FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Quit Smoking





seanooi
As many of you may know, smoking is bad for health. And because of that I've been trying to quit smoking since a long time ago but to no success.
I've just read a few sites about quitting smoking and found out that it'll work better if there were supports from family and friends.

I'm posting here today, hoping that I would get support and suggestions from you guys to helpl me quit smoking as I am really serious about doing so.
mschnell
Quiting smoking is easy. I've already done it like five times. Smile

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I have a friend that is planning on quiting this saturday. They're going to have a party w/ their smoker friends and they're all going to quit. They're going to hold themselves accountable. I think that by not only having yourself to let down it makes there more pressure to not smoke. That's my advice. I hope it helps.
-SonyGamer
It's pretty hard, IMO. An example from my life would be my dad. It is bad for there health, (I don't smoke, but my dad does). I don't know, but my dad can't quit it. But he is trying by each day, lowering his smoking time. That would be my suggesstion. Each day, just smoke less and less until you quit.
r_y_e_20
I wonder if to quit smoking is hard as quitting to masturbate. if thats the case then its really hard for me eh. hehe. But i havent smoke, except when i was a little child like around 7 years old, we used to roam around and out of curiosity we pick some cigarette butts then hide and puff on it. yucky isnt it. But the wonderful thing about is i really never learn to smoke, and it was already on my mind setting that it will just lessen my enjoyment in this wonderful planet.
Garrett
I tried that drug Zyban.... it made stopping smoking Really easy.... however it also made me feel stoned and weird for like 2 months.
I started smoking again becouse I didn't want to feel the ill effects of zyban anymore, and (now don't tell anyone becouse it's really not so cool) I LIKE SMOKING.
I'll quite one day.
best of luck to you.
unknown
Hey, i will help you out.
My dad reciently quit smoking.
It is hard at first, He started out by cutting down, then he starting substituting Smoking for eating candy. I t will be hard, you don't have to spend money on expensive medicine when you can solve it with cheap candy like life savers and gum. But i guess everyone has their own way to stop.

Thanks-
Daniel
godam64
it's just about perception. i think all people around the world should create perception that smoking is equal to drugs since they have same addiction affect. smokers should labeled as idiot that bear to ruin his/her life for something stupid activity.

ban smoking by govenment is a lot more better where smokers will get punishment if they caught smoking. i think smoking is sin in my religion. hurting yourself, wasting your money, wasting your time, etc. Laughing
Mr Smith
Okay, a tip is to tell EVERYBODY you know (That will support you), therefore you will have a reason to give up, so others won't think your a looser. And try do something other thinking of the fags when your off them, saving all of that money can get yourself into the cinemas twice or so a week, a great reward if you ask me. And you definately have my full support of quitting.

Good luck dude.
Saryon
I'm not smoking, never did, and never will. I think it's fairly disgusting. I just hate it when I'm eating something somewhere, and there's someone smoking next to me. Luckily, the government has prohibited that in my country now.

I'm just wondering, is it really that hard to quit smoking? I mean, there are a lot of ways to stop smoking, I see advertisements of it every day everywhere.

Well, in my case, I wouldn't even think about starting to smoke, it costs too much money Very Happy

Perhaps a good idea would be to have your partner put away the money, so you can't buy any cigarrettes anymore Wink

By the way, I'm not personally attacking people here, just giving my opinion on smoking.
poisonhzkj
I hate that someone smoking next to me. Luckily, the government has prohibited that in my country now.

Maybe candy help you...
schudder
From what I've heard from others in my area, it's best to first cut down a bit (less than half a pack a day would be a minimum imho) and then just quit cold turkey. Make sure people you hang with a lot know about it, so they don't tempt you with anything.

It's all about perseverance really. If you quit cold turkey, you can be done with it in 2 weeks or so. Seems long, but it really isn't.

Also, a trick my mom used when quitting, is leaving half a pack locked up in a closet somewhere, preferable not one you have to open 2 dozen times a day of course. That way you have that reassurance that if you really really really need to, you can go back. It's sort of a "I don't need it, but it's comforting to have around" thing. Cause, if you get rid of it all right away, then you might get anxious and go out and buy a pack "just in case" and then you're actually near the cigarettes and holding them, which is a much bigger step up to putting it back between your lips.

Of course, once you've passed the cold turkey stage, you can throw that half pack out Wink
blackheart
I know alot of people who smoke, and have "been there" for alot of people quitting (or at least trying to quit).

I can tell you there's a three day hump, and - once you're over it - that's 90% of the work done.

Stick it out - go three days without a ciggie. It'll be hard as heck, but after that your body will be over the nicotine cravings, and you'll only have to deal with getting your mind out of the habit of picking up and lighting up.
mwellsy
i'm trying to quit myself

i'm using patches

they were really good to start with, but... once you stop using the patches, its back on the smokes. Sad

i hear the easiest way to quit is cold turky.

i tried this and almost lost my mind. could not sit still , or concentrate all day.



if you go cold turky, i think your best to sign up at a gym to perform an aggressive workout schedule for the first few days of quitting (keep your mind off smoking, and channel you frustration).

and also take some time off work, (you will probably be useless there for a few days anyway.)

and most important of all, you need to not only want to quit, but not want to smoke anymore. (anyone who has tried quitting will know what i mean.)

good luck
zlang
for me, Embarassed it is relly hard to stop smoking
seanooi
I've not been smoking for the past 20 hours or so and hoping that i'll last longer.
Schudder's idea's working for me, having half a pack in my closet and only going to it if i really needed to.

Thanks alot guys for giving support and I hope that this will work out.
ncwdavid
I am 14 at the moment an I have been smoking since I was 11 years old. My parents never really found out but there were very suspicious at times. One day I decided to stop about 6 months ago and I thought it was easy. I just spent more time on the computer and I ended up getting realy busy with making a site and I forgot all about them. I realy dont think they are as hard to give up as people say.
blackheart
@ ncwdavid

different people's vulnerability to addication is different. some people are prone to it, other's aren't at all.
also, being 14, you're body/mind is more adapted to change than someone who's body has already matured and/or stopped growing.

also. that site on beating children isn't serious. the same site has countless other articles - all sarcastic. Wink
OneBadOmen
WILLPOWER!

Well my brother was trying to quit. He did for 3 days, that is untill he realised that he had another pack and started smoking again Rolling Eyes So I guess it just takes a lot of willpower. I think it would be best to just start smoking less and less till you get down to about 3 cigaretts a day then just go cold turkey. Hope it helps.

Plus, I've never smoked a cigarett but I think it wouldn't be as hard as stopping cracking your knuckles. I have a problem with cracking my knuckles that I've had for about 5-6 years and I've tried to quit, the problem is I crack my knuckles subconsiously, so I'll wake up and my fingers feel stif and I'll realise that I haven't cracked my knuckles in about half a day, I'll say, "ok today I quit cracking my knuckles" and I'll do pretty well untill I start doing it subconsiosly. So, I think quiting smoking would be easier than to stop cracking your knuckles (in my case) because you can always run out of cigaretts but your fingers are always there.
joshumu
Just go on a backpacking trip with no smokes. Thats how i quit. Its easy then.
UnikeViruz
I'm also trying to quit and it's pretty hard :/ But none the less you just kinda have to try and forget about it..not think about it
Droop
seanooi wrote:
As many of you may know, smoking is bad for health. And because of that I've been trying to quit smoking since a long time ago but to no success.
I've just read a few sites about quitting smoking and found out that it'll work better if there were supports from family and friends.

I'm posting here today, hoping that I would get support and suggestions from you guys to helpl me quit smoking as I am really serious about doing so.


I have to say quiting smoking is easy, u just have to want it bad enough, I've been free and clear of smoking for a year now and I have no trubble not lookin back... U just gotta try harder and not buy any or bum any I wish u the best of luck!!!
valkyrie-heavens
I dont know how i can support, but im all for the quitting smoking part! A little story, my dads been a chain smoker for years and now he's LITTERALLY choking up his lungs. He even had lung cancer for 5 months. And hes up all night with sickness from it. So I hope thats a little motivator.
roberpro
Hi.Anyone know one metod to give up smoking?

I have never tried to give up smoking but i would like to know how to quit of smoking, if anyone know a website or can explain how to give up smoke please answer this post.thank you

Bye!
xyweb
I hate that someone smoking in the room ,when he smoking, i leaving...Smile
Traveller
seanooi wrote:
As many of you may know, smoking is bad for health.


Exactly why this belongs in the "Health and Beauty" forum instead of "General Chat," and why it is has been moved there.
benjmd
Quitting smoking is a very individualized process.

On average, it takes people 7 attempts to quit.

Relapses can occur at any time, a day, a week, a month, a year after you've stopped. You have to quit lifelong.

If you want to quit, talk about it with a doctor. He/she can provide you with appropriate nicotine substitute regimens, advice, support, and information about where else to go for help!
S3nd K3ys
Simple answer.

You'll quit when YOU are ready. Not sooner.

I've been smoking for so long I don't remember not smoking. I started much earlier than David. At least 6 or 7 when I took my fisrt hit. (I'm the youngest of 5) My Dad let me start when I was around 12 because he couldn't stop me. I've quit many times. The last time was the easiest, and that was like 4 to 6 months ago. I knew almost by the first day that I was going to be done for good. I was right. I just knew I was ready.

Things you WILL NOT quit for:

Health Risks, (often including existing conditions like cancer)
Family/Friends prodding you.
Doctors prodding you.
The cost to buy them.
Offending those around you. (Yes, YOU STINK!)

Good luck quitting. (Thanks for the idea on an article too. Wink )
generalgazz
Ok don't mean to make you feel bad or anything but I smoked for 7 years then the day I decided to quit it just happened immediately, I didn't feel bad or feel I needed a smoke... I pretty much quit fully in one day.

Now I only have the occasional smoke when I am out drinking but its more for the pleasure of having the odd smoke than because of any addiction, sory of like how you may have a cigar to clebrate.
Strange really because I always thought I would have had a lot of trouble quitting.
paulbarter
I dont have any "on hand" advice, as i have never smoked myself, but I know that my dad smoked and one day decided to stop (he did this a few times, but one time it was for real!). I also have a friend who did the same. It seems to me that it can really work and is better tan "cutting down" because every smoker is trying to do that! Go all the way and deal with it all in one quick blow!
redace
The best way is to not begin smoking. But this will not help you. Another good way is to find someone you love and he or she wants to stop smoking from you>]
roberpro
Nice answer redace.I will take your advice with my girl she always tell me that i smoke a lot and she wants that i quit smoking.I feel when i leave smoking some days, for example when i do physical exercise, you are less tired.Too you can smell the things better i dont know why but it is true and there are many reasons to give up smoking.thx
LxGoodies
I don't use pills.

I've quit smoking 13 days ago now.

Just stopped

Throwed everything AWAY. Including lighters, cigarette paper etc

Ive put it on facebook. Family and friends help me there by commenting and liking.

Lx
deanhills
LxGoodies wrote:
I don't use pills.

I've quit smoking 13 days ago now.

Just stopped

Throwed everything AWAY. Including lighters, cigarette paper etc

Ive put it on facebook. Family and friends help me there by commenting and liking.

Lx
Well done! That must have taken iron resolve. Cool
LxGoodies
I cannot say on facebook AND my collegues AND my boss AND my family AND my neighbours I give up this stop, maybe that works for me. .

Telling all these other people, that really helps. I would look like a fool when I go smoke again. BUT it is difficult, I walk around without rest, feel uncomfortable when something goes wrong OR when something succeeds. In both cases I WANT TO smoke but I do not have any tobacco BECAUSE I THROWED IT ALL AWAY

Another thing that really helped me is spend money on a reward. I've bought a gold coin last week..

Lx
darthrevan
I use to smoke nearly a pack a day, but my wife and I quit. It was pretty easy for me to quit. I used the patches for like two or three days and quit wearing them. The day after I quit using the patch I was alright, but the next day I started to get kinda ill but not too much. After that I was alright and haven't smoked since.
LxGoodies
sounds good ! Applause you have succeeded

I've smoked for more than 20 years. Few years ago I stopped 12 days when I went for a trip for work to US (California) but when I came home again I took it up again Crying or Very sad now.. I've stopped at home, NOT during a holiday or travel just BECAUSE I WANTED to really stop. I really want to stay off smoking permanent

Lx
williamholt
Smoking is not good for our health..so try to avoid smoking....
Lishmares
I've smoked for like 7-8 years and have tried to quit about 10 times. The only way that worked is by oversaturing my system with smoke, this is kinda barbarian but it worked fine for me. I smoked something like 15-20 cigarettes in a row until i was about to puke. The next day when i wanted to light a cigarette, the bad feeling i had the day before came right away, i was saved Very Happy

If you want to quit smoking you HAVE to be motivated, if your not you wont quit and i dont think any pills or nicotine patch or whatever you buy will do something about it...

Hope this helps... Ciao
mshafiq
smoking is not good habit.to quit smoking is not easy.it is very hard.but is some one try he or she can do with continus effort
ZeytinGrafik
7 years ago today, i woke up, took my last cigarette out of its box, smoked it and never-ever smoked again. It just happened. I was smoking 2 packs of Camel daily and stopped all of a sudden. The first 2 weeks were hard but then i got used to it. I also gained 25 kg's in the last 7 years. Smile
pravojednostavno
Smoking is marketing first of all, way to earn money. Just think about it: a cigarette is nothing else than 2-3g of some plants, paper and filter, practically there is NOTHING inside. There is no difference in strong, lite and slims, the difference makes just the FILTER. Beautiful ads make us thinking, that the cigarettes are "special", which brings us more "style". Why people feel addicted? Well, it is cosy to hold it in hands, to touch it with your lips (yeah Embarassed we are animals) - the marketing made it cosy for us, to increase their income. Clear?

Rolling Eyes I used to smoke for 5 years. As I fall in love and get married, I have got rid of this bad habit without any effort, didn't read a single book about quitting smoking.
mshafiq
smoking is not good habit.it destroy all your beauty and your health.it is very hard to get rid of this habit
but for good health and better life we should use different sources to get rid of this habit.
joetruong
I believe its on the person's will power to stop. Drinkers might need to stay away from social events for a while.
loveandormoney
seanooi wrote:
As many of you may know, smoking is bad for health. And because of that I've been trying to quit smoking since a long time ago but to no success.
I've just read a few sites about quitting smoking and found out that it'll work better if there were supports from family and friends.

I'm posting here today, hoping that I would get support and suggestions from you guys to helpl me quit smoking as I am really serious about doing so.


How to stop smoking?
Stop playing the victim.
Tell the truth and stop doing things
You do not like.
Your body will be thankful.
ElSouq
My mom and aunt quit cold turkey. I know that isn't for everyone, though. My aunt hasn't picked up a cig since the day she quit 12+ years ago, which I think is pretty good. She also quit her soda addiction at the same time and rarely drinks it anymore.

Mom had to quit for health reasons. Unfortunately it was too late and her lungs stopped working. That scares me into never wanting to smoke. I hope her story will keep my kids from smoking as well.

Mom said cold turkey was easier for her because she didn't have the will power to "taper off", that being around the patches and gum would just tempt her to go back to smoking.
deanhills
ElSouq wrote:


Mom said cold turkey was easier for her because she didn't have the will power to "taper off", that being around the patches and gum would just tempt her to go back to smoking.
I sometimes wonder whether quitting cold turkey anything isn't an awesome shock to the body? Like with alcoholism, there should be a particular medical support system for smoke cessation.
quanmechanix
Even if you say to people that they should quit smoking because it's bad. Still, there are some people who just won't give up even if it's bad even if you post some facts or research studies that show it is bad for your health. Many people are persistent nowadays you see. Rolling Eyes

So it is up to them if they're going to quit or not. You see, smoking is like an itch you can't resist to scratch. Laughing
deanhills
quanmechanix wrote:
Even if you say to people that they should quit smoking because it's bad. Still, there are some people who just won't give up even if it's bad even if you post some facts or research studies that show it is bad for your health. Many people are persistent nowadays you see. Rolling Eyes

So it is up to them if they're going to quit or not. You see, smoking is like an itch you can't resist to scratch. Laughing
That's not what I mean. More like maybe the body physically can't handle the withdrawal all at once without something to support it. Like with alcohol people who stop need to do it under medical supervision. They are withdrawn gradually with the help of proper medication and supervision. So maybe with nicotine withdrawal same thing. I'd imagine if one is older the shock to the physical body must be even worse. Not a good thing to do it on one's own. Need some kind of supporting medication and help.
Related topics
Troy
Quit smoking
anti smoking commercials
do u smoke or take drugs ( even for testing)
'Safe cigarette' is claimed to cut cancer by 90%
legalize (soft)drugs
Do you smoke?
Scottish Smoking Ban Leads to Huge Drop in Heart Attacks
Stop Smokiing...
Easier quit smoking than eating?
How to Quit Smoking
Welbutrin (smoking?)
how to quit smoking?????
how to quit smoking?????
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Health and Beauty

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.