FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to split video files?

dickyzin
How can I split the video files into smaller files? Any good software that can do this efficiently and quickly?
gh0stface
Depending on what type of video files you are using.

However, I've found that VirtualDub is pretty good for splitting files without having to re-encode everything.

You can get the free program here: www.virtualdub.org
Indyan
I use virtuadub to do that. But you can output only in avi format.
hrtorrent
When you got AVI files with virtual dub, use Xilisoft video converter to convert AVI to any other video format!
Cool
dbking
well i don't know if its working best for video files.. but HJ-SPLIT is the best free file splitting software.
http://www.download.com/HJ-Split/3000-2248_4-10550267.html
Jaan
HJ split works great, and you can also use WinRar with multiple archives (most people use WinRar or HJsplit)
budazz
you can use sorenson or any video editing software so you can split it and edit it
AftershockVibe
If you get yourself virtuadubmod (as opposed to just virtuadub) I think it allows output into different formats.

I'm no expert but I believe that actually do the splitting you need to decompress any encoded file anyway. AVIs are a simple uncompressed standard (which is why they are huge) so at the splitting point most programs will probably convert to AVI, split, then re-encode.
icedrakon
Nero the latest version can do anything but is not free
MeddlingMonk
What kind of video files are you trying to split?

If you want to split/edit MPEG-2 files, then you could try VideoRedo. It allows you to easily and quickly cut out sections or divide MPEG-2 video without re-rendering. It also can fix errors in the MPEG-2 stream. It's not free, unfortunately. You can get a 15-day trial here, though: http://www.videoredo.com/?src=VRD2004-09-08.

Hope that helps.
loveandormoney
dickyzin wrote:
How can I split the video files into smaller files? Any good software that can do this efficiently and quickly?

GFTP is very good.
zacky
dickyzin wrote:

I wish I find this post before although what I would suggest is an old software which is jsplit and not sure if it still available. I used it to separate my files into floppy disk before. =)
loveandormoney
We do videos protocol a lot.
At home we convert them to wmv
so
6 GB are now 200 MB
and the quality is nearly the same.
pulgalipe
If you want a simples but functional solution, use Format Factory, a free but usual video/audio converter.
http://www.pcfreetime.com/
It's so ease to use that you don't need a tutorial.
It support split and even convert the movie at same time.
Smile