FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Your Best Garage Sale Find

izcool
I'm sure that almost every one of us here has been to some sort of a garage sale, a yard sale, a flea market, or any other sort of place where you can buy used (and surprisingly new items) for cheap money. I guess if you wanted, you could include thrift stores too.

So, I'm interested in hearing your best finds when you go garage sale-ing (or whatever you do for shopping).

My most recent find was at a garage sale that was down the street from my house, where they had 2 Dell Latitude C600 laptops (both sisters with the same specs - P3 @ 850MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB HDD, 2 batteries, floppy drive and CD-ROM drive) for $100.00 apiece. They're worth probably double (maybe even triple) that when you look it up on eBay.

So, go on with your stories now. Smile Describe your "best" find and give us a little story on why you think it's a good find and why you bought it.

- Mike.
kikass
a year or so back i went to a local flea market... while there i saw this old lady sittin with lots and lots of old torn books and mags... one little book caught my eye as it had a large rhino head drawn on its leather cover... on going through it i realized it was a very old hand written diary.. the lady was kind enough to let me take it coz she was gonna take all those books to the recycling place anyway... once home i started reading it and was amazed to find that this diary belonged to one Major Gough of the british Indian army... the entries start from 22 aug 1943 and go on till 2 sept 1944... the entries are generally regarding his daily work like check on his troops, check supplies... once in a while he also writes about expected attacks and his gun locations.. i think he was located somewhere in north east india... near the burma border coz he often writes "jap barrage expected", and about the continuous rains and difficulty of moving his guns coz of the hills.. ufortunately nowhere has he mentioned his initials or first name... just Maj Gough... also no mention of location.. just some hand drawn contour kinda maps... on the first page he writes.. Maj Gough, The Royal Artillery...
i have contacted the Indian Army Artillery school and they said they will be happy to put it in a showcase in their own WW2 memorial... and i am just waiting for them to come and collect it... Smile
PatTheGreat42
Three words, gents: Furry Toilet Seat.

That thing was 50 cents.

I walked around the rest of the day with it about my neck.

Yes, I sanitized it first.
SusieSmacktard
An old hotel owned by a religious group went out of business last month and held a "tag sale" of all their furnishings and decorative things. My husband bought a neat looking bedroom set for $180. Last week our antique dealer friend stopped by, looked at the set, and claimed she'd sell it in a shop for $1000. I know antiques are a fairly subjective business, but I was a little surprised.
standready
kikass wrote:
a year or so back i went to a local flea market... while there i saw this old lady sittin with lots and lots of old torn books and mags... one little book caught my eye as it had a large rhino head drawn on its leather cover... on going through it i realized it was a very old hand written diary.. the lady was kind enough to let me take it coz she was gonna take all those books to the recycling place anyway... once home i started reading it and was amazed to find that this diary belonged to one Major Gough of the british Indian army... the entries start from 22 aug 1943 and go on till 2 sept 1944... the entries are generally regarding his daily work like check on his troops, check supplies... once in a while he also writes about expected attacks and his gun locations.. i think he was located somewhere in north east india... near the burma border coz he often writes "jap barrage expected", and about the continuous rains and difficulty of moving his guns coz of the hills.. ufortunately nowhere has he mentioned his initials or first name... just Maj Gough... also no mention of location.. just some hand drawn contour kinda maps... on the first page he writes.. Maj Gough, The Royal Artillery...
i have contacted the Indian Army Artillery school and they said they will be happy to put it in a showcase in their own WW2 memorial... and i am just waiting for them to come and collect it... Smile

Very nice of the lady to let you have the journal and absolutely fantastic that you are seeing to it being put into a proper place. Congrats!

My garage sale finds were a couple of old redline HotWheels (die cast cars). Two of them for 50 cents. Book value around 60 dollars.
Blaster
I get bikes from yard sales and the trash fix them up and sell them. So my best find has got to be a nice road bike probley in a new state over a thousand dollars. I picked this up for 50 bucks it was all rusty and all. I cleaned it up. Put like 40 bucks in it and got a really nice bike. I never sold this one though. I still have it somewhere. Razz
izcool
Blaster wrote:
I get bikes from yard sales and the trash fix them up and sell them. So my best find has got to be a nice road bike probley in a new state over a thousand dollars. I picked this up for 50 bucks it was all rusty and all. I cleaned it up. Put like 40 bucks in it and got a really nice bike. I never sold this one though. I still have it somewhere. Razz

This is what my dad does for side money. He's into all of the old Schwinn Stingray / Krate bikes (the originals, not the re-pops from a few years ago), and he has his own nice collection of them and sells the "riff-raff" (which is surprisingly worth money on eBay) to make probably at least $100.00 or more on for each bike, than what he paid for the thing in the first place.

- Mike.
Soulfire
My friend found a Sega with no controllers and no adapter to plug into the wall, so she spent $7 basically for a gaming system with no use.

Other than that, no real garage sale finds here. Although we snag a few items off of Ebay quite a bit for a "steal."
Hobbit
I don't really like going to yard sales because yes, everything is cheaper, but you also waste money on things you don't need. I have gone to them though and I have never found anything interesting.
Wahwah Man
I got a classic trenchcoat in perfect condition for 8 bucks. i use it all the time
-+Enigma_84958+-
i never go to garage sales, i hate them Mad

but my friend found this cool, CB radio he loves that thing

oh yea he paid 12 buck for it
R2.DETARD
my uncle found a 55cm plasma TV for $15 a couple of years ago.
The owner thought it was broken, because he said it exploded.
turns out the fuse in the plug had blown, nothing more.

mine was a good condition PS2 (silver) 2 controllers 14 games, box and all...$50.
I pitted two neighbours against eachother, obviously there was some competitive nature in both fo them huh.
Pikokola
hmmm.. 512mb Kingstone ram.. for Rp 20.000,00 [about US$2)

The seler her didn't know how much it's cost when buy a new one, he just know that it's a low cost broken ic XD
HoboPelican
kikass wrote:
a year or so back i went to a local flea market...... belonged to one Major Gough of the british Indian army... the entries start from 22 aug 1943 and go on till 2 sept 1944... the entries are generally regarding his daily work like check on his troops, check supplies... once in a while he also writes about expected attacks and his gun locations.. i think he was located somewhere in north east india... near the burma border coz he often writes "jap barrage expected",

Hey, check out this link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/57/a4061657.shtml
It is a story about a gunner in SE Asia and the story header mentions William Douglas Gough. Don't know if this helps, but give it a look.
kikass
@hobopelican... i too had come across the same page while searching on the net.. but it cannot be the same person.. in the article he mentions his rank as Warrant Officer... which is a much lower rank than major... warrant officers are somewhere between troops and commissioned officers rankwise... thanx for looking around though Smile
alkady
The best find in my Knowledge was a few years back, I think it was in 2000 when MP3's where expensive and CD Players where the Things.

There was this expensive Panasonic CD Player that was at a sale for $20 in perfect working condition. It was worth at that time $149+ I dont remember, Anyway, I would have bought it but I never had any interest in Music at that time.

I was morely interest in the Games and Toys the guy had for sale! Laughing
Probably should have bought it!
wowz
Misprint unopened box of alpha mtg... the misprint.. they were all black lotus

old lady said "oh those were my grandson's but he's gone off to college now... you can have them for 10 bucks"

OMGz! I'm RICH

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I wish

(For those that don't know anything about MTG (magic the gathering) a black lotus is worth 2k USD in good condition.. these cards would be mint... there are 15 cards per pack, 36 packs per box I believe... 1080000 USD to take advantage of an old lady's ignorance!)
j1mr3ap3r
found a painting in the free pile at a garage sale turned out to be worth 50,000 bucks
coolclay
I got an awesome deal the other day. If your from Maine, US you will have heard of the Miles Hospital Rummage Sale. There are so many great deals there. Basically people donate junk to the hospital and they sort it out, and sell it at the 3 day rummage sale. For $2 you get a big paper bag and can fill it to overflowing with anything you want. I found an electronic Boreal Balance (scale) that is worth $290 new. And tons of other things ice skates, plates, cups, clothes, hats. I was able to cram about $500 worth of stuff into 2 bags that cost $2 a piece. I think I made out pretty good. This sale is so good, its worth coming to even if you live 100's of miles away.
snowboardude
once i got a chainsaw for $20 Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Thatguy
I picked up an almost new camera for $200. It is a Canon Elan 7e, which was around $650 new, and used beat up bodies still go for around $350.
Aless
once got a bedroom set for my student apartment for $20...and it was really nice wood & everything. The people just really wanted to get rid of it.
m00tmuffin
wow, tons of neat finds here. Smile I've found tons and tons of old sewing patterns, huge matchbook collections...some really neat furniture, some super cool clothes, sadly nothing extremely amazing is coming to mind at the moment though. Sad
raaeft1
I recall three incidents. Once, I was a student and I attended one garage sales organised by the Red Cross. I came across Trine's book ``In Tune with the Infinite'' which had a strong impact on my life.
Similarly, I came across two other books on the Divine Mother of Sri Aurobindo Ashram Pondicherry which were being sold by a pavement seller. Interestingly, one of these books was personally autographed by The Divine Mother herself.
Pyro Man
Furby, 50p- Blew it up
Tin tonka car- Flattened it, I have managed to fix it, and I am about to blow it up
Toaster, 1 from the dump- Blew it up
Answering Machine, 50p- Blew it up
reddishblue
Pyro Man wrote:
Furby, 50p- Blew it up
Tin tonka car- Flattened it, I have managed to fix it, and I am about to blow it up
Toaster, 1 from the dump- Blew it up
Answering Machine, 50p- Blew it up

lol you are a lunotic, I have never really got anything good, just the occasional board game and thats about it
DecayClan
Very nice sories guys... Razz
The best thing that i found on the net, was a "broken" P3 733MHZ, 192MB ram 20GB hdd, Ge force 2 32MB...got it for 20Euros..(about 25$ if i am not mistaken).The only problem that it had, was SOFTWARE, and not HARDWARE...so, i just reinstalled windows...(i knew it was a software problem, when the owner claimed, that it kept on restarting it sellf.That was 1,5years ago.. Razz. Wink
aaronyoung
I got about 80 old jazz LP's, a couple autographed (although not by anyone real famous) at a yard sale for $1. As a music teacher, I figured it would be worth the money if I used one of them once in the classroom. They've been played quite a bit, none of them are in outstanding condition, but it's good music and most of them sound pretty good. At the same sale I picked up about 25 or so jazz/big band cassettes for $2. I'm not that wild about the middle school jazz band, but most of the rest of it is pretty good.
eku53ru
My best find had been something I could not purchase due to a lack of money, sadly. A long while ago, I had gone with my family to this sidewalk sale, and someone had an original Gameboy out. I asked the people at the house and they offered $10 for it, complete with some games, the trade cable, etc.

My mother refused to buy it for me (at the time I was barely ten), because she was afraid that it was defective. Ironically enough, the boy that the Gameboy belonged to turned it on for me and let me play it to prove its functionality.

Other than that, I'm a sucker for the original Tonka Pound Animal series (Puppies, Purries, etc.); I've found a number of them under $2 each, even though the newer ones go for $10+ in stores. Very Happy
funnyerror
Well, I have two garage sale finds that rank first and second place overall. The first was a laptop I bought for $200 and sold for $375. The second is a LEAPSTER I bought for $1.25 and sold for $50. Great deals!

-JC
Petee
I'd have to say my electric guitar would be my best find at a garage sale. It was (and still is) in absolutely great condition. I think it's a Les Paul look-alike brand, but I don't really know for sure. I of course had to replace the strings and it needed a little cleaning here and there.

Best part was, it was only $50 dollars. Very Happy
solarwind
I found a Sony PSP on the ground on my way home from school one day. It had a game in it and had a 2 gig memory stick. I went home and ordered a charger and usb cable.

I'm happy. Very Happy
bluecradle
It's not actually a garage sale i think, but i still saved alot when Planet Reebok in a mall near us had a discounted weekend sale. I bought shoes and bags with 50-70% discount, there goes my 2 weeks allowance Rolling Eyes

Oh and another great find i guess was 3 years ago i think when my aunt gave me her old laptop, an HP PIII 850 with 20 gig HD, 256mb of Ram, DVD, for free, i just bought an adaptor for it.
nilsmo
Yesterday my mom saw I painting on sale for $200 at a garage sale. She new it was a nice painting. However, someone beat her two it as she contemplated buying it. Too bad it turned out to be worth probably $2000.