FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to transfer daa between 2 computers

vignesh_natraj
how do i transfer data from my computer to my father's computer?
i have lan card in both computers and i also have LAN cable is there anything else needed. both computers run on Win XP. i want to transfer like 10 GB.
S3nd K3ys
vignesh_natraj wrote:
how do i transfer data from my computer to my father's computer?
i have lan card in both computers and i also have LAN cable is there anything else needed. both computers run on Win XP. i want to transfer like 10 GB.

With XP you should be able to plug everything in, share the folder(s) you want to share, then go to Network Neighborhood and wala!

(share folders = right click on the folder, select Sharing and Security. Or if you don't see that, find it in Properties.)

If it's a one time thing and you're having trouble with the LAN, you could put the stuff on some DVD's or just connect your HDD to his comp for the transfer, then put it back to your computer.
vignesh_natraj
if i put m HDD in another computer wouldn't it be needed to format my HDD to worh in the other mother board
S3nd K3ys
vignesh_natraj wrote:
if i put m HDD in another computer wouldn't it be needed to format my HDD to worh in the other mother board

No. Should be fine.
technology.sponge
should be no-problemo
jus make sure that if your not going throught a router/switch/hub u use a crossover cable
Klaw 2
you can also use a data stick (USB) youl need an little program to use it, but if you buy a USB youl get the program with it.
Jaan
If you want, you can get a router - it also shares your internet connection. Then just plug up to 250 computers into the router, and you have 100mbps/50mbps LAN. There's also gaming routers @ 1000mbps if your LAN card supports it. I say the easiest option for you is to buy an external HDD. It helps backup your data and transfers up to 800mbps/firewire900.
Cheers Wink
ezekiel_rage
Jaan wrote:
If you want, you can get a router - it also shares your internet connection. Then just plug up to 250 computers into the router, and you have 100mbps/50mbps LAN. There's also gaming routers @ 1000mbps if your LAN card supports it. I say the easiest option for you is to buy an external HDD. It helps backup your data and transfers up to 800mbps/firewire900.
Cheers Wink

Isn't that a bit too much?

A simple crosslink patch cable should suffice.

They're cheap. you can even make your own.

You can ask me how nd I can show you. But I guess that's for an another thread.
vignesh_natraj
i have brought a USB data transfer cable and it is pretty fast and useful.
DimaSafr
You may consider setting up a wireless network. However, I am not sure that it can handle 10GB transfers. Good luck!
DimaSafr
the other thing I personally use is a removable hard drive. works plug and play and does not get screwed up when the Windows Crashes. also a 2gb USB stick is always a good idea.
keshavkesh2004
Hey thanks for some of the tricks explained here to copy the file from one computer to another computer. I needed it very badly becoz i have system without writer, i cannot copy anything to cd or else give it to friends, if i needed to then i want to load to internet and tell them to copy it was so bad, but now i have got some idea thx for all your help. I will try this method by connecting b/w my computer and my friends laptop and check.
Bones
ezekiel_rage wrote:
Jaan wrote:
Cheers Wink

Isn't that a bit too much?

A simple crosslink patch cable should suffice.

They're cheap. you can even make your own.

You can ask me how nd I can show you. But I guess that's for an another thread.

Not to mention that 250 pc's on a workgroup network is going to cause so many data collisions and network traffic that it will be all but useless..