FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Military Career

Ghost1941
I have considered joining the military for 4 years but nobody I know really has anything to say about it. If any members here have any suggestions on what branch, or advantages to certain programs I'd like to discuss them. I've looked into the Army WOFT program, but I also plan on serving as a Law Enforcement Officer after I get out and really can't decide on what route to take. I have taken the ASVAB test but the recruiters just constantly push me towards jobs that I don't think I would like that much. Anybody in the military that could share some of your experiences.

Thanks Alot.
rafifaisal
hi there,
I would only encourage people to join the army.
I have served a total of 5 years in the army as an airborne infantarist.
I have always been a skiny, shy guy but the army gave me the self believe and confidence to face life's problems.
Not to mention that I have made life time friends.
The kind of guys that I can rely on.
So if you have any quistions on the army please feel free to ask.

PS i was in the belgian army
jwellsy
If I had it to do over again I would join the Air Force.
Advancement would be faster in the in other branches,
But over all quality of life is best in the Air Force.
Most places you go and do, your family can go with you.
You would also have the highest possability/probability of
having a long term carrear without being physicly or mentaly hurt.

Look into Air Force ROTC. The perks and pay to commissioned officers
is in a tottaly different league than enlisted pay grades and jobs.

If you enjoy seeing what your body can really do, then try out for SEALS.

The Navy and Coast Guard can be interesting for the travel, but prison inmates have more luxuries and rights than you do while out at sea. Not conducive to any kind of happy stable home life.

If you just like taking orders, then maybe the Marines or Army are for you.

What ever you decide make sure you get everything that the recruiter promises you down in writing. They are one of the biggest bunch of liars you will ever come in contact with. Those bastards will say and promise anything to keep their recruitment numbers up so they can keep their recruiter positions.

I was screwed out of a $5K bonus that I was promised after completing a school, yet while I was in that school the bonus incentive was dropped and because I didn't have that obligation in writing, I got screwed.

Get as many schools as possible,
guarrenteed in writing before you sign up.
damj
jwellsy wrote:
If you just like taking orders, then maybe the Marines or Army are for you.

Oh please, there is alot more to the Army and Marine than just following orders. There alot of good technical specialties that you can get into. In all the services, at first you have to "only obey orders", but as you get more rank, you get more authority.

When I joined the military in 1987, I was ready to join the Air National Guard until 2 good friends came home from Marine Corps boot camp. I could see the difference that it made in their lives, and I decided that I wanted to get me some of that, so I joined the Marine Corps Reserves. To this day, I'm glad that I joined the Marines.

Bottom line is, see what each branch has to offer and what is best for you. The military is what you make of it.
mrgzilnik
I attended the Air Force Academy, and also enlisted for four years in the AIr Force. I thought that the Air Force was the best way to become a pilot, though it turns out that if flying is your goal, Navy aviation is better preparation.

Still, I suspect that the Air Force offers a better lifestyle than the other services. Oddly, though, the Air Force seems to abuse the most talented. I had a nearly complete engineering degree when I enlisted, and they forced me into a menial job category, even though they were begging for qualified people in the technical fields. The joke was on them, however, as I quite enjoyed my job, and certainly excelled at it. When my term of enlistment was up, though, there was no chance I'd re-enlist, or enter officer training. Their poor handling of my career reminded me that I was not important within the military machine. I opted out, finished my engineering degree within six months, and worked my way to Director of a division within ten years.
angels
Still, I suspect that the Air Force offers a better lifestyle than the other services. Oddly, though, the Air Force seems to abuse the most talented. I had a nearly complete engineering degree when I enlisted, and they forced me into a menial job category, even though they were begging for qualified people in the technical fields. The joke was on them, however, as I quite enjoyed my job, and certainly excelled at it. When my term of enlistment was up, though, there was no chance I'd re-enlist, or enter officer training. Their poor handling of my career reminded me that I was not important within the military machine. I opted out, finished my engineering degree within six months, and worked my way to Director of a division within ten years.

i think that rigth but air force rules
damj
mrgzilnik wrote:
...I had a nearly complete engineering degree when I enlisted, and they forced me into a menial job category, even though they were begging for qualified people in the technical fields.

Reminds me of what a Marine buddy of mine saw ... two new officers ... the one with a hospitality degree was assigned to an air wing, and the one with the engineering degree was assigned to a supply unit.
Rico
The army will teach you interesting things about life. One of my favorites is the philosophy of hurry up and wait. Another good one is eat your food as fast as you can and then run until you puke it all up again. Have fun in the military I suppose there’s a big difference between conscription and voluntary.