FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Smoking scenes cut from Tom and Jerry

Klaw 2
In England parts of cartoons where people smoke is going to be taken out of the cartoon. Because some people think more children will start smoking because they will think its cool or something. For example with Tom and Jerry scenes where they smoke are going to be taken out of the cartoons, what do you think about it?

I think you shouldnt change the cartoons, they will be less fun. And besides why would children smoke if they see cartoons smoke, some people are just being histerical.
HDirtwater
I read this and nearly laughed my @$! off. I thought all the tight-azz, censoring losers were in the US. Apparently not.
rightclickscott
I don't have a problem with smoking. I have smoked before, and really, the results from it don't come til you're older, but I've still been keeping off of it. Now, I don't approve of children smoking, since it can damage them at an early age, but to think that cartoons where they smoke comically can influence kids to smoke because it's cool? That's just stupid. Censor fanatics need to learn where to draw the line between comedy and actual influence.
bigdan
Has the world gone all weird? Shocked Geez, it's only a cartoon...you can show someone blowing someone else up, but show someone smoking, and all hell breaks loose! Mad

I'm pretty sure people will know smoking's a dirty habit...you don't need to edit cartoons to prove that fact...
Pablo Diablo
This an example about how over-analysing and over-thinking can reduce us into idiots.
xframe
I'm an ex-smoker and ive gotta tell you...seeing cartoon characters never made me want to smoke..it was being around friends that smoked.
althalus
So they take the smoking scenes out in an effort to prevent kids to smoke...

Will they also remove the fight scenes, in an effort to prevent violence..?
DawningLight
Well they have already removed so much they believ to be politically incorrect. Now it is the smoking, next will come all the viloence, how ever farceical and soon there will be nothing left.
Talk about a nanny state!
QrafTee
Klaw 2 wrote:
In England parts of cartoons where people smoke is going to be taken out of the cartoon. Because some people think more children will start smoking because they will think its cool or something. For example with Tom and Jerry scenes where they smoke are going to be taken out of the cartoons, what do you think about it?

I think you shouldnt change the cartoons, they will be less fun. And besides why would children smoke if they see cartoons smoke, some people are just being histerical.

Personally I don't see what's the big problem getting rid of cigarettes from the cartoon because it doesn't really do anything for the cartoon. I mean if Tom had a persona to fill (which he does not) then at least it has a purpose, but he doesn't.

Now I am not for censoring though like is they reduced the blood in Naruto/Bleach, it would not be the same because it has to have that dramatic effect and Asuma needs to smoke because that's part of his persona, as well as Sarutobi because he's portraying an elder from days when smoking was much more accepted as a common occurance.
largelyobscure
Okay, now. I realize what they're supposedly trying to do -- at least in theory. The idea being that if cartoons don't smoke cigarrettes then kids won't get the idea to smoke them themselves; you know, sort of like what they did with the Mr. Potato-Head doll some years back with the pipe (they took it away from him on all the new models.)

Anyway, although, yea, smoking is not a good thing for kids to do, not good at all, but it's just a cartoon, and a classic cartoon at that. I could see maybe not putting that into new cartoons but altering existing cartoons doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, chopping them up and stuff. I remember the old T&J cartoons and them smoking... well, I never really paid any mind to it at all.. they were just cartoon characters. That's like saying that Popeye can't have his pipe anymore.

It does kind of infringe into the whole censorship thing.

It's just kind of dumb in my book; besides if you want to take the cartoon literally and every action in it as something that someone would do in real life than... wow.. I mean, how many things do they do to each other that would get each other KILLED in real life! I mean, killed, right then and there.. like falling off cliffs, buildings, electrocution, etc. etc...

Anyway, that's just the way I feel.
:/
Ozzy
After reading this, I really wanna see Tom And Jerry smoking!! haha