FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ring Ver.2.0

lococobra
Rings are one of the first things that 3d modelers try to make because they are very simple, and utilize many different aspects which are fun to do. This includes Caustics, Reflection, Refraction, and in mine HDRI. I had made several other rings before this, but for this one I was trying to go with photorealism. I spent about 30 minutes creating the scene and another 2 hours adjusting textures so the reflections would work. Any critiques or comments would be nice. Especially those focusing on how I could make it more realistic.

Edit: updated the image to full size
lococobra
I just found the initial version of the ring, focusing only on caustics... colors arn't great. I think I improved.

kaikou
Wow, that's cool Smile
What kind of metal were you going for?

Sorry if that's a stupid question. It's late here. lol.

I think it might be fun to make the ring look old somehow Smile Give it a bit more character, yeah? Scratches and things. Dings.
lococobra
trust me, I've tried that and its a lot harder than you would think it would be. Just getting any sort of texture on an object is actually quite a chore. I dont really know what kind of metal I was going for... Kind of generic metal... reflective and stuff.
Kashinilaya
More realistic? Are you kidding? It looks like a photograph!
KSheriff
Well, considering it is a ring, I'm guessing it's supposed to be gold. Right now, the diffuse colour may be a little too far on the gray side, as I think it could use just a tad more saturation. Not related to the ring, but what material is it supposed to be resting on?
lococobra
Concrete, and yeah you're probably right about the diffuse. If you look really carefully, you can see where my scene ends and where the background image starts. Thats what took the most time, I was trying to get that part to look seamless.