FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Terry Pratchett

Camel
The Great creator of Disc World, master of comedy, ruler of surrealistic humor Wink

If you like his books, or if couldn't live with it - wrote down somethnig Smile
Raggy
I'll give him credit for being the master of comedy for fantasy as Douglas Adams is the master of comedy for Sci-Fi. And Brian Clevinger for super heroes.

His work is written quite well and is funny on almost every page. I am about 1/3 to 1/2 the way through of The Color of Magic and it has me laughing a lot.

I need to pick up his other books...O_O...there are just too many to choose from though.

I recommend him if you want a good laugh.
Grimboy
I like him but he sometimes comes across as a little forced. His writing is a somewhat confusing style I think. His early stuff is definately the best.
davmcmul
Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

Terry Pratchett books are great! I have read The colour of Magic and I just can't wait to delve deeper into the amazing place that is the Discworld!

The Colour of Majic was brilliant, absolutely hilarious and it left me gasping for more. One particularly amusing piece that comes to mind is: "......proving that death too has a sense of humour"

Absolutely brilliant, also, i can't help but agree that douglas adams is the master of sci-fi comedy but I'll keep that discussion for another thread.....
kuad
The Discworld novels are great although I think the earlier books were better. But I'd have to say that I like Douglas Adams better.
Deji
he is good however some of the books are kinda overly similar to other ones.. like i find it hard to tell which ones i have read because they are often too similar to others.

Ok he has a well defined setting and a specific style but some of the books lack anything original (compared to the others)
johanfh
I like his Discworld series. It's great humor, but I read his books just once in a while. If you read two or three in sequence he starts to repeat himself.
I like especially the fact that the books are a kind of mirror to different aspects of our community: Ankh-Meurbork for example: it looks a lot like Amsterdam or other cities in Holland. Ankh-Meurbork has its thievesguild, we have what we call 'gedoogbeleid', what means: we accept crime, as long as you don't overdo it and as long as you pay your taxes over the income Smile
But the witches' place looks a lot like a normal country-side, just overdone, but ok.

The best character in the books is Death I think. He is absolutely a nice person, a little shy. COULD I HAVE A BEER, PLEASE? Wink

JohanFH
Tasukii
I love his Disck World series, however, i often don't understand much of the story but his sentences about life, politic....ARE GREAT
Camel
johanfh wrote:
The best character in the books is Death I think. He is absolutely a nice person, a little shy. COULD I HAVE A BEER, PLEASE?

Laughing - It's absolutely the best person in Disc World universe...
Little shy, you say?
Perhaps, but also very curious, and dangerous (for whole universe and it self Wink ).
Tasukii
yeah ^^
and so well, depressed in a way...i don't have the engish word..'ve got to search

edit: I found! He's a bit blasι no?
kazoe
pratchett is really good, the first time i read him, is when a friend bought me a discworld series, (soul music) i got caught with his style. awesome characters, i like his humor, and you would never get bored with him. yeah, death is cool, so is death of rats, the little bag of skeleton is just too adorable to pass.
odinstag
I played the Discworld MUD for many years before I got into MMORPG's.

I have also read a couple of his books. The tongue in cheeck political comments and satire are funny as it gets.

But I really loved playing the MUD based on the books. Wonder if it is still up and running? Gonna have to check it out some time.
lensman
Another Terry Pratchett fan here.

I have read most of his novels so far...

His best according to my opinion are "Men at Arms" and "Small Gods".

Also "Jingo" has some great quotes about war politics and warfare.
NobodiesHero
I guess, if you are looking for great humor Pratchett is the man. His books are not just funny but contain a lot of critical fews on this planet we live on.
And there is hardly anybody else who can exploit the meaning of words as great as he does.
Anyway, DEATH rules.

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, said Death. JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING
EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH"

"One minute I'm just another rabbit and happy about it, next minute
*whazaam*, I'm thinking. That's a major drawback if you're looking for
happiness as a rabbit, let me tell you. You want grass and sex, not
thoughts like 'What's it all about, when you get right down to it?'"
Torchflame
I managed to pick up a compilation of some Discworld titles entitled Rincewind the Wizzard and ever since, I've been feverishly seeking out other works by him. And while DEATH is great, there's just something about Cohen the Barbarian...

Good dentistry and soft lavatory paper... I laugh every time I think about that.
lycadia
I like his Night Watch books and the books around Death (like Thief of Time and Soul Music and Mort) best! I really can not get enough of them. I'm reading Going Postal now. Did you know he's written children's books too?
I might be difficult for nonnative english readers to get alot of the humor, I'm American and still find myself having to refer to the Annotated Pratchett online when particularly British humor misses me becuase I don't get a referance or don't know what he is parodying. Still, since that just expands my mind, it's all the better.
vlnjodie
Quote:
davmcmul wrote;
Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

The Colour of Majic was brilliant, absolutely hilarious and it left me gasping for more. One particularly amusing piece that comes to mind is: "......proving that death too has a sense of humour"

If you liked this part you should read Mort. It's all about Death and how he takes on an apprentice. I'm in the middle of reading it right now. I have also read the Color of Magic and really liked it. I actually got the books for a friend and decided to give them a quick read through before I gave them to her. Had to test out the gift you know? Razz I can't wait to read some of the books with Nanny Oog and the witches. If any of you have any favorites or suggestions, I would be interested.
jockmcgonzo
reaper man is another superb book by TP which is all about death and what happens when he gets sick of being death. It was the first pratchett i read and very quickly got me hooked on the others.

I think pratchett just keeps getting better, the first few books he was so tied onto making a 'fantasy' parody that he didn't let himself go whilst writing but after a few he just let it all go and since then has been writing a genre in it's own right.

He is now one of the few authors that i will eagerly await his next book and by it on or around its release date as i know when i pick one up its going to be funny and easy to read.

Cheers

Jock
vlnjodie
I finally finished Mort! I can't wait until the summer when I can really get some time for reading. Until then, I'm stuck reading stuff for classes. Our library has tons of Terry Prachet books so I'll be heading over there quite a bit. My boyfriend has been downing one every week. Have any of you read any of the vampire books?
riv_
Terry Pratchett is great. For some reason, I really enjoy the whole humorous fantasy genre.
Some others authors I enjoy are Robert Aspirin's Myth Series, Jasper Fforde's books (where the character's enter the books) and Tom Holt (who is just ridiculous), and others...
I guess I do enough serious reading that when I read just for fun, I want it to be fun!
vlnjodie
Is Jasper Forde or Tom Holt the same sort of comedic fantasy? Any titles that are good? I'm always interested in adding a few good books to the waiting to be read list.
riv_
Jasper Fforde isn't quite the same, but is equally entertaining. In his series, the main character works for the Literary Spec Ops and ends up travelling in and out of fiction in order to solve Crime. Meanwhile, her dad is travelling time and reality changes in midstream... It totally messes with your head, and is funny. If you've ever read classic literature, it's espcially hilarious. I think the first book in the series is Jane Eyre. (I think... not sure)
Tom Holt is also just silly. The one I just finished is called Who's Afraid of Beowulf. The main character is an archaeologist who uncovers an intact viking ship, thus waking up the vikings. She then accompanies them on a quest to defeat the bad guy in the big city. It's the usual fish out of water story and does a lot with regular folk in irregular circumastances. Totally ridiculous.
Not Terry Pratchett-ish in that there isn't a whole new world created. But similarly ridiculous and humorous. Probably not quite the same gift for language. But if you enjoy Terry Pratchett, you'll probably like these. If you do decide to try them out, let me know what you think, OK?
polit
My favourite one from Pratchett is Mort, because this was the first TP book which i read. And I was in the seventh heaven when I bought the Discworld Noir.
jakegest
I like his stuff a lot. I've read (I beleive) the first five discworld novels and a colloborative novel he wrote with neil gaimen. I personally like the first two discworld novewls the best (although a lot of people tell me that they are the weakest ones in the series). Good omens excelent and if your a pratchet fan and haven't read it.. well you best be going to the library.
Octaeder
jakegest wrote:
I personally like the first two discworld novewls the best (although a lot of people tell me that they are the weakest ones in the series).

I think the problem that most people have with the first to books is the amount of inconsistencies that it has with the mythology of latter Discworld books. I've read all of the books and not long ago went back to read the first two and there were a lot of times when I found parts of the mythology that were never referred to again. Such as trolls turning to stone during the day.

Rincewind is my favourite character however and I value any book that he appears in.
carl005
I've read Color Of Magic, Light Fantastic and Small Gods. All of them were pretty good, but sometimes it felt a little repetitive and like someone else said earlier, forced. But he is still a very funny author and a great intellectual. I think I'd have to be an avid fan to read all of his books, but I'm not.
vlnjodie
I've heard that Witch's Abroad is really good. I haven't read any of the witch books yet. I can't wait until summer when I have more time to devour books. Right now it's a little tough.
Miss Saigon
He's stopped swearing as much but the later books are just as good if not better than the earlier ones. The more he writes, the more control he has over his characters and the more you can relate to them. Once you have read all the books you'd do anything to read the next one.

Does anyone else know and love the audio books, read by Tony Robinson (who is my total idol)? I couldn't live without those, for sure.
vlnjodie
ooooo... Audio books. I'm going to have to see if my library has any of those. That would be a great way to do some Terry Pratchet. Thanks for the suggestion.
kazoe
Torchflame wrote:
I managed to pick up a compilation of some Discworld titles entitled Rincewind the Wizzard and ever since, I've been feverishly seeking out other works by him. And while DEATH is great, there's just something about Cohen the Barbarian...

Good dentistry and soft lavatory paper... I laugh every time I think about that.

Laughing honestly,i dont know whether I'm going to be annoyed or adore rincewind. but that's the thing i like about him, actually. Too bad some people found him extremely annoying.

anyway, i like the night watch very much but i dont know which book to colect, where its them tt are being highlighted in the story. i have read Feet of Clay and its good.

Other titles guys?
vlnjodie
Did you read the one titled Night Watch? I've heard that one gives some of the history of Sam Vimes.
drkarthi
I have read Gnomes and they were ok.
danito
I love ze vampires, zey haf much charm and iz very perzuazive!
vlnjodie
I enjoyed Rincewind. I thought he could be a little bit of an annoying pansy at times, but he is endearing. Even though he's a total wimp you empathise with him. Pratchet really writes great characters. I hope someday I will be able to write a character that readers won't know if they love or hate him/her.
Josso
My favorite writer of all time. I've read loads of the discworld series and just can't stop reading them. I like the good balance of humour, drama and complicated bits.
ck88
Quote:
vlnjodie Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:39 am Post subject:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you read the one titled Night Watch? I've heard that one gives some of the history of Sam Vimes.

I read Nightwatch and it has some more history on Sam. A great book. I consider it one of the best so far.
lycadia
Men at Arms and Jingo, as well as Gaurds! Gaurds! are all Nightwatch books and all among my favorites so far. I love Carrot and Anguina so much!
dark_lard
I have only gone through the sorcerer book and it's been a month since I finished it. I havn't yet found the rest of the series. I'm not big on buying new books when used ones read the same.

From everything I have read though it is FANTASTIC! I went through the first... what is sorcerer 5 or 6 I think... in about a week. Great reads and I can't wait until I can find the rest of the discworld series!

And I know I won't contribute to the only record he still holds over JK Rowling after harry potter, which is number of books stolen. So go buy more of his stuff lets put it back over the Potter series! (which I also enjoy)
Octaeder
dark_lard wrote:
I have only gone through the sorcerer book and it's been a month since I finished it. I havn't yet found the rest of the series. I'm not big on buying new books when used ones read the same.

He's not done a Rincewind book in ages. I missd the guy. I'm currently making my way through Thud!. It's been enjoyable the few pages I've got through, but it just seems like there's been a lot of Watch books recently and I don't quite see how it'll top Night Watch.

I should really revisit some of the old ones again, although some of the BBC Radio plays were well worth checking out. Particularly Guards, Guards.
Octaeder
dark_lard wrote:

He's not done a Rincewind book in ages. I missd the guy. I'm currently making my way through Thud!. It's been enjoyable the few pages I've got through, but it just seems like there's been a lot of Watch books recently and I don't quite see how it'll top Night Watch.

I should really revisit some of the old ones again, although some of the BBC Radio plays were well worth checking out. Particularly Guards, Guards.
lycadia
I haven't had the pleasure of the BBC Radio plays, yet, and I've ordered some cd audiobooks recently but they haven't arrived. But has anyone seen the Discworld graphic novels? I know were at least a couple of them. I think The Color of Magic and Mort were made into trade paperback type graphic novels.

There is also a theater troupe (in Canada, I beleive) that's putting on plays adapted from several of the books.

And, of course, I have the animated Wyrd Sisters movie on DVD. Soul Music was animated too.

There has been at least one Discworld videogame, Noir, that I know of and I think I recall hearing of another.

There are also two books for a Discworld roleplaying game based on the GURPS system.

If anyone knows of any other examples, please mention them. I'd love to learn about more.
Octaeder
There were actually three Discworld games, of which Noir was just the last. I don't know much about the first two except they were released for the ps1 and probably the pc and featured Eric Idle as the voice of Rincewind. They were fairly standard point and click adventures and i have no idea of the plot because I only ever had a five minute demo of one of them.
ck88
I own about half of the Discworld books and have read all of them. They are great and the Fantasy equivalent of Douglas Adams Hitchhiker books.
mikethm
Terry Pratchett is one of my fave authors. Started reading his novels more than a decade ago and still reading them now... he just came out with a new one last month called Wintersmith.

For a list of all his published titles, you can visit his publisher homepage at http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/