FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

$1400 bottle of clown sauce... er, computer

a.Bird
Don't ask me how, but I came across this website with Macintosh LC II specs. Realllly old Mac with 16Mhz cpu speed, 4mb memory, 40mb hdd, etc. What really struck me was that the original price, when it came out in March 23, 1992, was $1400. Shocked

Today, $1400 can get you either a kickass prebuilt Media Center PC, an XBox 360 and tons of games and peripherals, very sophisticated prostitutes, or... actually $1400 is just a lot of money. I'm also assuming that the Mac LC II was one of the leading technologies in the computer industry at the time it was released, on top of the fact that Apple is notorious for outrageous prices.

It really strikes me as funny to think that the system I'm on, continually upgraded and built with my own two hands and fast enough to run everything I need it to, will be completely obsolete in probably 3 or 4 years, about 6 to 7 years from the time it was the pinnacle of technological progress for computers. Yet because of the way production technologies advance as well, it's always getting cheaper to make older stuff. The worst part is that I'll be completely satisfied with Photoshop CS2 until the next leap in Adobe's Photoshop line emerges and I'll have to get it, despite the face that I'll need to upgrade all my hardware again to handle the software's capacities.

What are your thoughts? On Apple's $1400 calculator, the rate of technological growth in the computer idustry (not just home computers but computer systems in general), etc. Whatever you wanna say just speaks it. Smile
Blaster
You wouldn't catch me buying one. Thats way to expensive. I can't get over that. Thanks for shareing that too Very Happy
Jack_Hammer
If it wasn't (and isn't) for rich people buying old PCs for that then we wouldn't have PCs like we do today so I am gratful people bought those hunk of junks, and in ten or twenty years ours will seem so old. The same is happeneing with space travel, rich people are buying there way into space travel and they are putting a lot of money into making better space craft for later generations just like the first motor cars would of done (Or steam engines rather).
izcool
I have 2 Apple computers, both of which I looked up on the same site, which have their own specifiations pages too.

The first (and older machine) that I have is an Apple Power Macintosh 7200/75 (showing that it was worth $1700 when it was new), with my second system being a Apple Power Macintosh 6500/225 (showing that it was worth $1800 - $2000 new). I got the first system for $20 and the second system for free.

I can only regard these two systems as expensive calculators, typewriters (without printers), puzzle games, and CD players.

Remember this - back in the day when computers were in their prime, they were in dedicated rooms and only did a simple math equation. More than likely, your desktop computer is faster than the computers used on the space shuttles in 1969 to send the astonauts to the moon and back safely.

- Mike.
HoboPelican
Blaster wrote:
You wouldn't catch me buying one. Thats way to expensive. I can't get over that. Thanks for shareing that too Very Happy

LOL, you already did! Any 'puter existing today is gonna be a "calculator" in a few years...it's just the nature of electronics. Laughing I don't even want to calculate how much I spent since I made my first 6800 based unit back in the mid 70's. Scary!!
alkady
a.Bird wrote:

Today, $1400 can get you either a kickass prebuilt Media Center PC, an XBox 360 and tons of games and peripherals, very sophisticated prostitutes,

You got to be kidding? Just last week I was on a Low Rider downtown and saw a bunch of Prostitutes cruising on the sidewalk.

So me and my Friends took our hands out and yelled...BANG! and everyone of them just went ducking everywhere, Under the cars etc.

LOL, Just Joking, Just couldn't resist.

Anyway, Apples has always been Expensive. Even back when the Apple Lisa was out, It cost like over $6,000 with inflations would amount to $8,000+.

What I hate about computers is things become worthless fast. Heck macs are worth less than PC when they are old, A 1992 PC can be bought for as low as $59.00 while a mac would be worth less!

Laptops still manage to pick up more but yet they are less performant than their PC Counterpart!
myrevolt
I'll stick with my $120 TI-89 calculator thank you very much
Andrew426
I had an apple 2E a few years ago, but for some reason the cover was off and i put a glass of water down inside it - I wonder how much that was worth new.

I think about things like this all the time. For example, if I see an abandoned car on the side of the road i think to myself "wow, a few years ago someone paid their hard earned cash for that car, but now its just basically worthless - I wonder what the first owner would have thought if he/she could have looked into the future and seen it as it is now."
a.Bird
I don't know why I didn't think of this until just now, but the cool thing about old junk is that you have the opportunity to create something either useful or just completely artistic out of it without making a dent in your pocket. I grabbed a free NES from someone and turned it into a waterpipe. It lit up and played music internally, while also fully functional as a smoking device. Very stellar piece of equipment that was fun to make and fun to use, and cost about 5 dollars all together in parts.
_-WU-_-TANG-_
Jeez. That's highway robbery. I wouldn't pay that much for a calculator. A computer yeah, but wow..a calculator.
HoboPelican
a.Bird wrote:
I don't know why I didn't think of this until just now, but the cool thing about old junk is that you have the opportunity to create something either useful or just completely artistic out of it without making a dent in your pocket. I grabbed a free NES from someone and turned it into a waterpipe. It lit up and played music internally, while also fully functional as a smoking device. Very stellar piece of equipment that was fun to make and fun to use, and cost about 5 dollars all together in parts.

Give me your address... I now know where to send all my old junk! Laughing

Just kidding....But seriously, turning them into art isn't a bad idea if you have an artistic bent...and an understanding wife!

<EDIT

@ _-WU-_-TANG-_ LOL, it WAS a computer...he was just commenting on it being obsolete and not much more than a calculator now.
standready
izcool wrote:
Remember this - back in the day when computers were in their prime, they were in dedicated rooms and only did a simple math equation. More than likely, your desktop computer is faster than the computers used on the space shuttles in 1969 to send the astonauts to the moon and back safely.

- Mike.

Mike, the current space shuttle computers are nearly equal to an 8088-10. I cannot image what they used in the Apollo spacecraft.

My current computer is a 7 year old AMD Athlon 500Mhz system. I think it cost $1300 new. Had to add a CD burner which $265. The computer runs fine but is getting incapable of handling somethings. I am looking at a 64bit computer as soon as the Christmas season starts and they cut prices for the holidays. I can see getting a good system for probably $600. Would be the first time I spent less than $1000 on a system.
Mayday
ooh ouch, I just cant see anyone paying 1400 dollars for a calculator. lol.
Thatguy
Well, that was cutting edge technology for that time, so I could understand how it could cost that much. High-end computers today are more than that, and people will be laughing at them in 20 years.
scotty
"Est. Current Price: $0 US"

I love it. Computers are a fantastic waste of money.
jongoldsz
If I ever see one of those computers, I'll give the owner $5 and smash the computer wth a bat.
jcvincent
I will not be surprise. Computers here in the Philippines was first cost around 60,000 to 90,000 pesos. That was around $1,500 to $1,900. That's expensive. Thank goodness that computers are now a little bit afforbale here today.
roadruner
well this were times when computer were just taking their place in our lives so no wonder they were so expensive Smile
many years from now people will laugh at how expensive our computes were Wink
-+Enigma_84958+-
why would you pay that much for a caculator Shocked i know i wouldnt
Kaisonic
It is quite an interesting topic to think about. I remember back when the Sega Nomad was brand new and was like $100 (you know, that handheld system the size of a brick that played Sega Genesis games?) Or even the laptop I'm using right now, $600 bargain two years ago. And just this summer, same place, $600 laptop of the same manufacturer with better specs on everything. It's amazing how quickly stuff gets out-of-date, or better yet, how quickly we can develop new and better technologies.
GProject
How many people actually bought these at $1400? I hope not many, because even back when computers weren't commonplace, people had to see that it isn't worth that amount of money for something with so few functions... right?
a.Bird
GProject wrote:
How many people actually bought these at $1400? I hope not many, because even back when computers weren't commonplace, people had to see that it isn't worth that amount of money for something with so few functions... right?

Dude, when my mother bought our first computer it was $1600. It was probably about 8 years ago or so but at the TIME, it was top of the line and had so many functions. Zip drive...OOOOOH oh wow zips drives were SO cool back then. Now they are completely obsolete. Just buy a good gaming computer needed to play $40 PC game, you need to drop almost a grand or more when 5 years from now it'll be worth $200. I don't doubt that people bought this computer when it first came out. Plus, Apple really has a way of dazzling people for some reason.
wombatrpgs
myrevolt wrote:

Same here.
And I read somewhere that computer specifications double every eighteen months, that would certainly explain a lot. But we're going to hit the limit soon... I think.
a.Bird
wombatrpgs wrote:
Same here.
And I read somewhere that computer specifications double every eighteen months, that would certainly explain a lot. But we're going to hit the limit soon... I think.

Sky's the limit, IMO.
wombatrpgs
No, you can't make a subatomic computer... That would be a bit difficult to navigate. And according to string theory, it doesn't get below the planck length.
a.Bird
wombatrpgs wrote:
No, you can't make a subatomic computer... That would be a bit difficult to navigate. And according to string theory, it doesn't get below the planck length.
I will not object to the theory that I cannot make a subatomic computer. By while we're on the discussion of theories, it was only your theory that computer technology will reach a limit, based on the string theory. It's all theoretical and only time will really tell man. I appreciate your opinion but I can only take it for that, unless you'd like to educate me in this area.
nilsmo
wombatrpgs wrote:
Same here.

That's Moore's law...

Just look at the picture of Moore's law - then look at the y axis! Processor have become literally about a thousand times better (if better = more transistors) since 1992! It's pretty insane, and the hope is that this will continue! Very Happy
Scott
Computers are changing so much, it's rpetty nuts. It makes buying a new computer difficult. Do you go for something absolutely top of the line for a really expensive price? Something midground for about 1000? Something that was last years best model for pretty cheap?

HoboPelican
wombatrpgs wrote:
.... But we're going to hit the limit soon... I think.

Why a limit? Circuit size will hit a limit, but they'll just throw in 3, 4,...100 processors. There will alwys be a way to increase the speed and power of puters.
Daniel15
Heh, I remember when I thought my 486 was sooooo powerful Razz. Honestly, 100 mHz is so fast! And I'd never be able to fill up the massive 500 MB hard drive Razz

Anyways, my current computer is a Pentium III 866MHz, 384MB RAM, and 120 GB hard drive. I think it will become obsolete soon, but for now, it's a nice computer Smile

Quote:

Heh, I bought a TI-89 Titanium second-hand recently... It cost me AU$150 (~US$115) Smile
wombatrpgs
HoboPelican wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:
.... But we're going to hit the limit soon... I think.

Why a limit? Circuit size will hit a limit, but they'll just throw in 3, 4,...100 processors. There will alwys be a way to increase the speed and power of puters.

wombatrpgs wrote:

I think I explained it. You can always increase how many processors, yes, but that increases the mass and size. For a conventional computer, there has to be a limit for how many processors you can pack in.
wombatrpgs
[EDIT] Sorry about the double post...
meetul
nilsmo wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:
Same here.

That's Moore's law...

Just look at the picture of Moore's law - then look at the y axis! Processor have become literally about a thousand times better (if better = more transistors) since 1992! It's pretty insane, and the hope is that this will continue! Very Happy

yup! i have also heard that technology doubles and prices becomes one fourth after every 18 months.
nilsmo
myrevolt wrote:

That runs at 16Mhz... Pretty slow... Even compared to that 10 year old computer. In fact the processors on TI-89s and TI-83s are actually the same types of processors found in 15-year-old computers.
rhathar
Those computers were expensive because they were top of the line. Digital solitaire? Now that's pretty cool. The cards even move themselves!

But seriously, if they were still the best we had, people would still be buying them. Databasing alone makes them worthwhile. A computer with 128k of RAM - hell, a computer with only ROM would still save you hundreds of man-hours compiling spreadsheets and employee rosters.

What company, or even techie, wouldn't shell out $1000 for something that would save that much time if done by hand?

Computers have only recently become tools of the masses. Decades ago, businesses and universities that could afford it gladly paid up to and over $10000 for 'super computers' that ran on tapedecks and actually let you network. And that's only if other people had paid another $10000 to connect to that network!
jabapyth
thechnology is evolving so fast... 10 years from now most things will be obsolete and the replacements will be 50x better than they are now.
Daniel15
nilsmo wrote:
myrevolt wrote:

That runs at 16Mhz... Pretty slow... Even compared to that 10 year old computer. In fact the processors on TI-89s and TI-83s are actually the same types of processors found in 15-year-old computers.

Well, since they're calculators, they really don't need to be that fast Razz.
The TI-83/84 use a Z80 running at 16MHz (the same processor in the NES, I believe. Also, I think it was used in the Gameboy). The TI-89 uses a MC68000 (same processor in some of the older Mac's) running at 13 MHz (but it's still more powerful, as the MC68k is a lot more powerful than the Z80
wendy86
wah lau ye.. so expensive o.... I need to work for two month to buy it....
wombatrpgs
nilsmo wrote:
myrevolt wrote:

I don't think it matters. My graphing calculator graphs and calculates, (and runs a few of my own C games...,) and my computer runs the games and high-processor stuff. That doesn't really matter.
Jaiye
a.Bird wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:
Same here.

Sky's the limit, IMO.

until computers start tapping into the brain and the inside of your eyelids become the screen (or even a display within the eye itself), the limit is nowhere near being reached.
wombatrpgs
Jaiye wrote:
a.Bird wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:
Same here.

Sky's the limit, IMO.

until computers start tapping into the brain and the inside of your eyelids become the screen (or even a display within the eye itself), the limit is nowhere near being reached.

I was referringto processing power. There is no limit to how we can creatively apply the tecnology we have, that is truly impossible.
Hylas
Four function is all you need. You can do anything, logs, alg, trig, geo, neo, photo, lick, c++, java, code7, ghggt. anything!

seriously.

Hylas.
snowboardude
yeah, its really true that when you buy the top of the line, tomorrow it will be second-best
Fanghai44
uhh...1400 dollar calculator? most ive seen is ... about 200 bucks
ClanUA
1400 dollar calc? holy shit i think 20 dollar calcs are expensive..
Vrythramax
ClanUA wrote:
1400 dollar calc? holy **** i think 20 dollar calcs are expensive..

*sigh*...Please try reading the original post.
a.Bird
Vrythramax wrote:
ClanUA wrote:
1400 dollar calc? holy **** i think 20 dollar calcs are expensive..

*sigh*...Please try reading the original post.
I thought I was contributing well to this forum with this thread but I think most people have just been taking the title too literally. Haha, haven't we been over this 'literal' discussion before, Vrythramax? Wink
Vrythramax
@a.bird

yeah, we have. I wasn't getting on you, just trying to make the topic a bit clearer for some.

Peace.
rhathar
Rename topic 'Old computers now just $1400 calcs'? But then.. they're only about $10 now, and that's for the gas money to drive to the local recycling center ;P

Or... people can read! Shocked
wsco
thanks for info