FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Seaching the website

ainieas
If I wanted to include something that would search my own site for some entered keywords in what script do I have to get something like that done. Are ready made scripts like that available?

I guess my wordings have been bad but what I want to say is suppose someone wants to search for the term "Tokyo", what do I do to display all the articles and pictures in my website with the search term "Tokyo".

Hope that makes it clear. Any help would be much appreciated.
LukeakaDanish
Any easy way to do that would be to register an adsence account, and get a google search box (FREE!). - That way, youve got googles expert search software on your site, and if your visitors choose to "search the web" you may also make a nice bit of ca$h Twisted Evil

https://www.google.com/adsense/
GB
True, but you don't need an adsense account for a free google search box. However, I found a great script that is simple to install at http://www.cs.ioc.ee/~ando/sphider/.
It works great and best of all is free.
ainieas
Thanks for replying guys! I'l check out your references.
z_coil
GB wrote:
True, but you don't need an adsense account for a free google search box.

Really? Could you lead me to the right direction, I don't really want AdSense, that would be perfect! Thanks for all the help!

-Kevin
LukeakaDanish
z_coil wrote:
GB wrote:

Really? Could you lead me to the right direction, I don't really want AdSense, that would be perfect! Thanks for all the help!

If you want, i will use my adsence account to make you a google search box...(quite possibly this is also in my intrest so why not Wink)

Just PM me if your interested...
pumpkin168
that's a fair disclaimer.
On the other hand, I am not so certain whether adsense account allows you to use your account on sites you don't really own, even though the owner agree to allow such 'trespassing' to pick a low & easy fruit? Confused
LukeakaDanish
pumpkin168 wrote:
that's a fair disclaimer.
On the other hand, I am not so certain whether adsense account allows you to use your account on sites you don't really own, even though the owner agree to allow such 'trespassing' to pick a low & easy fruit? Confused

That way they save the hassle of checking the owner of every website.

Also, that way you could essentially put adsence add's on advertisement space you brought from other people.
GB
Google offers the source code for free. I used to have it on my site, but there were better options for me, because I didn't want Google's name over everything. It was also a little harder for me to customize appearance too, as I remember.
Georgeboy
If you really want to make your own searchengine for your own webpage. You better make use of php and mysql. If you put all your texts in a mysql database, it will be possible to search a keyword through all the records. If you make a second column in your database that includes the url, you can fix the searched keyword to that url. With php you will be able to write a new page with the searchresults.
Another possibility is to make a table with only some keywords, not the whole text, and link that to the url of the page the keyword is standing on... This could be a safety rule, so people will not search about keywords like "is, the..."

I hope this could help you some further on?

Greetz