FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cannot connect to my FTP Server.

dickyzin
I have set up Cerberus FTP server on my computer. I have a wireless router (DSL-G604T). I have configured the router to forward FTP protocols to my computer. I can access my FTP Server from within my LAN connections (e.g if I connect to ftp://10.1.1.2) it works. But when I try from an external connection (e.g ftp://myserver.com/), I get the following error from IE.

Window can't access this folder.
Make sure you type in the file name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder.

Please assist me.
badai
try type this in command prompt

telnet myserver.com 21

see what it tells u.
tester9
perhaps this connection with myserver.com does not work.
try to get your internet ip and then enter the ip in the internet explorer. if you do not have any connection, something might deny the connection.
some routers have a seperated configuration for server rights and so on.

or try: personal ftp server. it is a bit limited but i use it often for short homie connections.
alexchan28
http://www.hostned.com/FTP/

try this out
pudovkin
... yeap. I would suggest you to ping and then telnet the address. You'll be able to find it's a network problem or a software problem.
Bones
I would also suggest getting yourself a real ftp client as browsers just don't cut it IMO when it comes to ftp'ing.
Personally I like WS FTP and Bulletproof FTP (though I havent used this one in a long time)

Also, if the pings do not respond from the ping test, make sure that your firewall is configured to allow an exception for your FTP program.

You might also want to try changing the port if it is still at the default 21 as some ISPs block this port to prevent running FTP servers.
prototype_angel
dickyzin wrote:
I have set up Cerberus FTP server on my computer. I have a wireless router (DSL-G604T). I have configured the router to forward FTP protocols to my computer. I can access my FTP Server from within my LAN connections (e.g if I connect to ftp://10.1.1.2) it works. But when I try from an external connection (e.g ftp://myserver.com/), I get the following error from IE.

Window can't access this folder.
Make sure you type in the file name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder.

Please assist me.

try using http-ftp bridges like net2ftp.com surftp.com
travnik7
Try to use your external IP instead on your server name. And some ISPs do block the port 21 (mine too), so I am running my server on port 2121. The syntax for the URL is as followed:
Code:
ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:port

example:
Code:
ftp://123.123.123.123:2121
Reyntjensw
its much easyer to use filezilla server, it's really good and easy.
you can use it in combination with your useraccount on your computer and its free, completely free:p, thats the best
Chris24
I can never get my ftp server to work. Using Linksys router, have cable connection, I have forwarded ports, used no-ip.info services, used filezilla sercver and client. Still no good. Is there something I am missing????

All the manuals make it sound so easy but its a no go for me so far.....If anyone can help it would be appreciated
Chris24
Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
LethcanAernis
What FTP software do you use?

if you use Internet Explorer you must configure in advanced option that it will ask for username and password else it will try "anonumious" (can't spell that sorry)

Or you access it like this

ftp://username:password@10.0.02

try the latest one with correct ip/DNS and username/password and I think it will work for you
FunFunkyFritz
dickyzin wrote:

Ftp is kind of awkward to define port rules for, the ftp protocol uses port 21 + several ports at random (at least when in active mode). Did you set the server to allow passive connections?

If you don't have any firewall (on the ftp server) that prohibits communication with other nets than 10.1.1.* then the problem is probably with the router.
farhad0
check this :

if you use IE for browsing your FTP goto Tools menu and click on Internet Options then goto Advanced tab and find Browsing section and uncheck the : Use Passive FTP (for firewall and DSL modem compatibility)

may be fix
good luck
geemix
I too am having major issues setting up an ftp server.

I used to have one before, so setting it up should have been a breeze!

I am using Cerberus now (tried 4 others) and I still have the same issues:

I can connect locally via LAN ip address with user/pass etc.

However, if I tru dyndns.org or even my WAN IP, i get the error 530. I have asked others outside my own network to try and connect and they to get timed out errors.

I have opened ports on the router from 20-21, also changed the ports to 2110 and opened that. Also opened ports in range from 11000-13000 (as used by Cerberus for PASV).

I also turned the windows firewall and router firewall off. But no matetr what I do, I cannot get connected to the ftp server from wan! It's seriously starting to annoy me. Been at it for many hours now, reading forum after forum etc.

There has to be something router side that is stopping it I guess, but for the life of me, I cannot work it out!

I am using a THOMSON TG585v7 router. And have done everything I can see possible.

Has anyone managed to solve the previous issues of not being able to connect via wan?

I can ping the wan ip address and that's fine. Telnet ipaddress port gives the error "Could not open connection to the host on port 2110 : Connect failed"

To connect to the ftp, I have used IE8, FireFox (also with FTP Add-on) and also FlashFXP. I can connect to all other ftp servers belonging to friends etc. Just not my own Sad

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Many thanks in advance.
blueray
Did you used some port testing script tools ?
You may try this port testing web script.

http://www.utorrent.com/testport?port=21

Basically, it is used to test whether a tcp port have been opened and is available for connect.
change the port number to the port in your ftp server.
You may need adjust the port you currently in use due to ISP have been blocked it as mentioned above.
geemix
I tried the test you sent...

OK!

Port 2110 is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections.

It seems fine, open etc.

I'm still at a loss. Sad

Still getting 530 Permission Denied when logging in over WAN, login is fine with LAN

The ports required all appear to be open. How come the test website above can log in, but I canot no matter what I do!
blueray
How do you map the external port to internal port.

After take a fast look of the manual of Cerberus server.
It seems that there a lot of options that might caused that.

HTTP 530 is a user authenticated fail.
How do you configure the user settings including the authentication options.

Can you post some screen captures here so that anyone who knew this more may help to solved this issue.

ref: http://www.cerberusftp.com/help/
geemix
hmmm...

Even the site:

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

My IP address (WAN) is listed.

When I enter in my port number 2110

Cerberus accepts the connection.

However, if I try and connect via ftp client or even browser, it just times out.

FlashFXP

site manager:
IP (my WAN IP address)
Port: 2110
Anonymous Ticked

Click on connect....states connecting to (my IP PORT- 2110) The after a few secs says. Connection Failed (Connection Timed Out)

If I go via web browser (IE8 or FireFox) ftp://xx.xxx.xx.xx:2110

Same thing.

The connection has timed out
The server at xx.xxx.xx.xx is taking too long to respond.

If however, i do ftp://xx.xxx.xx.xx (and don't add the :2110) it then asks for a user name and password. But nothing I do in here works. Just keeps asking for them. And Cerberus doesn't even see any icoming connection with anything above.

If I use my LAN ip address 192.168.1.250 then I can connect fine via FlashFXP etc.

I just don't understand how a website such as http://www.canyouseeme.org/ which has my IP address there listed, and using port 2110 can connect to my server, but FlashFXP or via web browser cannot connect.

Using http://www.canyouseeme.org/, Cerberus acknowledges the connection just fine.

Incoming Connection Request on 192.168.1.250
Connection Accepted from (ip address from above site I guess)

In cerberus, on the right hand side, there are two interfaces shown.

One is my LAN ip 192.168.1.250 and the other I don't recognise. starts 127.x.x.x

User set up is Anonymous...root folder assigned ftproot with upload set.

Under Server Manager Interfaces
Address Port Max Connect
Default 2110 700
192.168.1.250 2110 700
127.x.x.x 2110 700

(For each of the above these settings)
Listening socket 2110
Connection Limit 700
Security (both unticked)
PASV Options
Dont use External IP for Local Connections (Ticked)
Auto Detect (Ticked)

Any ideas?
blueray
Quote:
I just don't understand how a website such as http://www.canyouseeme.org/ which has my IP address there listed, and using port 2110 can connect to my server, but FlashFXP or via web browser cannot connect.

You ftp server seems already working correctly.

Did you tried to connect it with some free proxy servers on the internet.
or net2ftp (http://www.net2ftp.com ) ?

Also, do you have any dynamic dns host name configured ? Such as no-ip.org.
I can give it a try if you have one.
geemix
Hiya Blueray first of all many thanks for your time on this, I do appreciate it.

I tried http://www.net2ftp.com and it does connect (at 40% it takes a bit of time getting the dir) but after a bit of time it eventually logs in and shows the ftprot folder.

(I have no files there yet so not sure why it's so slow)

40% Getting the list of directories and files - for a few mins then shows on the webpage my root dir.

This was using my dyndns.org as the IP.

I get a couple of warning lines on the above site.

Warning: ftp_rawlist(): php_connect_nonb() failed: Operation now in progress (115) in /srv/www/htdocs/net2ftp.com/includes/browse.inc.php on line 123

Warning: ftp_rawlist(): php_connect_nonb() failed: Operation now in progress (115) in /srv/www/htdocs/net2ftp.com/includes/browse.inc.php on line 124

Ceberus has the following:
20091021221511 [33] Incoming connection request on interface 192.168.1.250
20091021221511 [33] Connection request accepted from 78.46.43.171
20091021221511 [33] USER ija
20091021221511 [33] 331 User ija, password please
20091021221511 [33] PASS ***********
20091021221511 [33] 230 Password Ok, User logged in
20091021221511 [33] PASV
20091021221511 [33] 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,254,8,117)
20091021221511 [33] CWD
20091021221511 [33] 250 Change directory ok
20091021221511 [33] PWD
20091021221511 [33] 257 "/" is the current directory
20091021221511 [33] TYPE A
20091021221511 [33] 200 Type ASCII
20091021221640 [33] PASV
20091021221640 [33] 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,254,8,118)

BOLD = Thompson router IP also used as gateway IP (except the last parts ?? ,8,117 and 118 ??)

So, yes it appears things are set up....and working. But still no joy via Firefox with it's ftp add on, or even FlashFXP! Simply connection timed out everytime.

In FlashFXP:
I have tried PASV on and off.
Use Site IP for Passive Mode on and off
turned off STAT -L to list dir (as I dont think it is supported)
Site does not use FEAT command is ticked (on)

tried both my WAN IP address and also my dnsdns.org as the IP! Same each time. Times out.
blueray
Yes, that the net2ftp software is not so stable.
But this is an app so far I knew that does't need to be installed but could be used for testing purpose.

If you do have other ftp client. You can use that instead but it must be outside your private network.
Because that will cause issues just as you have encountered some of them.

For the theroy, it should be work.
Because that just a IP Address mapping from private address -> public address, then do
a reverse connect.

But the true is, that does't work.

As it is require a deeply knowledge of TCP/IP operation.
So you may better searching some books for that big topics on the internet.

Also, on my location.
It seems that dydns.com service was very slow for their service operations.
So, I would recommended you take a look of no-ip.com dynamic dns service.
I have been using it over 6 years and it is still the best service on my mind.
( I have been used dydns.com before. But I can't accept it as its speed was very slow)

for instance, this is my phpbb testing forum on my local machine.
Try it to see if it better that the service you are currently in use.

Of course, slow in speed could be any reasons other than the one mentioned above.
geemix
Hiya blue,

Well the good news is my friend managed to connect with no problem at all. I still can't seem to (from any pc on my internal network) no matter what software I try. Only by using the lan ip i addressed to the ftp server machine.

Not really a big deal as I don't need to connect to the ftp (obviously) from home.

So yes, it all seems to be working as it should. Thank you for all your help on this.

I shall take a look at no-ip also.

For now, thanks again.

Gee!
blueray
Hmm... why your friends could connect to it suddenly ?
Also, did the no-ip.com service running faster on the location you on ?
albuferque
Look at this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2096507_configure-passive-ftp-mode-internet.html

if you're using Firefox try this:

http://fireftp.mozdev.org/

Also check the settings in Firefox and make sure Passive FTP is selected. Active FTP from behind a firewall will likely fail unless the router is "smart" enough to detect and automatically forward the data connection automatically.