FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Scripting Language

sarapicoazul
Hi all,

What is the best scripting language for web development and why ? Perl, Python or PHP ?

Thanks,

CR
eznet
I cannot attest to "the best" but I can say that although all the languages listed have extensive support in the way of resources, php I think has the most; especially pertaining to web dev. Admittedly, I have used perl little and python less but this has come, in part, as a result of the vast amount of php fanatical support, but then again is lacking the serious meat of a real language that python has...... just one idiot’s take tho.

Ez
internetjobs
i am using php and perl, i thing both are very good for website design..
White Monkey
I really love PHP and Perl, it's what I use and I get on fine with it, I love it.
PseudoKnight
For most things PHP is better and/or easier to use than Perl, except for parsing. I can't say I've used any of the other server-side program languages.
saurabh.sauron
Server Side- PHP (I love it!!!)
General- Javascript
also, Python is quite good and easy to learn...
dac_nip
The question dude, is not which is the "best", rather which server side script suits my need, although you can pretty much do things that you can do in one script using php or perl or python. If you are a beginner, I recommend PHP, it is easy to learn and has lots of support and comprehensive documentation.
Shin
I have used php and perl. Most of the job can be accomplished by them in a quite straight forward way. So yeah, I think they are good.
snowboardalliance
I only know php, and I heard that it is easier for the web because HTML can be mixed in without a problem but perl is different. PHP was easy to learn any way and it does what I need.
redice
No best but fit. I think you may choose a script which your friends choose, so you can get help from them.
blueray
PHP

Personally, this is because the syntax of it very much like c / c++ and javascript, as this speed up your learning curve with basic contruct similar.

The other still best, but they provide diffrent syntax than first one such as in perl, the sub rountine is define as sub setDisplay.

PHP and perl provide larger library for development powerfull web application.

I haven't used python before, but I think it provide some function as well.
rayx
I mostly used PHP and JAVASCRIPT for web development because of its C/C++ coding style.
purcebr
I think that they're good for different things, obviously. you're not going to use Javascript for anything too important, because it's clientside, and so you can't depend on it the way you can with php or perl (Server side scripting languages) Php and perl can accomplish many of the same things. You will notice, however, that there are a lot of useful functions in PHP that makes it the ideal language for Posgres or MySQL powered websites. The perl REGEX system makes it a useful for file parsing applications, though, so it still has a purpose on the web in a world of php
GameFreak
I think that it's PHP.
ck88
I use PHP for server side scripting and JavaScript for client side scripting. The next thing I will look into is Ruby.
okullar
PHP is similar to C and other programming languages. But I dont know much about the others...
exarkun
I think php is the one i uses more nowadays. I try to avoid javascript, as using too muxh of it doesn't benefit the page. It tends to drag down the page performance when used extensively.
SerendipityRose
ck88 wrote:
I use PHP for server side scripting and JavaScript for client side scripting. The next thing I will look into is Ruby.

I don't think Ruby works on here yet, though. I hope they do get it installed on here.
jrs32
This is actually a matter of opinion. HTML, PHP, Perl, etc. all have their advantages and disadvantages. My personal favorites are ASP.net and PHP.

PHP and ASP are both very easy to learn and you can do many things with them. They are also very stable especially if you would like to have password protected pages and such. In the end it is really up to you.
redice
It depend your application. Some CMS use PHP like phpBB, wordpress, xoops etc. If you like to use the webserives which some of the M$ service like outlook or NT Domain based service, it better to use M$ ASP.

Python is a best script for your web application too. Google blog use it as the server script backend.
BeGe
sarapicoazul wrote:
Hi all,

What is the best scripting language for web development and why ? Perl, Python or PHP ?

Thanks,

CR

Python is clean and simple with easy to find documentation.
With interesting features like indentation being part of the syntax.

Perl is full of strangeness and funny characters. Hard to read documentation
with loads of special cases you have to understand to get things right.
Some things can be easier (well, smaller) in Perl, like regular expressions that are
part of the language.
ER6F_pilot
PHP is easy to start with. You can get web pages to do small things in real quick time. Connecting to MySql can also be very fast & simple. There will come a time when you have complex software and this is where Python moves ahead (In my opinion).

I think most people will get a lot done with PHP. When you reach the PHP limits flicking over to Python will be very easy as you will be pretty good at that stage.
{name here}
sarapicoazul wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks,

CR

Personally I use PHP because it's easy to learn and gets the job done. However, Ruby and Rails and Python are supposedly superiour and you might want to check those out later if you're on a webhost that supports them. I suggest avoiding python if you don't want to be forced to indent your code the way the python developers want you to indent it.
csoftdev
I use php as it is free and it is very flexible. I have been using it for many years for various projects that I have completed. Main thing is, it can be easily available on any web hosts out there.
swizzy
PHP is the best, its widely supported, distributed, and documented.

saurabh.sauron wrote:

python, easy learn??? i never managed to get a hello world in my browser with python Evil or Very Mad
bulek
I vote for PHP + MySQL as well, they are the most spread and therefore you will get the best support.
eznet
swizzy wrote:
PHP is the best, its widely supported, distributed, and documented.

saurabh.sauron wrote:

python, easy learn??? i never managed to get a hello world in my browser with python Evil or Very Mad

Hmm... really? stick this in your cgi and smoke it Wink

Code:
#!/usr/bin/python

# Required header that tells the browser how to render the text.
print "Content-Type: text/plain\n\n"

# Print a simple message to the display window.
print "Hello, World!\n"

I have really grown to like python. PHP is nice, and is very well documented, but there is a lot to be said about the power and control available when hacking around in Python. Also, I have really grown to appreciate the indention over bracketing convention - less obfuscated IMHO.