someone...
preel
i had this problem once that u came to the login screen but then it was just black after signing in. The soloution to that is simple. Just press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and take "New activity" and then type: C:\WINDOWS/explorer.exe now it should be normal again Very Happy im not rly good at english (im swedish) so i suspect that i didnt rly answer your question correctly. Srry... Embarassed
zeroburnrox
I just had a very similar problem on my new system, and GOT IT FIXED after trying several things! Smile.

My problem was the same you describe: Everything was fine, until i installed the video driver. On the first reboot after installing the driver Windows loads normally until right before the welcome screen. The display goes black and display LED blinks. I can tell Windows still continues to load because i can hear the startup sound from my speakers and the harddisk activity looks normal too. The system will even shutdown properly with a single push on the power switch. So no crashes or anything, just no display output. Booting to safe mode is fine. In safe mode you can remove the Nvidia driver in Device Manager so you can boot back to normal mode again.
ssthanapati
try checking what frequency u are running the monitor . if it dosent support.. then u wont see anything... Also u may try installing an older driver. The graphics card on my pc works better with old drivers