FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Background Processes in Windows XP

Phil
I recently posted a topic on building a new system. Thanks to everyone who gave their advice.
Unfortunately, I wussed out, and bought a Dell XPS 400. I'm not overly dissappointed though. It's leaps and bounds above what I had before.
Anyway, my question is about all those things running in the background. I've always heard about preinstalled Dell junk and I'm not that familiar with XP yet. So I really don't know what needs to be running and what doesn't.
Could someone enlighten me on what needs to be turned off?
By the way, you could also tell me just HOW to turn it off to.
Like I said, I'm still feeling out XP.
LukeakaDanish
This is HOW to turn stuff of:

Press "Start -> run"
Write msconfig - press ok
When the msconfig window opens, go to the startup tab
In here is a list of all the programs which get started as your computer starts.

Now...the trick is to remove everything your not 100% you want to keep!
(read: REMOVE EVERYTHING)

I have helped loads of my friend by unchecking pretty much their entire list - and they're always like:
Quote:
Wow! Thanks dude, its so much faster now

There are however a couple of things you might want to keep (depending on what your computer is, this may be different):

- "jusched" - makes java run on your computer - which you want it too!
- Your antivirus program
- ...and if you have "rundll" (or something which sounds like that) you might wanna keep it too (im not so sure what it does, however it sounds like sometihng "windowsee")...i dont have it, but i often see it on other peoples computers...

Finally, remember that there is nothing you can uncheck that can "kill" your computer, so you can always check 'em all again, if something stops working...
{name here}
MSCONFIG is for troubleshooting problems, and not actually solving them. You should not use it to turn off things. Instead use other applications. BestTechie.net's forums have links to excellent tools to do this.

Other than that my advice to you is to search Digg. There are a few stories there that link to places that will show you what Windows XP processes you can trash and ones that you shoudn't.
LukeakaDanish
{name here} wrote:
MSCONFIG is for troubleshooting problems, and not actually solving them. You should not use it to turn off things. Instead use other applications. BestTechie.net's forums have links to excellent tools to do this.

Other than that my advice to you is to search Digg. There are a few stories there that link to places that will show you what Windows XP processes you can trash and ones that you shoudn't.

Why NOT use it to turn things of?

Also, there arent really any windows xp things which you cant turn off in the startup tab...
{name here}
LukeakaDanish wrote:
{name here} wrote:

Why NOT use it to turn things of?

Also, there arent really any windows xp things which you cant turn off in the startup tab...

http://www.besttechie.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4928&hl=msconfig
Quote:
Never use MSConfig to disable startup programs no matter what others have recommended. MSConfig is for troubleshooting purposes only. If you use it to disable startups and then run the program, you may cause what is known as a memory leak which does all sorts of strange things to your system. And disabling programs and services with it can get you into trouble that only a repair install can get you out of. Please note the warning found on the Microsoft site concerning MSConfig.. Instead, use one of the following startup managers.

That's why you DON'T use MsConfig.

Yes there are other things you can turn off. Type services.msc into run and there are a bunch of useless items for you to turn off if you're not on a corporate network.
Xeniczone
First thing I would do if you buy it from a company is reinstall windows like a retail version. The versions that come with Company computers has a lot of junk software included in it and avertisements. This will help get rid of some of the background tasks.
jon9314
don't use msconfig to change your system. goto control panel > administrator tools > Services.
search google for "black viper" he has a great site that tells you what is needed by your system.
then serch google for "startup inspector" it is free it will help with the startup junk.
myrevolt
Codestuff Starter http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Starter-Download-2345.html is my prefered application. It has a nice interface and lets you monitor your processes (Task Manager) as well as Startups (msconfig). On XP you should see the following tasks (plus others for any other programs you have running):

Code:
alg, csrss, ctfmon, explorer, lsass, mdm, osd, services, smss, spoolvs, svhost (x5), System, System Idle Process, winlogon, wuaudlt

You could of course use a program like HijackThis and post your results so we (or besttechie) can tell you what is likely slowing down your performance.
deanhills
LukeakaDanish wrote:
This is HOW to turn stuff of:

Press "Start -> run"
Write msconfig - press ok
When the msconfig window opens, go to the startup tab
In here is a list of all the programs which get started as your computer starts.

Now...the trick is to remove everything your not 100% you want to keep!
(read: REMOVE EVERYTHING)

I have helped loads of my friend by unchecking pretty much their entire list - and they're always like:
Quote:
Wow! Thanks dude, its so much faster now

There are however a couple of things you might want to keep (depending on what your computer is, this may be different):

- "jusched" - makes java run on your computer - which you want it too!
- Your antivirus program
- ...and if you have "rundll" (or something which sounds like that) you might wanna keep it too (im not so sure what it does, however it sounds like sometihng "windowsee")...i dont have it, but i often see it on other peoples computers...

Finally, remember that there is nothing you can uncheck that can "kill" your computer, so you can always check 'em all again, if something stops working...

Thanks for this posting. I have had my Windows XP Operating Software trying to download automatically "Updates" Software now for days. The most annoying thing is that it is using my system resources and slowing me down. I have no control over what it is doing or anything visual to go by what it is downloading in the background and when it first started was really worried that I had a Virus of sorts. In the end it turned out to be an XP Virus ... yuck! When the download process ended all of a sudden it says I must log out and in to activate the downloads and there is NO option to tell it to go away permanently, the only option is to postpone it. So finally when I relent to log out and in again I then untick all the boxes of the updates, however it takes a few days and then the whole process is repeated again. Grrrrrrr .... so will try the suggestion in your posting many thanks. Smile
singh.gurjeet
I'd recommend reinstalling the XP on your own and _then_ getting rid of your preinstalled XP.

People complain so much about Vista, but since I installed stock Vista Business from a DVD, I have yet to face any issue (except for having to restart Firefox2, coz' its a memory hog).

Also, use services.msc to turn off the services you think you don't need. Read up well on the topic before you try this out; the best way would be to note everything you turned off, so that you could post that on forums if you ever need to.