FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

So much for that. Pity party here. lol.

ehecatl
I need comforting and advice. I got fired from the best job I ever had today. They fired me because they "have standards" that I'm "not meeting". Is that a valid reason? Can I get unemployment off that? And I worked 35 and 21 hour shifts straight through for them, is that grounds enough to get a lawyer and take legal action? (I worked at an assisted living home for the mentally disabled.)
LukeakaDanish
35 hour shifts sound pretty crazy to me (I dont even do that when i LAN with my friend - and were sat down playing PC - not working!)

I would say that they should give you a better reason - if they could define "standards" they would be in the good - but the way it is now it just seams like their making up a reason to lay of a worker Sad
Traveller
ehecatl wrote:
Can I get unemployment off that?

As long as you were not fired for disciplinary reasons and did not quit on your own, you should be able to get unemployment. You'll have to check with your state's unemployment office to see if you meet any other qualifications they may have.

ehecatl wrote:
... is that grounds enough to get a lawyer and take legal action?

That would probably be pretty tough unless you can prove that your performance was not substandard and that your employers actually did something unjust or illegal by firing you. In general, employers are free to set whatever standards they wish, as long as they do not violate your actual rights.

Although you may have a right to work, you do not, necessarily, have a legal right to work for a particular employer so, unless the employer provably broke the law by firing you, it probably is not sufficient grounds for legal action on your part.
ehecatl
LukeakaDanish wrote:
35 hour shifts sound pretty crazy to me (I dont even do that when i LAN with my friend - and were sat down playing PC - not working!)

I would say that they should give you a better reason - if they could define "standards" they would be in the good - but the way it is now it just seams like their making up a reason to lay of a worker Sad

Yeah. They didn't seem to fond of me... There was more drama at that job than at high school, middle school, and grade school combined!
IceNinjaa
ehecatl wrote:

Yeah. They didn't seem to fond of me... There was more drama at that job than at high school, middle school, and grade school combined!

if thats the case then i find it confusing how it was the best job you ever had. unless you just mean that you really didnt have to work? in any case im sorry to hear about you losing your job.
HoboPelican
ehecatl wrote:
I need comforting and advice. I got fired from the best job I ever had today. They fired me because they "have standards" that I'm "not meeting". Is that a valid reason? Can I get unemployment off that? And I worked 35 and 21 hour shifts straight through for them, is that grounds enough to get a lawyer and take legal action? (I worked at an assisted living home for the mentally disabled.)

Well, it probably won't help you, but reporting those hours to the wage and hours commission might cause them some grief. It may seem a bit petty, but I think that is against the law in most states.
standready
Sorry to hear about your job. I need to ask what the standards were? Were you informed about them and given a warning that you were not meeting them before being let go? These are questions the unemployment office will most likely ask. Also, future employers will question this as well - "reason for leaving".
ehecatl
IceNinjaa wrote:
if thats the case then i find it confusing how it was the best job you ever had. unless you just mean that you really didnt have to work? in any case im sorry to hear about you losing your job.

It had drama, but just because it had alot of drama doesn't mean it can't still be the best job I ever had. If you enjoy what you do and don't really feel like you're working at all (6.50 10p to 6a to sleep and 8.50 6a to 10p) of course you're gonna think of it as the best job you had. Plus, it was a hellof alot better than fast food.

standready wrote:
Sorry to hear about your job. I need to ask what the standards were? Were you informed about them and given a warning that you were not meeting them before being let go? These are questions the unemployment office will most likely ask. Also, future employers will question this as well - "reason for leaving".

No I wasn't warned and no, I couldn't tell you what these "standards" were cause they didn't even tell me.