FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I Learned Binary Today :D

izcool
In my Computer Repair class today, I learned how to do Binary, by converting from the Decimal form of letters and characters into the 0's and 1's in Binary. I thought it would be really hard, but it turned out to be quite easy.

I'll tell what I've learned today here and give an example sheet in a thumbnail that I written by hand at the bottom of this post.

You start off with these numbers on the top of your paper - 128, 64, 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, and 1. Leave some space in between these numbers as you'll be needing it. These are multiples of two. For insance, you multiply 2 * 1 and you get 2. You multiply 2 * 2 and you get 4. You multiply 4 * 2 and you get eight. And so on.

You have to find out the ASCII Decimal number for the character that you want to write in Binary. (Get the number from the "DEC" column from this website - http://www.lookuptables.com/).

Write that number and the character/letter that you want to make next to the 128 digit, and maybe even a little bit below that number.

For this example, I'm going to use the letter "I", which has the number 73 for the Decimal number.

What you need to do is you need to try to fit each of those numbers from the top of the paper into the number 73. You cannot fit 128 into 73, so you write a 0 under the 128 number. (Put simply, 0 is "off" or "no" and 1 is "on" or "yes").

You can, however, fit 64 into 73. Below the number 73, you subtract 64 from it and get 9. Put a 1 under the number 64.

You cannot fit 32 or 16 into 9. So write 2 0's under 32 and 16.

You can fit 8 into 9, so subtract 8 from 9, and you get 1. Write a 1 under 8.

You cannot fit 4 or 2 into 1, so write 0's under 4 and 2.

You can fit 1 into 1, so write a 1 under 1.

You should get 01001001 for the letter "I".

Interesting isn't it ? It's not very hard, but it is a long process to do (since there's 8 digits for only one character) and a lot of math to work through.

I recommend you to use this Binary Converter to check your work : http://nickciske.com/tools/binary.php

Here's my hand-written example for writing "FriHost" out in Binary. Very Happy

http://s03.imagehost.org/0840/binary.jpg

Sorry, the image is kinda big in viewable size, but it's only 177KB.

- Mike.
Hammy
Wow, thats pritty neat!! Very Happy
You've just taught me basics of binary! lol, thanks Smile
Good work! Smile
Vrythramax
That's a much simpler method than I was taught Wink

Now if I could only remember why I had to learn it.
mathiaus
I learned Binary a long time ago (1 year approx). The best part of it was understanding the 'famous' binary logic phrase;
Quote:
There are 10 types of people. Those that do understand Binary, and those that don't

If anyone does any Cisco courses, you have to be able to convert decimal to binary, binary to decimal, decimal to hex, hex to decimal, binary to hex and hex to binary; quickly and without a calculator. Its horrible Twisted Evil
(thats only the half of it, addition, subtraction, division and multiplication of each, floating point binary, bitmasks etc !)

Also if you do other courses at college or whatever, you work on Assembly language where you print stuff out using binary values (well usually ASCII but the college seems to have changed it to make it more time consuming).

All steming from the one and naught mentioned before in your first post Very Happy
alkady
I havent learnt Binary Yet, But it should be the next thing I learn after PHP and such!

But is a Interesting thing because where talking 1 & 0's, Thats interesting!
HoboPelican
Old timer here....I had to program my first home brew computer in binary back in the mid seventies. Laughing I was Soooooo glad when I got a hexadecimal (base 16) keyboard. Of course, I had it easier than my friend who used a different chip set and got stuck having to learn Octal (base Cool

Thank the lord for progress! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snowboardalliance
I learned it last year in computer programming. The whole thing with like how many 1s, 2s, 4s, 8s, etc. is just like when you first learned about 1s, 10s, 100s, 1000s, etc. in elementary school. We also learned about addition, subtraction, and multiplcation.
mschnell
I want to write a program to encrypt messages by shifting the bits around on one host, then sending it, and then re-assemblling it on the other end. I'm sure this has been done hundreds of times before, but I'm pretty sure after last semester I could do it. I think it'd be a good practice. Our proff had us write a port scanner last semester--you'd be supprised how easy that is:D.
k_s_baskar
Wow Nice,

PPls in this World can be Calssified into 10 types

1.Who knows Binary
2. Who don't know anything about Binary.
Smile
Note: 1st type of ppls cross this post with smile and Second type will search for remaining 8 types of ppl Smile
nazty
Tho hexadecimal is quite more exciting. :p We're geeks here!
AaronJizzles
wow, thats pretty cool, i never saw the point to learning it since it seems like a hard process what with it only being two nuumbers and stuff like that. you make it seem pretty easy though. thats pretty cool that they taught you that, but what are you going to use it for?

-AaronJizzles
-+Enigma_84958+-
well thats cool Very Happy
Hylian-Knight
Bah, I hate Binary and anything else that requires even a moment of thought. So that means I hate the internet. Crying or Very sad
AG007
I learn binary long time ago, and forgot it.
Thanks for reminding me, izcool Smile
m00tmuffin
neat...thanks for the tutorial! I learned it a few years ago and have only remembered bits and pieces of it but the way you explained it was a lot more simplistic then what I learned back then, so danke. :O
Ray Gravin
weird? I just learned how to read binary the other day myself? small world.
-SonyGamer
Good job dude~! I could never learn binary, though. I just use a website that translates words into binary or vice-versa. Razz
David_Pardy
Translating between binary and hex is also very easy:

0 = 0000
1 = 0001
5 = 0101
A = 1010
F = 1111
etc.

To convert from decimal to HEX, just work out the binary value of the decimal value, eg.

277 = 256 + 16 + 4 + 1 = 1001 0101

You then pretend each set of 4 bits is just a value from 0 - 16:
1001 = 9
0101 = 5

Therefore 277 in decimal equals 95 in hexadecimal.

Playing with binary/hex/dec is actually quite easy when it's sunk in completely!
jcvincent
so you're studying about networking right now? probably subnetting. good work! I hate networking but its also our subject. hehe.
David_Pardy
Whoops, lets pretend my example was supposed to be for getting the hex representation of 149, NOT 277!!

So 149 decimal = 10010101 binary = 95 hex
277 decimal = 0001 00010101 = 115 hex

Whoops made another mistake Wink.

I haven't done this since I finished my networking course two years ago... and I hate maths so cut me some slack Smile
hack_man_
Can you convert Binary to ASCII? Try these!
Code:
01000101_01110110_01100101_01110010_01111001_01100010_01101111_01100100_01111001_00100000
_01010011_01101001_01101110_01100111_00100000_01100001_00100000_01010011_01101111_01101110
_01100111_00100001_00100000_01000100_01101111_01101111_00100000_01000100_01100001_01101000
_00100001_00100000_01000100_01101111_01101111_00100000_01000100_01100001_01101000_00100001

Code:
01000010_01111001_01110100_01100101_00100000_01001101_01100101_00100001_00100001

I put in underscores to help make the words easier to convert manually. I don't know binary so I just use a converter on the net!
roadruner
i remember we learnt that once in school
but i wasn't really that excited Wink
that's why i got myself a calculator ;>
The Czar
Whoah ... I like it, I remembered learning it but I forgot ... Nice handwriting ...
sushi-cat
Wow....that is crazy confusing....but im totally printing this out and studying it.

Thanks!
Karl
I think I have stumbled across binary numbers a couple of times in my time at the university (physics) and I have never had any practical use for them.

But maybe sometime in the future and then as someone said earlier
Quote:
It's pretty neat
Hitman.
i still don't understand how people can do that without a converter from the internet.
mschnell
Hitman. wrote:
i still don't understand how people can do that without a converter from the internet.

I don't see why anyone would want to. It at least seems, like an extremely dull pass-time. Maybe you should try to make a program that converts it all for you. Smile
Kaisonic
However neat that is, it is quite pointless to know. I mean, it's not like programmers these days write programs in binary. That just wouldn't make sense and take too much time. That's why we made computers. So they can do all the dirty work with binary code and such. As for converting something to binary, that's also not all that useful.

Sorry for the seemingly negative input, but I need some points, so I wrote stuff....Smile
Assiez
The comp classes below me are learning binary and hex too.

They're using java to write a converter apparently. The class has gotten a lot better since I took it.
Daniel15
Ah yes, I remember learning binary. I once wrote a program for my borrowed TI-83 calculator which would convert a decimal number to binary (unfortunately, I lost it due to an accidentally memory clearing Razz). Which reminds me, I should write a new one for my TI-89 Titanium Smile

Quote:
If anyone does any Cisco courses, you have to be able to convert decimal to binary, binary to decimal, decimal to hex, hex to decimal, binary to hex and hex to binary; quickly and without a calculator.

Heh, I did the Cisco CCNA 1+2 last year, and we didn't really do anything in Hex. We just used decimal and binary Smile
guissmo
Here's how to do the other version of converting.
I don't know if this is better.

You start off with a random number. Let's say... 110.

Divide 110 by 2, you get 55. No remainder.
Divide 55 by 2, you get 27. Remainder 1.
Divide 27 by 2, you get 13. Remainder 1.
Divide 13 by 2, you get 6. Remainder 1.
Divide 6 by 2, you get 3. No Remainder.
Divide 3 by 2, you get 1. Remainder 1.
Divide 1 by 2, you get 0. Remainder 1.
Divide 0 by 2, you get 0. No remainder.

Now, starting from the last statement's remainder list them:

Done.
Vrythramax
guissmo wrote:
Here's how to do the other version of converting.
I don't know if this is better.

You start off with a random number. Let's say... 110.

Divide 110 by 2, you get 55. No remainder.
Divide 55 by 2, you get 27. Remainder 1.
Divide 27 by 2, you get 13. Remainder 1.
Divide 13 by 2, you get 6. Remainder 1.
Divide 6 by 2, you get 3. No Remainder.
Divide 3 by 2, you get 1. Remainder 1.
Divide 1 by 2, you get 0. Remainder 1.
Divide 0 by 2, you get 0. No remainder.

Now, starting from the last statement's remainder list them:

Done.

errr....that certainly cleared up any questions I may have had.
nilsmo
I learned binary in elementary school - pretty fundamental stuff.

This is decimal 56:
5*10^1 + 5*10^0

This is binary 10:
1*2^1 + 0*2^0

So the difference is between the *2^ and the *10^...
Scott
Binary is pretty fun, it seems like programming a binary converter (if you know a language) would probably take less time than converting a whole sentence though haha. It's good to know how it works all the same.

Jurado
If you need to divide a binair number by 2, you just need the delete the last binairy number. Can be usefull in programming.

It is logical, isn't it? if you have decimal 2000 and you divide it by 10; You're also deleting the last number, it is 200 then. It is because decimal systems ha ve 10 "numbers", Binairy systems have 2 "numbers", You can do it also for Hexadecimal, you devide by 16, Decimal systems have 16 "numbers".

grttz,
caroline
cool !
are you sure this wasn't a computer science class? Very Happy
Vrythramax
caroline wrote:
cool !
are you sure this wasn't a computer science class? Very Happy

Um...huh?? Confused
Raijenki
I never learned how to write words in binary, only numbers (because a teacher of 4th Grade of Elementary teached me XD)...
nilsmo
Scott wrote:
Binary is pretty fun, it seems like programming a binary converter (if you know a language) would probably take less time than converting a whole sentence though haha. It's good to know how it works all the same.

There are already a few of these programs. For example: http://www.theskull.com/javascript/ascii-binary.html
duckling
thanks, it's really a good guide to learn basics of binary Wink

i now learned writing in binary which i were trying to learn Very Happy