FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Computergames -- sport?





SGbilder
Just i thought.., some guys (mostly the one who play a lot of computer games) say it's also a sport...

So if you want to talk about.. say some upcoming events, a tournament in cs or something., shuld you then put it here, in the sport section? Confused
GoDHiM
Im with you SGblider, i think that if chess is a sport, the online games is also a sport...you use your brain(and fingers) more than your body, but theres some kind of physical activity.

Nowdays there are cyber-olimpic games, and in the future there will be more support to this kind of tournaments and a lot of cyber-athletes...i hope Razz
elincinerador
not at all. definetly not. well, actually chess may be concidered as a spot when it is played on computer... but neither need for speed, nor winning eleven, nor nfl are sports. they are fun, hobbies, but not sports.
Quote:
you use your brain(and fingers) more than your body, but theres some kind of physical activity

in computer games you don't use your brain as much as in golf or chess. there is no point of comparation. if you say that, either you just played sports on computer, or you have never done so. if you made both you'll se they are not sports at all. and physical activity?? what kind?? moving thingers?? come on! changing channels on tv is also a sport then??
Magicman
I agree with elincinerador, a true sport takes much more skill than a computer game and some sort of physical activity for competition. I don't believe chess should be considered a sport and definately not computer games. They belong in the game forum.
GoDHiM
I think you havent understand SGBilder...he is talking bout videogames, not sport videogames...i played videogames a lot, thats because i see it like a sport. Have you ever play online videogames???
benjmd
I think professional game players make a sport out of it. It's definitely participant dependent though in terms of whether or not much of a sport is made out of it.

I think when virtual reality video games become bigger that'll *definitely* be a sport.
soldeinvierno
computer games a sport? hum, maybe in 10 years from now...
HoboPelican
Guys, how about a deifinition from a dictionary....
Quote:

sport Pronunciation (spôrt, sprt)
n.
1.
a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
b. A particular form of this activity.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.


Each definition list something about being active. Even though I played chess as a varsity sport in high school, I can't call Chess a sport without laughing. Laughing

Darts, badmitton, shuffleboard. Yep, those are sports.
Chess, computer games, backgammon. Nope. If you feel moving your fingers is physical activity, you need to get out more. Laughing
Svarn
Is making a telephone call a sport? That requires exactly the same skillset. And everyone in the world can participate!
Nikkori
For me, it's not a sport but a vice. Cool
TarsajumaClan
Svarn wrote:
Is making a telephone call a sport? That requires exactly the same skillset. And everyone in the world can participate!
that used to be my job lol.
thankfully its not anymore
shun
I don't know, but it would be great if it is considered to be a sport. That way i can tell my parents that I'am doing "sports". Actually, I think people can't exclude videogames being a sport if people think of chess as a sport too. Videogames probably requires more focus, thinking and action than chess, and so I don't how playing videogame is not a sport while playing chess is
Scoria
I was hanging out at a counter strike forum, and I saw this person writing that he thought gaming was a sport, in this case, counter strike.
Would you concider it a sport or not?

Personally, I would see it as one. You dont have to move for something to be a sport, I hope, so therefore it is a paort of it. Its very famous, and you can win prizes, as there are teams for different countries, tournments and more.

Now, what is your oppinion?

Sincerly,
Johan
rightclickscott
If people can consider Magic the Gathering a sport, then why not? Of course, it wouldn't be a traditional sport, it would be an "avant-garde" sport. But I have to ask, what does calling gaming a sport ask about our generation? Does it say we're not lazy and are unathletic? Or has gaming just become so big that competitive gaming is now something that people can refer to as a sport? I'm not too sure, but I know that competitive online gaming like Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance Online is not only really fun, but also has got my fingers in top form, yet their still soft and slender and lovable! *glee*
TonkPilz
i do consider gaming a sport. if chess and yatzzy can be a sport so can computer games.

its not actually new tho there are already a few "stars" in the gaming world one man is considered to be the best fps gamer he has the title in quake3 painkiller and several other fps games as a one man champion. its this dude Fatal1ty he calls him self and he even have some merchandise in hes name
att
http://www.fatal1ty.com/
Saryon
Well, it surely wouldn't be a traditional sport indeed. But yes, I'd say it is a sport. Gaming requires a certain level of skill in some games, just like it is with sports.
And I mean, if chess is also called a sport, then why gaming not?
rightclickscott
TonkPilz wrote:
i do consider gaming a sport. if chess and yatzzy can be a sport so can computer games.

its not actually new tho there are already a few "stars" in the gaming world one man is considered to be the best fps gamer he has the title in quake3 painkiller and several other fps games as a one man champion. its this dude Fatal1ty he calls him self and he even have some merchandise in hes name
att
http://www.fatal1ty.com/


I heard of that guy. I have tons of friends who say "oh, I could beat him" because they think they're so good, but they honestly have no idea how good he is. They've tried to get in contact with him on Xbox live, but Fata1ity never payed them any attention.
Ducksteina
I don't think computer games are sports. Chess is no sport for me either. It's a game, but there is a difference in moving just your hand or your whole body. Smile
Tasa
A sport is about skill. So yea gaming is a sport. As to the people who saying you do not move so it can not be a sport. Look at golf takes a lot of skill, but you swing the club then walk to the golf cart. Brief movement but it is a sport. Or Nascar they sit the whole. But it is a sprot.

So yea gaming is a sport
NatoRevenge
I not like sport game cuz no one actually is near the reality
Scoria
I agree on the fact that if chess would be a sport, so could gaming.
What you said about our generation being lazy, Imn unsure about. Just becuase we game dont make us lazy, you never before concidererd chess players lazy, so why should you concider us gamers so?
Some people might, but im sure, at least I do, lots of things other then computer. I play football, rugby, handball, and ,many other fun "sports"

And why do you say its not, because its not close to reality?
All games are based on some form of reality, and its just our imagination helping us out, so you never know.

Sincerly,
JOhan
reddishblue
Games that invove skill, effert and a conscies mind are sports every thing else is not worth playing Laughing
exarkun
Gaming is not sport, in my sense. Because it only moves the hand. If you ask me, it is considered a entertainment to me. Smile
greed
Yes for me we can consider games as sports...especially Counter-Strike, Warcraft 3 and Starcraft:Broodwar (in South Korea)
Just look at the money some gamers earn ; impossible not to get a heart attack Shocked
For example, in South Korea, Starcraft matches can gather thousands of persons in front of their television...and players' salaries are enormous !
Big and serious sponsors like INTEL, AMD, NVIDIA, ATI, etc. are their main ressources, but now other kinds of organisations, that don't concern computers (brands like "adidas" or "kappa") are getting more and more interested by the "electronic-sports", as we usually call them.


The only "real" argument I see againt the idea "games=sport" is that you don't really move, don't really "perspire"...
Well, that's true, but all the other parameters are there :
- the pression of the competition
- the team play : communication with mates, etc. (it depends of the game of course)
- the prizes you can win
- the trainings, necessary to be competitive
-...

I'm sure that in a near future, the situation in South-Korea with Starcraft will appear here in Europe, or in America... We are only at the beginning Smile
rightclickscott
NatoRevenge wrote:
I not like sport game cuz no one actually is near the reality


This is not a thread about sports games, it's a debate about whether or not gaming is a sport. I consider it an "avant-garde" sport like I said before, where it is not an aerobic sport like soccer or football, it's an anaerobic sport like skateboarding or trading card games.
Ghost900
well I never have looked at it as a sport but since there are tuornaments and other types of play I guess you could call it a sport. If gaming is a sport I spend alot of my time playing a sport.

Here is the dictionary term:
Quote:
an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
xkobram
Russia, Korea and so on has nice progaming like sport but in Czech rep is nothing.
Scoria
ye, you got a point, since there are leagues and tournments, I would call it a sport.
Peterssidan
My opinion is that not even motor sport or horsejumping should be a sport. I think that it Must be the human that makes the most part of the performens. Laughing

so I don't think gaming is a sport. Gaming is gaming! Thats it! It is not less good because of that. No beraps it's not give the fittnes it should but that's ok if you run or something sometimes.
Keran
Yes, ofcourse it's a sport, it requires great hand flexibility for good micro and sharp mind to focus well enough to be a pro.
hlavco
Dance, Dance, REVOLUTION! Very Happy
Reikko
that true
TonkPilz
I think that any ting you can compete in can be sen as a sport even if requires less effort from what you usually hafto put in to example football or soccer.

I cinda remember that the word sport originally meant something like pleasure or enjoyment and didn't have much or any ting to do whit a physical pastime I'm not 100% about it tho but I'm pretty sure
OneBadOmen
I would consider gaming a sport, depending on the game you play. Look at MLG, you can win thousands of dollars a competition and even get contracts for a million dollars! Of course you have to be the best of the best but you can still make money. Some people think video games are just moving your fingers but in lots of games you have to have skill, good comunication skills, and tactics. So yes, I would call it a sport.
Juparis
Hey, if Cheerleading can be a sport, so can gaming.

My point here is that if people are going to whine enough about it, of course it's going to become a "sport," but whether or not it still classifies as an actual sport (not referring to the "pleasure" definition, but more the modern connotation) is still up in there air.

Funny, how masters of football and basketball are overpaid millions and admired everywhere, whereas masters of any video game are usually called nerds or said to have no lives (by all except those in the gaming world, of course). Razz
Cov3r70ps
If syncronized swimming is a sport, then so is gaming... Very Happy
Insanity
I don't think that simply moving your fingers around and sitting in one place can be considered a sport. I don't consider chess a sport, so I wouldn't think of gaming as one.
Manofgames
i was in my local internet cafe, and in my town there have been a lot of kids from germany and italy.

apparantly, the german kids have to choose an activity back home to do in school (like a sport or sommat) and this cafe have been getting a lot of business, because apparantly gaming is one of their options they have to do (u no, 1 of those forced extra-curricliam activities)

imagine that...
snowboardalliance
Personally I would have to keep gaming in the category of entertainments and... well games. Or maybe it could be a hobby to some. But I don't consider it a sport. Then again, I hardly ever play games any more, just because I don't have time, but still I've always just thought of it as entertainment.
paulbarter
I think that sports should be defined as competition between people where certain rules are inviolved and there is some kind of goal. If enough people are interested in competing in this way, then yes it is a sport. There are a lot of crazy sports out there, and just because you are looking at a screen and not toushing other players, does not mean it is not a sport
aneotoena
paulbarter wrote:
I think that sports should be defined as competition between people where certain rules are inviolved and there is some kind of goal. If enough people are interested in competing in this way, then yes it is a sport. There are a lot of crazy sports out there, and just because you are looking at a screen and not toushing other players, does not mean it is not a sport


What you think won't make the definition of the word "sport" change, at least not right now. so right now videogames are not sports
amusic
Computer games definitely are not sport. We can only called something as sport when it is a body moving activities. However, is golf called a sport too? Confused
fbcompany
paulbarter wrote:
I think that sports should be defined as competition between people where certain rules are inviolved and there is some kind of goal. If enough people are interested in competing in this way, then yes it is a sport. There are a lot of crazy sports out there, and just because you are looking at a screen and not toushing other players, does not mean it is not a sport

but sport doesnt need competition. look at running. or swimming. they are sports but dont need competition.
DBoy22
Definetly not a sport and I don't know why chess can be called a sport either. No real skill needed if you aren't playing competively. Some real sports are baseball and football you actually need some skill for those sports


DB
gh0stface
fbcompany wrote:
paulbarter wrote:
I think that sports should be defined as competition between people where certain rules are inviolved and there is some kind of goal. If enough people are interested in competing in this way, then yes it is a sport. There are a lot of crazy sports out there, and just because you are looking at a screen and not toushing other players, does not mean it is not a sport

but sport doesnt need competition. look at running. or swimming. they are sports but dont need competition.

Actually, there ARE running and swimming competitions. Ever hear of a running marathon? Or a swim meet?

Defining video games as a sport is kind of tricky. Like any other sports, video games follow certain competitive rules too. However you aren't "actively" participating. As there isn't any real physical motions used which tends to be a key defination for sports.
Rufan06
nah i dont think computer games will ever be considered a sport. When you here sports, you think of athletes. Could you see yourself calling a gamer an athlete? I can't. In contrary, i did hear that gaming might be in the olympics as a test? Not sure.
bakpao6
computer games and sport are different. computer games u just use your eyes and hand only. but for real sports, u suppose use all your body and make some sweat. i love doing both of them at the weekend, sometimes in the weekdays.
xkobram
snowboardalliance wrote:
Personally I would have to keep gaming in the category of entertainments and... well games. Or maybe it could be a hobby to some. But I don't consider it a sport. Then again, I hardly ever play games any more, just because I don't have time, but still I've always just thought of it as entertainment.


But when Chess=Sport why not gaming?
TonkPilz
snowboardalliance wrote:
Personally I would have to keep gaming in the category of entertainments and... well games.


you mean like you can say sports are a form of entertainment Razz
eggg
If chess is a sport, then video games are sports.
illegalhost
Chess is sport? More like a board game man. My fav is basketball - NBA rox.... ALwAYS
illegalhost
Ah. Fishing too is a pasttime. WOOWEEE!! Hehe.
Manofgames
I suppose any lesiure activity that requires competition is a sport i.e.:

fishing (biggest fish)
Chess (best stratergy)
Football (Most goals)
Gaming (Most Kills)
Rugby (Most Tries)
Cricket (Most Runs)
Checkers (Most points, or however they count the score)

any others??
Cibes
For me there are two different definitions of sport:
1. physical activity
2. competitive activity

Running is sport even if you just run for your self and don't care about any competitions. But thinking of sports I always think of leagues and tournaments too. Considering this, gaming - and chess - are sports as well because they are surely more than just "sitting around and moving your fingers"! Good players have to train a lot to get the high skills they need to be successful in these sports - like in any other!
dachabre
Well if chess is sport......

I personaly think that lot of sport games don't deserve that "title", but for 5-10 years computer gaming will become olympic sport Very Happy
beerleague
I personnely love playing the nhl seris, although the nhl 2k series isnt that bad , but ea makes the best sports games, the nfl or nba street versions of the games are always entertaining, but the only series I follow religiously is ea sports NHL, I pick it up the first days its out and wait impatiently for the roster updates lol
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Sports

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.