FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

phpBB - Installation Tutorial

mathiaus
Providing a comprehensive 'How To' tutorial guide, on the installation of phpBB on your Frihost account. Includes; downloading of files; uploading using Direct Admin's File Manager; CHMOD using Direct Admin's File Manager; MySQL database creation, phpBB initial configuration.
This guide should help everyone from beginners, with images and an in-depth guide of what to do.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
This guide only covers phpBB 2.*.* , version 3 beta, RC or final releases are not support here, though most processes will be the same.

Step 1.
To start with we need to download phpbb. This can be done by visiting the phpBB downloads page which should look like the image below.
Before you download, you need to read the license agreement (green).
Direct Admin supports the .tar.gz compression file so by downloading that version, we can speed up the upload process.
This image is outdated, you should choose the default STABLE version

Step 2.
A save pop-up should show automatically. If not click the provided link. When it does make sure to save to disk (green) then click Ok (red).
If this box does not show, go to step #3, If it saves Ok, skip to step #4

Step 3.
If the download in step #2 succeeded, skip to step #4
If the download fails or the pop-up fails to show at all try these options. First click the 'this direct link' link (red). If you now get the pop-up, return to step #3.
Second, try choosing a new location to download from, click the green link and choose a new location. This should return to step #3 as well, now with a pop-up on screen.

Step 4.
Now we need to upload the file. This can be done by using ftp however with all the different clients, only Direct Admin provides consistency among all users so I'll be using that here.
Visit the main login page, entering your username and password then clicking Ok (red).

Step 5.
After logging in, under the 'Your Account' section, click on File Manager (red)

Step 6.
Assuming you are installing under your primary domain, just click on public_html (red), otherwise go to domains then choose the domain you are installing it under.

Step 7.
Un-compressing the file will create a new directory so if we want public_html forum we should upload the file public_html, if we want it at public_html/scripts/forum we should upload to public_html/scripts.
Find the folder you are uploading to then under all the file click the 'Upload files to current directory' button (red).

Step 8.
Next to box #1 click 'Browse' (red) and search the pop-up for the phpBB file you recently downloaded, click it then click open. The pop-up should close and the path to the file should now be present in the box. Now click 'Upload Files' (green).

Step 9.
You should receive a confirmation message. Click the 'here' (green) to go back to the File Manager.

Step 10.
You should now see that the file has been uploaded. Now we need to extract the file (green).

Step 11.
There's no need to concern yourself over anything on this page, just click 'Extract' (red) to continue.

Step 12.
This page may take a while to load as it is un-compressing a rather large file. When fully complete, you'll receive another confirmation page. No direct link back from here so just go back to the file manager anyway you like.

Step 13.
Navigate back to the directory where the .tar.gz file is currently stored. We want to delete it now so check the check box to its right (green) then click the 'Delete' button (red) underneath.

Step 14.
You'll need to confirm that you do want to delete the file. Click Ok (green) on the little pop-up

Step 15.
People visiting your forum via a link with phpbb2 in it is just horrible so now lets change the name of the folder.
In File manager go back to the directory the phpBB2 folder is located and click 'Rename' (green).

Step 16.
Type in the new name of your folder (forum is suggested) and click rename (green).

Step 17.
You should be automatically be redirected back to the file manager and be able to see that the folder is now called forum (or whatever called it in step 16). Click the name to enter that folder (red).

Step 18.
Before we install we need to change the permissions of config.php. Here I'll show you how to do that in Direct Admin though it can be done using FTP CHMOD (in which case, skip steps 18 - 19).
Find config.php and click the little check box to its right (red).

Step 19.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and type '666' into the small text box next to the button which can now be pressed named 'Set Permission' (green).

Step 20.
After it refreshes you should now see the new permissions on the config file.

Step 21.
Creating a database. Return back to the welcome page, under the 'Your Account' section click on 'MySQL Management' (green).

Step 22.
Click on 'Create new database' (red).

Step 23.
Create a new name, username and password for your database (notice the db name and username start with your DA username first and then an underscore!), then click 'Create' (green).

Step 24.
Another confirmation page with all your details. Keep this page open if you don't have a good memory, otherwise click back (green) to go back.

Step 25.
The part where most people give up due to confusion but in fact one of the easiest stages. You need to go to the install page now. To visit this simply visit your forum directory and it automatically redirect you!
In my example I uploaded it into the domain folder, mathiaus.frih.net and it created its own folder called forum so I would visit: http://mathiaus.frih.net/forum

Default Board Language: Simple enough. What language should guests and anyone who haven't set their language, see?
Database Type: At Frihost we use V4 so choose 'MySQL 4.x/5.x'
Choose your installation method: Were installing so leave it alone.
----------
Database Server Hostname / DSN: make it 'localhost'
Your Database Name: As created in step 23. In my case my DA username is mathiaus and I called the database forum, so the database name is 'mathiaus_forum'
Database Username: Also from step 23. My DA username is mathiaus and created the user phpbb so the database username is 'mathiaus_phpbb'
Database Password: In my case I chose 'password' put yo should enter the password you created in step 23.
Prefix for tables in database: Leave as phpbb_ unless you already have phpbb installed using the same database.
----------
Admin email address: The address of yourself for admin emails to be sent to (and sent from to users).
Domain name: Hopefully obvious.
Server Port: Leave at 80
Script Path: This will depend on where you uploaded to and what you called your directory later. Its in relation from public_html so if you uploaded one directory up (public_html/forum) you just need '/forum'/. If you went several directories higher you would need to enter them.
Administrator Username: This is the name of your admin account for your forum.
Administrator Password: Create a password for the above account
Administrator Password [confirm]: Same as above
Click 'Start Install' (green)

Step 26.
Click on 'Finish Installation

Step 27.
Were now told to delete the install and contrib directories

Step 28.
... so we go back to the File Manager, check the checkbox next to each of those folders and click 'Delete'.

FINISHED

----------------------------------------------------------------------

n0obie4life's previous tutorial can be found here.
A flash, non-Frihost specific tutorial can be found here.

Modifications: 24/08/2006 - Spelling/grammar corrections courtesy of Daniel15
01/09/2006 - Added more description at step 25 on where to locate page
28/11/2006 - Changed initial description to better PR for ease of users finding it
29/05/2007 - Changed image 1 and 1's link to reflect phpBB's site update
29/05/2007 - Changed order of #2 & #3 to reflect new download method of phpBB
LukeakaDanish
Nice tutorial...i think i shall be directing A LOT of n**bies to it Very Happy

Maybe i should write an ad-on for downloading and installing a custom style - a lot of people want that and you could put it nicely at the bottom of your tutorial?

- Luke
Trent DeWhite
Thank you so much! Very Happy
MeTHoD-X
Awesome post, thanks very much.

I however, have another problem and I have searched first but came up with nothing. I've installed a phpbb forum on here before (a few days ago) with success. however, I recently registered a new domain and am re-installing the forum on that particular account.

I started from scratch and did everything as stated in this post, however when I go to http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/install/install.php I get a bunch of garbled text. And I have set config.php to 666.

Does this have anything to do with my new domain name?
LukeakaDanish
MeTHoD-X wrote:

I however, have another problem and I have searched first but came up with nothing. I've installed a phpbb forum on here before (a few days ago) with success. however, I recently registered a new domain and am re-installing the forum on that particular account.

I started from scratch and did everything as stated in this post, however when I go to http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/install/install.php I get a bunch of garbled text. And I have set config.php to 666.

I have seen this problem before.

My first suggestion is that you ensure that php is working - last time i saw it php turned out not be working, which, of course, explains why it went all garbled.

If it is working, make sure your uploading your files in the right mode.
m0u53m4t
I got stuck on step 25. I cant find the window to change that stuff.
mathiaus
PM'd you the page you need to visit and updated step 25 with a description of where to locate the page Smile
Mayat^Reput
Good tutor .....simple and easy to understand
Manofgames
i agree, i tryed setting up a forum with my last host but failed, thanks for the tutorial Very Happy
xframe
thanks for this...ive used it twice already.
Asher
These instructions are a life saver. One thing is missing tho, which is in the PHP quick start guide - namely this post-install task: "Change the permissions on config.php to be writeable only by yourself (644)".
Ablank
Cool ty it help me in make my forum Very Happy
Trent DeWhite
I can get up to step 25, but after clicking on http://forhisglory.frih.net/forum, I just get for the forbidden message: "You don't have permission to access /forum on this server." Sad
TruPain
many many thanks for this tutorial! I was getting ready to forget about it...

now I am going to do a search on how to set up topics graphics, etc and all that fun stuff...
arkebuzer
Awesome tutorial!!!
Huge thanks Very Happy

It΄s so good even I managed to follow all the steps and have the forum working in just a matter of minutes... if I can do it - anyone can, lol

Thanks again mate Smile

Regards
mikethm
Excellent tutorial. Thank you!
halo-net
LukeakaDanish wrote:
MeTHoD-X wrote:

I have seen this problem before.

My first suggestion is that you ensure that php is working - last time i saw it php turned out not be working, which, of course, explains why it went all garbled.

If it is working, make sure your uploading your files in the right mode.

I have the same problem, yet I am not sure what you mean. how do i fix this?
Blaster
add links to like the install files and all. Anyhow thats the first phpbb forum i installed on direct admin Very Happy It was a lot clearer then n0obies Very Happy
stacho
Very Nice Tutorial!
Very well for beginners! Smile
Daisie
Thank you for making my instal going so smoothly, I m up and running !
Now just got to figure out adding add on ...
Ghost Rider103
Very nice tutorial man. The next time I need to install something, I will try and remeber to use this.

Once again, thanks. Cool
HalfBloodPrince
Wow! Thanks!!!!!!!! With ur tutorial it took me 15 mins, without it, it would have taken me 15 years!!!
saratdear
Just a little doubt -

Although I am not making any website right now, I am going to try to install phpBB just for the practice. However, in the future, if I want to delete this, what all do I have to delete?
Sorry, I am a noob.

EDIT : I think I am screwing up. I have failed on steps 10 and 11. When I click on extract, it just loads a blank page. And Direct Admin is frequently logging me out.

If anyone could help me? Sad

EDIT 2 : Done! I successfully installed it! Could everyone please check out - www.amazingindia.frih.net/forum to see whether it is ok to you too?
ysamphy
I am writing to call for help with my forum admin control panel. When i followed the link to my Forum Admin CP, this message appeared:
Quote:
Not Found
The requested URL /forum/login.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

My login.php file does exist in the directory, with the permission 666, just the way the tutorial tells me to do.

My forum URL is http://jds-kh.frih.net

I have followed the tutorial and finally i could set up a forum just the one i have wanted! Great! Many and many thanks for the help!

I can't wait to hear from you! And again, thanks a bunch for the great support! Really have lifted me off the ground!
gh0strec0n_legit
Where was this when i did my forums, dude i uploading every signle file manually not knowing thata i could do it this way....arghh
ysamphy
ysamphy wrote:
I am writing to call for help with my forum admin control panel. When i followed the link to my Forum Admin CP, this message appeared:
Quote:
Not Found
The requested URL /forum/login.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

My login.php file does exist in the directory, with the permission 666, just the way the tutorial tells me to do.

My forum URL is http://jds-kh.frih.net

I have followed the tutorial and finally i could set up a forum just the one i have wanted! Great! Many and many thanks for the help!

I can't wait to hear from you! And again, thanks a bunch for the great support! Really have lifted me off the ground!

Done! Please ignore my request for help above! It is now all up and running! Again, thanks for the great tutorial!

Cheers,
BlazeDragon132
This tutorial is great! Thank you so much for posting it, I had been so clueless with phpBB until now! Very Happy
grizli
thx it's the first ''forum install'' tutorial i understad
Ghost900
Great Tutorial.

I made my forum now but I can't get into the Admin area because anytime I do it disconnects me. Sad
jsk02a
Works beautifully! I had a few problems, but probably due to my own ineptness Smile Thank you!
mathiaus
Updated to reflect the new style of phpBB's download page.
Thanks Diablosblizz Very Happy
The World is Yours
Quote:
I think I am screwing up. I have failed on steps 10 and 11. When I click on extract, it just loads a blank page. And Direct Admin is frequently logging me out.

I am having the same problem, whenever I press "extract" the page goes blank, I have tried several times, and have gone over the steps and I'm pretty sure I am following them exactly, could someone please help me figure out why?
AVA182
I'm probably just missing something here, but I can't get to my forum directory. I followed everything exactly as the tutorial states. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I figured it out. Thanks for the great tutorial!
nivinjoy
Actually i dont know much about phpBB..But i have managed to setup a forum hosted on http://www.freeforums.org as http://nivinjoy.freeforums.org.The forum i have set up has come ouit quiet well..What i want to ask is that is it possible to have this same forum to be hosted on my Direct Domain account..?
And if i am going in the way that you have suggested,that is downloading from phpBB site and all that...am i going to get the themes along with it.. like the charcoal2 theme of my forum hosted on freeforums.org.
And one more thing is that it will be of great help if you would clarify a bit more about the step 25.It is written "go to the install page now"..Please clarify more about this step please...
nivinjoy
Yes mann i have done that... At last i succeeded in the installation of forum...And now i want to install the Charcoal Template by Zarron media.What all steps are to be done to have that template installed..

Please anyone reply here or private message me which would me more helpful....
j14fusion14
Oh this is just what I was looking for thanks sooo much I needed this. Very Happy
Gushe
Mhh..
I followed every step (though i did it usen the cpanel, because I didn't find DirectAdmin .. :S)
But at step 25 I get stuck.. :S

I don't seem to be able opening my site..

my domain is www.gushe-webspace.frihost.net/forum

but I get this 404 error message... :S

1. what to do now? :S
2. where can I get this DirectAdmin thing.. and is it free..? Smile

Greetz,
Gushe
HalfBloodPrince
After filling in the details on the installation page and hitting submit...

Quote:
Warning: include(./../db/mysql4.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/halfbloo/public_html/forum/includes/db.php on line 35

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening './../db/mysql4.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/halfbloo/public_html/forum/includes/db.php on line 35

Fatal error: Class 'sql_db' not found in /home/halfbloo/public_html/forum/includes/db.php on line 60
anttimies
Thank you for that awsome tutorial. This really helped me Cool
yourtrips
Thanx, i gonne try it too. But still waiting on my host.
blacrobous
Instead of downloading the .tar.gz file u can download the zip file extract it on your desktop first and then rename the phpbb2 or 3 directory to forum.

Then upload it using an ftp software directly to your site .

after that in the address bar type www.yoursite.com/forum/install.php and then install the forum

After that delete the install and contrib directories

finish Very Happy Easy haan!!!!
IceCreamTruck
It's not possible to download the .tar.gz version of the new phpbb3. The result is that there is no longer an option to "extract" the files on the server. I changed the file name, and knew it wouldn't work, but wanted to see the "extract" option appear which it does. However, the file is not in gun zip format.

I will use FTP to upload, but wanted to let you know that this tutorial does not include the lastest version of the forums as they are using a different compression format now.

FYI!!
mariomaster
Very nice tutorial....

I knew all the stuff you mentioned, however, a n00b would extremely benefit from that information.

Thumbs up! Keep on posting! The more tutorials, the better!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile
silverdown
I didn't know you can upload the gzip version and extract right from the site.... I learned something else >Smile
forum-knxs
That was difficult to install phpbb on my host now with this tutorial I have no further difficulty.

Thanks bro
BlacknRaven
nice this is going to be very helpful
Relcone
Thanks you a lot men!
I have many things to learn here, iam trying to make a site
for me and my friends. Thnks you again!