FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

External Hardrive to Netwrok Hardrive?

jarred89
Hello,
I was wondering if i could convert my Extrernal Hardrive which is USB into a network drive where i plug it into my router using an ethernet cable. They have some adapters on ebay for USB to ethernet. I was wondering if this would work does anyone know if this would work??

Thanks
Jarred
ezekiel_rage
jarred89 wrote:
Hello,
I was wondering if i could convert my Extrernal Hardrive which is USB into a network drive where i plug it into my router using an ethernet cable. They have some adapters on ebay for USB to ethernet. I was wondering if this would work does anyone know if this would work??

Thanks
Jarred

Short answer, No.

Unless, your router is a dedicated PC configured as a router, its possible. If not then you're out of luck.

It cant, simply because there will be no OS to serve/share or even point to your external drive. The machines attached to the router will not see it, because it simply does not exist in the network.

And those USB to Ethernet adapters are for connecting LAN cables to the USB port, allowing you to connect to the network even without an internal LAN card installed INSIDE your PC.

Its just an external LAN card that attaches to the USB port and not the other way around.

You wont be able to connect your drives USB plug to the Ethernet port of your router.

Hope this helps Wink
badai
no u can't.

1. the adapter is for USB to RJ45, not RJ45 to USB

2. you can never assigned IP to that drive.

u can get a network storage device to do that.
jarred89
Ok thanks for the help.
jarred89
badai wrote:

u can get a network storage device to do that.

What is it?
badai
Google Rocks!
jarred89
Is there something you can connect to the external hardrive to make it work as a NAS
badai
a cheap second hand computer maybe. install win me or use linux & samba.