FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Drum and Bass

Havingadump
Anyone here a fan of D'n'B ?

I do like a bit of a mixture, but drum and bass is one of my more listened to genres.
disidro
I love DnB, especially when it comes from good artists and musicians and not simple DJs... I listen a lot to Talvin Singh's two albums, in which he blends DnB with indian instruments and voices. It's sublime...
degenre
Lovin drum and bass these days. Over the last decade I've seen some of my favorite styles falling to pieces as they strive to become more POP, but DnB on the other hand just keeps getting better. As far as dance music goes, there is no competition IMHO. Mad ideas and great production- things have definitely changed since the early days of Aphex Twin / Ronni Size etc, and as much as I enjoyed DnB then, I LOVE it now.
Octaeder
Used to be a big fan of the Moving Shadow record label. Mostly because they released a series of hour-long mix cds for 99p each. That appealed to the impoverished student in me.

Don't really listen to it much anymore, but Pendulum caught my eye recently.
Coclus
d and b is great i like it relly much what is your favourite musician there???
ddmak
L love drums & Bass too.

Especially I love this lady's play.
"Rinocerose"

http://www.rinocerose.com/
http://www.v2records.co.jp/rinocerose/060517/images/artistphoto.jpg
Havingadump
Aphex Twin are more what I would call "experimental" musicians than solely drum and bass, but I am still a fan.

If you like that sort of music though, you guys should check out a band called; Squarepusher. They are pretty good IMO.

I quite like Calyx at the moment, get myself to you is one of my favourite songs at the moment.
jamesjolliffe
Hey, can anyone recommend anything in the vein of Venetian Snares or Aphex Twin?
The Mitchell
disidro wrote:
I love DnB, especially when it comes from good artists and musicians and not simple DJs... I listen a lot to Talvin Singh's two albums, in which he blends DnB with indian instruments and voices. It's sublime...

im sorry but i have to say this. Have you ever tried writing music like most 'simple' djs do. ie yourself and a computer. You would be surprised at how hard it is to write anything on your own for a start and instruments does not make them any more complex or able musicians. also i have to be honest i enjoy pendulum but they are nothing groundbreaking or new. People have been writing dnb of similar style to pendulum for years. Everyone just knows pendulum because its being done with a band instead of a dj and so a whole new group of people can get into it. There are far better artists around than pendulum. but anyway thats just my two penneth
blinx
My favourite Drum and Bass artist is probably High Constrast. To be honest, I hardly listen to Drum and Bass but it is a pretty good genre.
nTonio
But guys don't forget about many trends of d&b. I really didn’t make any research about what are theirs names, but I hear the main difference between them. There are more softer and harder ones. I'm a fan of mixing i.e. d&b and house with Latin tracks. In house case it's simply called Latin House, but I haven't idea how it's gona be in d&b case.
One of the best I heard would be 4ex: d kay & epsilon - barcelona (high contrast remix) unfortunately I don't have cd name from which it was taken.
ddukki
Sorry to butt in and stop the party, but what is Drum and Bass, exactly. I understand that it's music based on a fundamental drum beat and bass melody, but other than that, what distinguishes it from other genres? Are there some artists you guys could recommend to get some background?
The Mitchell
its basically based on breakbeats which is where the snare lies on a different beat. for example techno is 4 to the floor. ie bass drum snare bass drum snare played on well pretty much every beat. then youve got breakbeat stuff which is more like drum n bass, hip hop, break beat (obviously), jungle, dubstep. essentially there arent many differences throughout although the focus is on diferent things ie break beat is all about the ticks and tocks and the big uplifting basslines, then drum and bass is much faster similar to jungle (not sure which came first) but jungle is more mashed up and has more reggea esque vocal samples etc. then dubstep is slower than breakbeat and revolves mainly around a reggea or dub beat but with big big wobbling basslines. Basically breaks are based on the step in the beat which is what the drum and bass beat is based on. A lot of breakbeat stuff is based around the amen break too which is taken from a song called amen brother by the winstons
The Mitchell
also recomendations wise listen to roni size, ali b, goldie, andy c, pendulum (arguably), High Contrast, Cause 4 Concern, Ed Rush n Optical, Shy FX, Adam F etc etc

a lot of people may also disagree with what ive put above as the terms of genre obviously change over time but this is what i make of the genres imo.
IconicWar
I've made some drum n' bass before. I posted it on Newgrounds.com.

I'd recommend The Flashbulb and VenetianSnares even though people would argue and say it's IDM - Intelligent Dance Music.
Jaan
I'm a fan of Pendulum and some nice acoustic DnB. Spor is pretty sick. In the right moment it really pumps you up.
godofreality
woot i love dnb good to see it is out there in this network

as for the artists i like:raiden, evol intent, noisia, technical itch, dieselboy, concord dawn...and many many others

as for the post up a lil higher that is breaking down the genre jungle came first dnb is what jungle evolved into jungle is more like simplistic dnb there are exceptions to this

my opinion on what drum n bass is:i consider drum n bass like the metal of electronica it is usually dark hard agressive music that is fast and focuses heavily on the snare drum line and the deep grungy bass lines
Sphaerenkern
I mainly listen to rock/alternative, but I wanted to have music which can run in the background. Rock has lyrics and I can understand them, so I usually listen.
I didn't like Techno much and a bunch of friends like drum'n'bass, one of them mixes ones from time to time. So I listen to it sometimes Smile
My favourite is Black Sun Empire.
zellfaze
Drum and Bass is great. We should all listen to more (although I personally like Trance better)
Marabik
Why not. That's greats- drum and bass but I prefer Dance.
InsanePL
I`m not the biggest fan of Drum n Bass cuz I`m Indie Rock lover, but I really liek one band.
Pendulum Smile

We always listening this on trainings, It`s very nice music for jumping, acrobatics etc.
Athomix
InsanePL wrote:
I`m not the biggest fan of Drum n Bass cuz I`m Indie Rock lover, but I really liek one band.
Pendulum Smile

We always listening this on trainings, It`s very nice music for jumping, acrobatics etc.

Arrow It's a very good band, they can make a sound who are so beautifull. It's shure it's not music to sleep Wink