FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I have a trojen virus stuck in my system restore file

abuetyfulprincess
I have a fairly new computer(E-machine). the first thing I did was install PCILLIAN. It is a very good procection program. however a managed to get a trojen file that I had to delate manualy, I found the file and got rid of it. now when I scan my computer it says that I have that same trojen stuck in one of my system restore files. how do I get rid of it for good???
myworld
You need to disable system restore. Reboot. Then rerun your anti-virus to remove.

I am assuming you have Windows XP so go to

Start
right click on "my computer"
Choose "properties"
In there there is a tab for system restore - click into this tab.
Check the "disable system restore on all drives".
Can't remember if you are asked to reboot but if not then reboot.
Startup in safe mode if your anti-virus will run it if not restart as normal and re-run your anti-virus. Once you have cleaned the system don't forget to re-eanble system restore by following the same procedure but choosing appropriate options.

Hope that sorts your problem.
Jaan
It is VERY hard to remove trojans. I usually get rid of them by reformatting. If you can, I recommend you do so. Also, save all your private data, as you never know what can happen. I once had a trojan that encrypted my hard drive and asked for money to get my data back. Twisted Evil
saskshadowplayers
I had a similar problem... Just look around on the intraweb a little bit, you'll find some help. I reccomend AVG, HiJack This amoung others to help. Also, it could be a "false positive" from your Anti virus so check a few other antivirus programs before you do anything too crazy (like formatting your hard drive)
swizzy
i dont know why, but micro$ofts system restore sux, it really keeps getting in the way and hampers everything, it is more harmful, than usefull
keshavkesh2004
Ohh if that is the problem ur facing with trojan virus, the same thing is to me too..!! I get stuck by this virus whenever i m browsing or else so many windows pops up suddenly when i try to close damn system goes to restart, no idea how to handle this problems , when i try to scan the system using norton antivirus i get no virus results.. and also when i try scan the system with microsoft antispyware still i get no spy or adware found on your system. if anybody can help me please do it..!! i will be waiting for all your replies.
Bones
abuetyfulprincess wrote:
I have a fairly new computer(E-machine). the first thing I did was install PCILLIAN. It is a very good procection program. however a managed to get a trojen file that I had to delate manualy, I found the file and got rid of it. now when I scan my computer it says that I have that same trojen stuck in one of my system restore files. how do I get rid of it for good???

If it is in your sustem restore folder (System Volume Information)
Then disable system restore, restart the pc, and then enable system restore again.

When you restart the pc with sys restore disabled, it deletes all of your restore points.
Teddy1
Or.... use zonelabs Anti-Virus software as this scans system restore files also and picks up any virus's. Zonelabs also opts to remove/quarantine/repair/ignore the file i would suggest remove. Smile it saves switching off your system and messing through your settings etc...
Bones
that depends..if you have an NTFS file system, most AV software has trouble with restore points because of permission restrictions on the System volume information folder.

The restore points cannot be trusted now anyway. I'd blow em away takes less than 2 minutes to do, and is more reliavble than any AV software.
corey
Yes. Try simply deleting all restore points and running your antivirus program. Once clean, then set a new restore point.
alexchan28
you can also try ewido.net, it's pretty good virus removal site
ofcouse you should disablt your resotre option first