FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux In USB PenDrive/CD

cvkien
i read couple of linux in USB Pen Drive or CD which they call it Linux-lite or anything which size around 300mb. i'm quite interested with it but i don't know how good it is and i'm not really understand how to install it into cdrom or USB Pen Drive... So can anyone help me out? Thanks.
trongdinh
cvkien wrote:
i read couple of linux in USB Pen Drive or CD which they call it Linux-lite or anything which size around 300mb. i'm quite interested with it but i don't know how good it is and i'm not really understand how to install it into cdrom or USB Pen Drive... So can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Damn Small Linux is a Linux distro designed to be small in size and portable. It can run conveniently and easily on USB pen drives, smallest size CD, even directly within Windows. There are a 50MB and more than 50MB (near 200MB) versions. Information is at damnsmalllinux.org
FunDa
Oh Cool ! I was not having the time or disk space to install Linux on my system. I'll try DamnSmallLinux .

The concept is Damn Cool ! Cool

Now I can use Linux in other comps too.
Kyoushu
My mp3 player uses a flash drive, and I put DSL on it. Now I run DSL on different computers but mostly just for fun because DSL has nothing that I need and my computers already have everything I need.
saurabh.sauron
Puppy Linux can be run from a USB drive too. i didnt like DSL at all coz it was too complicated. Puppy Linux is good on its UI and also in terms of features...
desertwind
You can try Damn Small Linux, extremely good.

Puppy linux is also worth a try.

If you are not very specific to linux kernel only, you can try live versions of gnu/hurd too.
AftershockVibe
Knoppix will fit on a CD I'm not sure if it's less than the 300mb for your thumb drive though. It jsut comes as a bootable image and techincally isn't installed when it boots - it just runs from RAM and the CDROM.
cvkien
well, sometime, i couldn't understand what to do with the installation steps... it really take me a big head... cause last time i tried feather linux but i just don't underastand how to make my kingston data traveller II boot even i already tried on many ways...
Kyoushu
saurabh.sauron wrote:
Puppy Linux can be run from a USB drive too. i didnt like DSL at all coz it was too complicated. Puppy Linux is good on its UI and also in terms of features...

DSL isn't hard to use if you know anything about how to use a debian based linux. What's the point of you even having linux on a thumb drive if you don't even know how to use it, well?
coreymanshack
i've put dsl on a laptop before... i didn't like it very much... it wasn't that it was too complicated... just that it didn't have any functionality...
Teragonto
Yeah, try PuppyLinux. Its only 40MB. It even fits in my crappy 128MB pen drive!
poiko123
Oh the possibilities now with 4GB flash drives...you can pretty much put a "standard" (for a lack of a better word) linux kernel on a flash drive.
Jaan
Knoppix.org is the best I've tried. You can also google how to make a usb drive bootable so you can run Linux from it.
cheers.
shenyl
If my notebook, does not have a boot from thumbdrive feature (Compaq M2000 series), is there still a way out to boot up Linux on thumbdrive?

Yes, interested but unable to try it.
webapp
I know people who run linux off their ipod...... Smile

Listen to music work on linux
Donutey
How usable, speed wise, is Linux on a USB 2.0 thumb drive? I've setup portable firefox on a usb 1.0 drive, and its slow.
moskito
I used once a 1.44MB floppy Linux called http://www.pocket-lnx.org/about.html in my 486 DX4 100MHZ 12MB RAM and no HD and no CDROM. Crying or Very sad

I did it just to see if everything were work well, and it were.
tuncay
Well there are even floppy-disk versions of Linux, and yet there is minix which I think would fit any purpose better, and carrying with you the VMware Player (which is freeware) and the minix screenshot is generally enough.

And when it comes to minix it has a slightly more compact source code which lets editing much better.
jabol
you can always try to find full list of distributions booted from CD, like here:
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=cd
this site has quite a big list of Linux distros. just go and choose what you need
coreymanshack
hmm, i like ubuntu myself, it has a flash drive install i think
PatTheGreat42
A couple of people were talking about Knoppix. I like Knoppix - it's a pretty nice bootable Linux distro, and it's got some great built-in apps and the like. But it's a more modern version, so it requires a nice little bit of system resources - nothing crazy, but it's not for your eight year old computer lying around. FUrthermore, it's not small. I'm downloading the ISO as we speak at 695 megabytes. So it's CD size, not thumb (Well, I suppose they have gigabyte thumbs now). Furthermore, it's pretty hit or miss on laptops.

But I like it. For really small spaces, however, I'd go with Damn Small Linux. It's Damn Small, and still has a nice application sweet and GUI. Heck, it's even got FireFox. Plus, it's 49.4 megabytes, less than a tenth of Knoppix.