FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

issue with starting pc up (linux/grub related)

IceNinjaa
so i just moved into college last saturday. before i left my mom wanted me to take off linux, ubuntu to be more exact from the computer. now i got rid of ubuntu. but when she starts up the computer grub loads and has error 17 since ubuntu is no longer there. i tried having her boot from the xp disc. however that didnt quite work. it would go to a grey screen then go back to grub and not work.

any help with the situation would be great.
modak
IceNinjaa wrote:
so i just moved into college last saturday. before i left my mom wanted me to take off linux, ubuntu to be more exact from the computer. now i got rid of ubuntu. but when she starts up the computer grub loads and has error 17 since ubuntu is no longer there. i tried having her boot from the xp disc. however that didnt quite work. it would go to a grey screen then go back to grub and not work.

any help with the situation would be great.

Boot into Windows, open up a command terminal and type in fdisk /mbr

This will erase Grub and put in Windows bootloader,

HTH
lSaKenl
if you want it easier, boot with the ubuntu cd and go to the shell and type
Code:
lilo

if it didnt work type
Code:
liloconfig

it'll recognize that there's only windows installed and will leave only windows choosing into the lilo, she just gotta press intro key to enter windows
{name here}
Install the smart boot manager. It'll be the last boot manager you'll ever need since it auto senses partitions, supports booting from nearly any drive on your computer when you want to, etc. When installing any OS you'll never have to install a new boot manager, nor rush to put in a setup CD after turning on your computer.
http://btmgr.webframe.org/
myrevolt
Having the Ultimate Boot CD around is quite handy. Also keep Knoppix around; if you still have Ubuntu you could chroot in and fix grub, though if you don't then you'll just want to overwrite it as modak said: boot from the XP disk and go to Recovery Console and fix the master boot record.
Animal
modak wrote:
Boot into Windows, open up a command terminal and type in fdisk /mbr

Do Not Do This!
This is the incorrect command and may cause more damage. To fix the problem, insert your windows CD into the disk drive then boot your computer. It should automatically detect the CD and ask if you want to boot from it. Do so, then load Windows Recovery Console. This will open up a command line prompt (a bit like MS Dos). Type the following:

fixmbr

Then fonfirm by hitting "y". This means Fix Master Boot Record. It will replace your boot record with the default Windows one and should remove all traces of Grub.

Hope this helps Very Happy