FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux & Windows

scompany
I had a realy big problem! I had Win instaled on C: and then I install SuSe 9.1 on D:! SuSe worked great, but there were no way ti boot windows, that linux multy-boot don't work with win! I solve it by deleting all partitions on HDD, but... Is there a way to have them boot instaled?
S3nd K3ys
Each OS needs it's own partition.
scribz
scompany,

its fine to install windows on C: and linux on D: - usually Suse
automatically will rewrite the boot sector using GRUB and will give
you the option at every boot up which operating system you would like
to use.

Did it not have a choice to boot windows ? - when you conigure grub you have make sure that windows is a bootable option.

http://susefaq.sourceforge.net/faq/inst_winxp1.html explains it pretty well.

good luck!

scribz
devadutta
If you want to fix windows any time, use the bootable winxp cd and go to the repair mode. You can fix the master boot record using fdisk.
Then re-install lilo or grub.
This procedure works whenever with any linux distro and you can use it to re-claim your pc whenever you nuke your MBR Very Happy
DimAce
You can try some multiboot software, like "Acronis OS Selector" www.acronis.com
kvisko
You should try this
One quick solution is to activate the LBA or large access mode under which the hard disk was previously addressed for the hard disks in the computer's BIOS. It is important that the hard disk values not be set to "AUTO".
If this does not help (or if your BIOS does not offer this option), you can repair the partition table with a driver update. To do this, proceed as follows: On our FTP server, find two images at ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/9.1/misc/parted/: one for creating a floppy disk and one for creating a CD.

Floppy Disk
To install the driver update from floppy disk, proceed as follows:
Download the file parted.img.gz and save it to a directory of your choice, for example, in /tmp.
Insert a floppy disk and use the following command to write the image to the medium:
gunzip -c parted.img.gz >/dev/fd0

Caution: The previous content of the floppy disk will be lost.
Insert the installation CD/DVD (important: if you use an AMD-64 system, insert the 32-bit side of the DVD). Boot the first installation CD or DVD up to the point where you can choose one of the different installation variants.
Press F6. A message asking you to keep the driver update ready will be displayed.
Use the arrow key to select the menu item "Installation".
Enter the boot parameter "fixpart=1" and press ENTER.
When the message "Please choose the Driver Update medium" is displayed, insert the driver update disk you created and press "OK".
In the following menu, select "floppy" and confirm with "OK".
After completing the driver update, press "Back".
The following dialog for repairing the partition table displays your hard disk (usually /dev/hda) and the status of the partition table (broken). Select the hard disk and click "OK" to repair the partition table.
After repairing the partition table, exit the menu with "Back". Press the key combination CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot the computer and remove all media from the drives.
Now you should be able to boot both Windows and Linux.
CD-ROM
To install the driver update from CD-ROM, proceed as follows:
Download the file parted.iso.gz and save it to a directory of your choice, for example, in /tmp.
Use the following command to unpack the image:
gunzip /tmp/parted.iso.gz
Burn the file /tmp/parted.iso as an ISO image on a CD by either using a graphical burning program, such as k3b or xcdroast, or from the command line:

cdrecord -v -eject speed=2 dev=/dev/hdc /tmp/parted.iso

The parameter dev=/dev/hdc might have to be adjusted according to the burner device file.
Insert the installation CD/DVD (important: if you use an AMD-64 system, insert the 32-bit side of the DVD). Boot the first installation CD or DVD up to the point where you can choose one of the different installation variants.
Press F6. A message asking you to keep the driver update ready will be displayed.
Use the arrow key to select the menu item "Installation".
Enter the boot parameter "fixpart=1" and press ENTER.
When the message "Please choose the Driver Update medium" is displayed, insert the driver update CD you created and press "OK".
In the following menu, select "cdrom" and confirm with OK.
After completing the driver update, press "Back".
The following dialog for repairing the partition table displays your hard disk (usually /dev/hda) and the status of the partition table (broken). Select the hard disk and click "OK" to repair the partition table.
After repairing the partition table, exit the menu with "Back". Press the key combination CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot the computer and remove all media from the drives.

Now you should be able to boot both Windows and Linux.
tatatititututoto
just wanna ask a quick question here, now my current harddrive is partitioned to 3. c drive is ntfs with my winxp. d drive is ntfs with my software & documents on it. and about 8gb free space. but when ever i install linux on it, it wont boot. it's just say grub at the boot screen and stay like that. why is it so?
wistom
you can try to create the boot at linux system.
Helios
If you have Grub or Lilo, it doesn't matter.

You can try and create a boot option for windows.
as wistom said here.

anyway, everything is explained in previous posts already.

good luck.

my own opinion, after you'll experience linux for like a year or so, you'll get tired.
That's what happened to me.

But I ran linux 100% without windows.
yupeng
Get a boot floppy and then reboot your PC with it .
It may help you
engalex
you must first install windows and then install linux
to use linex ine first boot loader
and you can choice win or linux
Laughing
donj
You can also buy Acronis Disk Director http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/.

With one program in that package you can split your disk in partions and with another you can make a multiboot system.