FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Looking for a good RPG to the ps2





althalus
Hellu,

Like the title says, I'm looking for a good RPG to the ps2. The only real requirement would be that the game doesn't 'reset' back to the main menu when I die... Guess you don't see a lot of those, eh..

I've seen this in a few games though, and I remember Breath of Fire to the SNES did this. Instead of me having to go through the effort of reloading every time I die, it pops me right back at the last save point. (Ok, now when I think about it I guess it's not much different from having to reload, but it feels like less of a struggle)... Speaking of BoF, are the ps games any good? And are there any similar games to the BoF serie? I quite liked the first two to the SNES (the only ones I've played).

Cheers. Cool
rightclickscott
You probably wouldn't like this game unless you played the original cult classic for the PS1, Legend of Legaia, but it's sequel is out on the PS2, and it's called Legaia 2: Duel Saga. It has a unique battle system and more secrets, cookies, and easter eggs than any other game in the world. There are so many secrets that you might find something new every time you go into a town, and in the campfire sequences, you can learn so much about the characters. If what I say sounds similar to Oblivion, believe me, it's the polar opposite. The traveling system and story are both very linear, and the graphics aren't amazing, but there are some complex puzzles, and alot of side quests and secrets, that most of the time, you won't even spend time on the main, well, I lie, you will spend alot of time on the same story, but with all the secrets, you'll hardly feel like you've done the same thing over and over again. I highly reccomend this game, especially if you were a fan of the cult classic original, which was even better, in my opinion.
althalus
Thanks for the suggestion, although if it's anything like the original (I got up to the point just after the Monastery with the east and west forests), the fight system is a little off for my liking.

I'll look into it though. Smile
Fenroy
If you're looking for somewhat of an odd battle system in a game, check out Xenosaga. It's a trilogy, but I can't remember whether or not they've released the third title yet. Anyway, it's got an interesting storyline (somewhat related to Xenogears, from what I've heard), and some of the characters are just plain awesome. The first title in the series is Xenosaga: Der Wille Zur Macht. If you pick up the series anywhere after that, you'll likely be extremely confused about what's going on.

It's been awhile since I've played it, but I'm pretty sure if you die in Xenosaga, it gives you the option of restarting the battle. I could be wrong because I've been playing a lot of Baten Kaitos lately, in which you can do that. That game's for Gamecube, though, so I'll not get into details.

BoF4 for the PS is a rather good game. I enjoyed playing it, and it has really good replay value. I suggest you look into it if you like the BoF series.
rightclickscott
althalus wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, although if it's anything like the original (I got up to the point just after the Monastery with the east and west forests), the fight system is a little off for my liking.

I'll look into it though. Smile


In the second one, the battle system has been revamped, so you don't have to use "Spirit" every other turn. Not only that, but attacks have been redone, and you don't have to get magic from monsters, you get them from scrolls you get while playing through the game. The up, down, left, and right system is still there, and it's different among some other characters, but you'll get the hang of it quickly. It's a fun game that you should definetly try out, and don't worry if you don't finish the first one, since the stories are different between the two.

I enjoyed the first one so much because there were so many awsome moments. That's what I like about games, just awsome moments.
ignition
Check out Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and the Champions games. (Champions of Norrath, and Champions: Return to Arms). I don't own a PS2 nor do I play video games anymore, but a couple summers ago a friend and I played through all three of those games in coop. It was some fun shit man...occupied us for a couple months straight. They are all top down, fast paced Diablo style rpg's, but they are really addictive and fun as hell if you're playing with a friend. Definitely worth it.

Oh and I don't know if it counts as an rpg, but Gun is an awesome game as well. Think western-style GTA with a script and plot that tops that of many movies. You are playing a movie in that game, and it is fun as hell.
xzoz92
probly u already have final fantasy if u are a rpg player but i still sugest u getting final fantasy x its totally diferent form the other final fantasy games imo but i still like em all to much not to try to get my hands on them
rayx
rightclickscott wrote:
You probably wouldn't like this game unless you played the original cult classic for the PS1, Legend of Legaia, but it's sequel is out on the PS2, and it's called Legaia 2: Duel Saga. It has a unique battle system and more secrets, cookies, and easter eggs than any other game in the world. There are so many secrets that you might find something new every time you go into a town, and in the campfire sequences, you can learn so much about the characters. If what I say sounds similar to Oblivion, believe me, it's the polar opposite. The traveling system and story are both very linear, and the graphics aren't amazing, but there are some complex puzzles, and alot of side quests and secrets, that most of the time, you won't even spend time on the main, well, I lie, you will spend alot of time on the same story, but with all the secrets, you'll hardly feel like you've done the same thing over and over again. I highly reccomend this game, especially if you were a fan of the cult classic original, which was even better, in my opinion.


But I mostly love The PS1 version than the Ps2 Duel Saga! Story is better and i ilke the combo style Legend Of Gaia 1.
faker_phil
xzoz92 wrote:
probly u already have final fantasy if u are a rpg player but i still sugest u getting final fantasy x its totally diferent form the other final fantasy games imo but i still like em all to much not to try to get my hands on them


Exactly. Final Fantasy is THE Role-Playing game for the Playstation, just get the latest title. You can even get some for PC (I have FFVII).
DopeyCriz
Star Ocean Til End Of Time
Breath Of Fire Dragon Quarter
.Hack// Infection
.Hack// Mutation
.Hack// Outbreak
.Hack// Quarantine
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Grandia III
Phantasy Star Online
Drakengard (ARPG)
Drakengard II (ARPG)
Kingdom Heart
Kingdom Hearts II

ARPG Is Action RolePlaying Game if some people don't know it.
(n00bs)

~DopeyCriz
theAlist
Definatly try Kingdom hearts -- its a a great way to waste time -- but you get good video animation and story line Razz
Fenroy
DopeyCriz wrote:
...
Phantasy Star Online
...


Wait, PSO is out on the PS2? I thought it was only made for Dreamcast and Gamecube. I've played both versions, and I must say that the Dreamcast version is decidedly harder than the Gamecube version. They both loads of fun, though, and, as the title suggests, it supports online play. I personally play it offline because I don't feel like investing in a Gamecube modem, but if it's out on the PS2, that makes life a lot easier for the online game junkie.
gr3gg3r
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Kindom Hearts
Kindom Hearts 2
Legend of Legia (PS1, but still awesome)
Legia 2
Any previous Final Fantasy game to date.
Final Fantasy 12... when it comes out.

There are several good ones out there. But watch out, there are even more horrible ones. My friend has bought me a few for my past birthdays. I've never played them since. Don't just look at the covers and decide because it has cool drawing on it to buy it. lol
althalus
Wow, that's quite a list. Very Happy Thanks a lot guys, you made my day. Smile Smile


Now tell me, how many of these fill my 'sort-of-requirement'? (Not to "reset" when I die, having to redo everything since the last savespot rather than being revived at a temple or whatever [a la Breath of Fire] Wink I guess I didn't write that part out too clearly though)..

I'll have a look at those titles for sure. Thanks again. Smile
benwhite
I just picked up kingdom hearts II, it's an extremely easy but enjoyable action rpg. I can't imagine anyone dying playing, but the battle engine is fun and the game, while childish at times, is very enjoyable.

FFX is solid. Avoid x-2 though unless you have some time on your hands, it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as the first.
Fenroy
DopeyCriz wrote:
...
Phantasy Star Online
...


Ok, I did some research (thank you, Wikipedia) and discovered that PSO is in fact NOT for the Playstation 2. The only systems it has been released for are Gamecube, Xbox, and PC. The gameplay, however, is awesome, and it helps that when you die, you simply get teleported back to Pioneer 2 (the mother ship, if you will). You lose all of the money you were carrying and your weapon gets unequipped, but it remains in your inventory. It's quite handy when you get overwhelmed by a horde of enemies that are extraordinarily difficult to kill. It's also handy if you go into a boss battle with too low of a level not realizing it. The game is auto-saved only when you quit the game, so try not to get any power surges Very Happy
althalus
I gave kingdom Hearts a shot, just for starters. Didn't play for very long as I'm heading to bed in short, but I quite like the graphics. And the gameplay seems easy enough (maybe too easy?), but as I'm more of a fan of the story rather than spending numerous hours trying to reach a higher level, that may be a good thing. Smile
Pablo Diablo
Final Fantasy X obviously, but Suikoden III was a real surprise. Suikoden III is so gigantic, that it could have easily been two or three entirely separate games. Overflowing with character development and a high-quality story that's rivaled only by Squaresoft's equally impressive Final Fantasy X, Konami's latest effort reeks of major league production value. So impressed was I by the sheer size and fun of it all, I came to realize that there is just no way that a single play-through could do justice to this fantastic world.

Whether the addictive mini-games like Bodhran and the super-fast rendition of horse racing tickles your fancy, or playing as 108 completely unique and identifiable characters is more your speed, Suikoden III is never at a loss of something to give its player. One of the most enjoyable, deep, and pleasing Role-Playing adventures I've ever experienced, Konami's three-time lucky masterpiece is as close to perfection as I could have hoped. An easy recommendation to any and all RPG fans regardless of their dedication, Suikoden III is most definitely for real. Go out and buy it right now!
Mr. McCoy
Monster Hunter...

i think its a GREAT game, but not so many plays it anymore!!

lots og quests, monthly new Special quests, friggin many weapons, even more items and combining and REALLY great monsters!!

i truely love the game, and im looking forward too MH2 !!

simply just cant wait Razz !!


McCoy
Cal_123
I'd recommend FF7. It owns everything! For a 1995 release, cinamatic graphics are A C E! Laughing

-cal
Fenroy
Cal_123 wrote:
I'd recommend FF7. It owns everything! For a 1995 release, cinamatic graphics are A C E! Laughing

-cal


I second that. Also, there's supposed to be a new FF7 spin-off released sometime this year or early next called Dirge of Cerberus. This time, Vincent Valentine is the lead character, not Cloud Strife, but it looks like a really good game. From what I've seen of it, it looks like it involves some RPG elements as well as some FPS elements. It should be a good game no matter what.

Also, I don't know how many people have seen Advent Children (the FF7 movie), but it's friggin sweet. While, admittedly, it doesn't really belong in this thread since it isn't even a game, I just thought I'd drop a reference to it while we were talking about all things Final Fantasy 7.
rightclickscott
Fenroy wrote:
IAlso, there's supposed to be a new FF7 spin-off released sometime this year or early next called Dirge of Cerberus. This time, Vincent Valentine is the lead character, not Cloud Strife, but it looks like a really good game. From what I've seen of it, it looks like it involves some RPG elements as well as some FPS elements. It should be a good game no matter what.


Played it, beat it, it's mediocre, don't waste your good 50 bucks on it. I would reccommend it when the price drops to 20 bucks, but 50 is way too much for the game itself.
DutchTricks
Final Fantasy XII is coming out pretty soon!
When you die you get redirected to the main menu, but still, FF series are THE best RPG's ever made imo.
althalus
Looking into Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II. My brother and his friend played the first one to the GC and it looked swell. I noticed it's a direct sequel which might not be so great, but I'll still try it out. Hack and slash can be fun to waste some hours. Wink
deStructuralized
in my humble opinion, the final fantasy series stopped being good after 7.

just thought i'd add that Wink
althalus
I'm not much for the newer FF in 3d. I loved FF 3/6 to the SNES though. Smile I miss the era of the pixelated goodness that Square and Enix and ther like brought us. Neutral
SilverDogg
althalus wrote:
Looking into Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II. My brother and his friend played the first one to the GC and it looked swell. I noticed it's a direct sequel which might not be so great, but I'll still try it out. Hack and slash can be fun to waste some hours. Wink


i dont know if i would say its swell ;D. its great for wasting time, but thats pretty much it aswell ^^.
Kelcey
well I just got Valkyrie Profile 2. So far it's pretty good. The voice acting is absolutely terrible but the graphics are definitely the best I've seen on the weak PS2. The battle system is actually pretty good too. The game can be very difficult though.
Related topics
Buying PHP based RPG
Free Online Games (Do not make more new threads about this)
Final Fantasy 8
Ripping music from ps2 game
Suggest me a very good RPG game.
Nexus RPG
RPG-FPS
What is Your favorite platform?? XBOX? GC? OR PS2?
PC and PS2 Games - RPG, Horror, Cult, etc...
Looking for a good RPG for PC
WoW Forum RPG
[Official]Wii
On-Line RPG
Anyone got a PS2 Linux kit?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Games

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.