FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Oaxaca: Millions Against Tyranny

joshumu
This is what iv been wanting to hear. If only we in the US and their balls.

Quote:
More than a quarter of all residents of Oaxaca on the streets to stop Governor's oppression & torture.

DostJe, human rights organization from Slovenia, has been carefully observing the state violence in Mexican federal state of Oaxaca for over five years. This summer political violence from falsely elected governor Ulises Ruiz escalated sharply. People who demand freedom and democracy face violence and torture.

People from the poor federal state of Mexico, Oaxaca, decided not to live in misery and poverty. They had enough of repression and tyranny. The struggle began on 29th of April 2006 with teacher’s demands for improving conditions in schools. In capital of Oaxaca peaceful mass demonstration began on 22nd of May. The government reacted violently and on 14th of June the police was shooting at people and throwing teargas. Few people died, lots of them were injured and a high number of them disappeared, but later it was discovered, that they are in prison. Since then governor Ulises Ruiz is implementing repression against people in struggle and threatening them to withdraw their jobs. Protestors went to Mexico City and demanded intervention from federal authorities, but they were blocked by local police. The president of Mexico Vincente Fox does not want to take responsibility over the situation in Oaxaca and is supporting Ulises Ruiz in his…
[end excerpt]

http://www.infoshop.org/inews/article.php?story=20060824074839285
maclui
In Mexico not many things are what they seem. There was a revolution that lasted 10 years from 1910 -1920 cost many lives and money, the purpuse was to fight against opresion, poverty, tirany, and for freedom. After that, things got worst, 70 years of poverty, tirany, and lack of oportunities. Now, there are several people who think that things must change, using violence and terror. The looser candidate to the government of the republic is one outstanding example, the Oaxacos is another. They want to change things for themselves not for the people. SAD.
joshumu
One fourth of Oaxaca was in the streets in protest. I would say that constitutes action "for the people". As for the election, the conservitives took the tip from the 2000 and 2004 elections in the US. The simularities are striking.
Here is some on that. Though i doubt you willl listen.
maclui
one fourth on the streets, une half does not give a f***k and the rest suffer directly the consequenses. That is not a way to make things happen.
I believe the election was clean, perhaps the campaigns were not fair, they were really rough, but at the end there was a winnes elected by the vote.
joshumu
The people suffering directly from the protests are the elite. They don’t want to give up the system that’s makes them more and more rich wile the working class stays in poverty. Also, it is irrational to think that only the protesters on the streets are against the Oaxacian Governor. One fourth of the population is actively protesting in the streets, many more are unable to actually take action (poverty can take it out of you). The rural population for example has a hard time making it to the big cities to protest when they have no money, food, or transportation.
As for the national election, I strongly believe it was fraudulent. If history is any clue (and it usually is) leaders who favor the minority rich win elections, and not through more votes. Those with power and wealth like to keep it, and have the means to do so.
maclui
Well then everything in Mexico is rotten since, our most prestigeous institution the IFE, cannot be trustworthy. It is respected worldwide the IFE has helped many countries improving their electoral procesess, Irak for instance, as well as countries in the center of America.
If that is the case, we most turn against the machine, we must have another armed revolution which I doubt will make justice to the needed. Because like I told you before that happend once and it was a sad waste of blood.
I believe that there are things that work otherwise we could be like in an average African country with so many resourses and 90% in poverty. I belive that there must be another way for change. The Oaxacos, are mostly school teachers, why do not they encourage their pupils to be better citizens why do not they make them think differently. Things cost a lot, not even the rich have things by defoult or for free.
joshumu
Your right things do cost a lot. The governor of Oaxaca spent (Ruiz) , in the past year alone, some $200,000,000 USD to remodel the zócalo (. Do you think the remodel will benefit the poor rural peoples? No, it will benefit the bourgeoisie. A fraction of that money could fully update the pathetic school facilities in Oaxaca.
But I do agree, another revolution would be unfortunate, but better then returning to the days of Diaz.
Oh, and out of curiosity, where in Mexico are you from? You said 'our' institution the IFE.

http://www.narconews.com/Issue41/article1874.html
http://markinmexico.blogspot.com/2006/06/bloody-day-in-oaxaca-mexico.html
maclui
Currently I live in Guadalajara, but I have been in the US for several months studying.
Since there is some agreement with many things we have said I have to say that I hope that those social movements do make a positive change. Hope is the only thing left, since most of the mexican history is full of heroes and brave men who supposedly gave their lives and effort for the good of their people but at the end of the day the wealthy class continues oppresing the working class and the government working for the elite.