FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

REALLY small applications

greenwoodmonkey
Ok, I recently gave my girlfriend my beloved Toshiba Libretto 100ct... (if you have no idea what this is, look on google, cos they really are sight to been seen and at nearly 10 years old I still think pretty cutting edge!)

It's standard spec (So; Pentium 100, 32Mb RAM, 6Gb HDD) but loaded now with Windows XP Pro (and yes it works fine, and I have never complained about any major speed issues)...

She loves it, but wants more... (don't they all!) she wants to be able to run Word and Excel on it, but I am worried about the size of the Apps... I don't want to eat too much into the (now depleted with XP Pro) HDD space putting on these mammoth programmes.

Can anyone help me on this one....

1 : Is there anywhere I can download really small freeware apps that will work with the word and excel?

2 : Can anyone tell me, if I was able to get a copy of it could I install MS Mobile on the unit (like on a handheld device?)

Thanks in advance
Georgeboy
It would really surprise me if you can run any application without getting stuck on that machine using xp pro. Especially your RAM is to less. If you don't want to expand that RAM, maybe you could install an earlier version of windows. I'm just thinking about win95. Office97 should work fine in that configuration. I think that every installation you will do above xp, will slow down her computer. It wouldn't surprise me if she should lose her patience...

If you haven't a copy of win95, try win98 but I wouldn't go higher than this...

But if you still want to use xp pro, try installing openoffice.org. It is almost the same as MS office.

Greetz
White Monkey
I am extremly surprised that you got XP Pro running on a laptop that has 32MB RAM. I don't think that you will be able to run Word/ Excel on their own let alone both of them. So I think your pretty stuck. Just get her a better laptop with better specs if you want to run programs like that...

Come too think of it, you may be able too run older versions of excel and word, but they have to be like one of the oldest versions...
Stubru Freak
Try Writely and Google Spreadsheets. They're an online word and excel alternative by Google, so you won't have to install anything.
varun_dodla
Its nice to have small apps do the work atleast near to their bigger counterparts. I never tried on a pc but think u can try portable apps. You will get a whole lot of apps that could fit in just 512MB....u can always choose only the one you want. So, try this...

http://portableapps.com/

Hope it helps.
greenwoodmonkey
varun_dodla wrote:
Its nice to have small apps do the work atleast near to their bigger counterparts. I never tried on a pc but think u can try portable apps. You will get a whole lot of apps that could fit in just 512MB....u can always choose only the one you want. So, try this...

http://portableapps.com/

Hope it helps.

Thanks for this one... really appreciate the help
Thanks too everyone else.. in my defence, yes I could go out and buy a new laptop, but why waste something that is working perfectly fine.

Yes I am running Win XP Pro and no, it'd not too slow...

If I could install another version of Windows I would go for Windows portable, if anyone knows of a way to do this it would be apprecaited... in fact.. I am gonna start a new thread on that very subject...

Laters

Paul
must_rudi
great advice \Dancing