FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pet Birds

mabuhay
What's your feelings on pet birds? I say they make crappy pets unless they can be trained. Otherwise they interrupt you when you are watching TV. Besides, it's cruel to cage an animal that was meant to fly.
jipmerite
Yes it does seem a crime to have birds caged. But even in a cage, birds can have a pretty happy life. They aren't really Rocket Scientists to figure out something is amiss. All they care about is good food, some space to spread their wings and a healthy mate with a nesting place.

So if you can provide them with these basics, it isn't really cruel. I have seen a guy keep 4 Finchers in a cage that was about 4inches x 3inches x 4 inches. Now that is cruelty.

If a bird isn't being kept well, it would become pretty obvious over time. Large birds such as macaws are quite intelligent and they will get moody, inactive and angry if they are unhappy. Smaller birds would probably not mate.

Anyway I really haven't had much problems of birds being unhappy cos I make large cages and keep few birds in them. They breed very well and I feed them a variety of seeds, fruits, eggs, milk, leaves and lots of other healthy things.

I think keeping birds is a good hobby. It teaches us compassion, responsibility and helps us get in touch with nature.
largelyobscure
I actually liked the parakeets I used to have. I hated having to give them away when I was working alot. If I get birds again I think I would like to have some type of bird that is more likely to be able to talk.

How likely is it for a cockatiel to talk? I've heard they can be trained, at least easier than parakeets. I know it's a lot of time. I took good care of the parakeets that I had; I gave them away on account that I had not enough time to give them attention and being sociable animals I felt bad on account of this.

I'm sorry about any duplicity by starting the <<Parakeets>> thread. Smile