FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu or Suse Linux?

bigdbag
Hi all. I am thinking about installing a copy of linux on to one of my pc's. Can people tell me of their experiences with Ubuntu and/or Suse? Those are the two that I have decided to pick from. Thanks
Bones
I really prefer Suse over Ubuntu. Suse gives you the choice of KDE or Gnome desktops, where Ubuntu is Gnome, or you can d/l Kubuntu for KDE.

Since I prefer a KDE desktop, I tried Kubuntu and it was nothing but a nightmare..Kubuntu doesnt even have PPoE internet connections working properly (read the forums)

I also personally think that Ubuntu is ugly as hell out of the box..I suppose you could twek it and change everything, but damn that brown desktop is fugly.

Many people swear by ubuntu, although I just swore at it. I found Suse was much easier to get up and running, it detected all of my hardware automatically, and was a breeze to set up. It also looks MUCH nicer. Not that looks are really that important.
manumiglani
well These two has their own benefits..... it is easier to get ubuntu cd's from http://shipit.ubuntu.com ......... whereas you have to download suse and install it.... Suse has a great tool Yast which makes the process of installing software very easy...... As far as my experience with both are concerned.... my experience with suse wasn't that good..... It was not able to recognised my monitor and only worked on higher screen resolutions.....
LethcanAernis
Why is there so much Linux posts under SOFTWARE and not the OS Thread? Ubuntu and SuSE is distrubtions but I would call thgem more Operating Systems.. can someone move this thread? Smile

BTW: I prefer SuSE or now Novel Desktop Smile
Traveller
bigdbag wrote:
Hi all. I am thinking about installing a copy of linux on to one of my pc's. Can people tell me of their experiences with Ubuntu and/or Suse? Those are the two that I have decided to pick from. Thanks

The topic "Sticky: I want to get Linux, Which one is best?" already exists. Please continue this discussion there.

-close-