FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How shall I improve my pc?t

m0u53m4t
Im looking to spend about 60 on improving my dell dimention 3000. Its got a 3.2 meg processor, 700 and something ddr2 ram, intergrated graphics, PCI only slots. What do you recommend?
TomS
Hi! First of all, I'd urgently recommend you to build in a graphic card cause you have quite a cool system but with real bad graphics performance which is surely not good. You wanna spend about 60... hmm.. so u won't be able to take a real performance card... But I'd say every card in this price-segment should do it better than your onboard graphics solution. Do you have a PCI-Express slot? If you do so, prefer it to an AGP card because PCI-E is way faster and better and is used in almost every new PC...

Ok, have fun with upgrading your PC! It's quite a nice one... But if you plan to buy a new one anytime, I'd personally think about building it from components on my own... You can save lots of money if you already have the software... e.g. look at this in the very last post in this thread, that's my setup for a real good PC... http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-46707.html

Another thing that you cold easily upgrade, is your Ram... 768 is not really a lot nowadays. Think about getting another 256 dual channel at least. But first look into your pc and take a look at the Motherboard. You need at least one free dualchannel slot to do this, otherwise, you'll hafta replace the whole or a part of your old ram. I can imagine there is one 512B and one 256MB Ram, in this case you'll most likely have to replace the 256...

Hope I helped you with that! greetz
Notika
Quote:
Another thing that you cold easily upgrade, is your Ram... 768 is not really a lot nowadays. Think about getting another 256 dual channel at least. But first look into your pc and take a look at the Motherboard. You need at least one free dualchannel slot to do this, otherwise, you'll hafta replace the whole or a part of your old ram. I can imagine there is one 512B and one 256MB Ram, in this case you'll most likely have to replace the 256...

Hmm... He don't really need to pull out his 256MB ram, because of his 512MB Ram is also a single channel card... But I agree that another 256-512MB Ram will be very good for his PC...

m0u53m4t: I really think you should by a Graphiccard, because of the lost performance in integrated graphics...
psycosquirrel
I agree. If you can, get the 3dFuzion 6600 PCI card. If you can't find that one, get an eVGA 5500 or 5200 PCI. You have plenty or RAM, 3/4 of a Gb is plenty for most users.