FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

RealPlayer or Windows Media?

Which type do you prefer?
Real Player/RMVB
16%
 16%  [ 9 ]
Windows Media Player/WMV
40%
 40%  [ 22 ]
Neither/Both
43%
 43%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 55

Greaterfire
If you download your subs which type do you download? Do you like RMVB because they take up less space or WMV because they usually have better quality? Or do you do a mix of both type, because you take whatever you can find.

I personally like WMV better because of better quality, but they are hard to find. I have most of my Naruto downloads in that format, but some are RVMB. I don't like those because of the low quality and the bugs on the screen.
ItsWesley
I never use either of those formats, I usually download avi files and play them with VLC media player.
urbanbuddha
neither!!!

I never liked any Real formats since the real media era, .rm. As well some new .wmv has DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection which requires the internet once in a while to confirm you are the original purchaser of the media.

Personally I like h.264 which is more compressed them rmvb at certain resolutions.

Otherwise, I still like my .avi, .mpg, .mp4 and sometimes .mkv
Hojo
i mostly take whatever i can get, but preferably a format my dvd player can play. i prefer watching stuff on tv cause i can sit down in my 'chillersessel'. dont quite know how to translate that into english (closest thing i could find was arm chair, dunno how much that fits though), but its a whole lot more comfortable than chair i sit on when using my computer.
-C4-
I watch my anime online but I would normaly watch it on VLC if I had it on my computer.
Scaramanga
urbanbuddha wrote:
neither!!!

I never liked any Real formats since the real media era, .rm. As well some new .wmv has DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection which requires the internet once in a while to confirm you are the original purchaser of the media.

Personally I like h.264 which is more compressed them rmvb at certain resolutions.

Yeah I'm with Urbanbuddha here. Both are pretty crappy and borked formats. I'm starting to like h.264, but I'm still a bigger fan of Matroska (mkv) and ogg/ogm Ogg Vorbis files (the latter because some subbers will make switchable sub streams, so I can turn OFF the subs.)
Nintendo
heh, neither. i watch mine over crappy youtube. Razz. i have a harddrive capacity of 19 GB, so im pretty much screwed to DL them Very Happy. Plus with my 3GB download a month crap, im not a very happy person Very Happy.
driftingfe3s
Scaramanga wrote:
urbanbuddha wrote:
neither!!!

Yeah I'm with Urbanbuddha here. Both are pretty crappy and borked formats. I'm starting to like h.264, but I'm still a bigger fan of Matroska (mkv) and ogg/ogm Ogg Vorbis files (the latter because some subbers will make switchable sub streams, so I can turn OFF the subs.)

Actually the mkv format is just a file wrapper, so a file can have the mkv extension and have the video encoded in somehting like h.264 and have the audio in ACC or OGG. But yeah I like h.264. Sure it uses more CPU power but the file size is smaller to a video encoded in something like xvid of the same quality.
xframe
I use VLC player!!!! best for dual audio and easy sub options.
QrafTee
Greaterfire wrote:
If you download your subs which type do you download? Do you like RMVB because they take up less space or WMV because they usually have better quality? Or do you do a mix of both type, because you take whatever you can find.

I personally like WMV better because of better quality, but they are hard to find. I have most of my Naruto downloads in that format, but some are RVMB. I don't like those because of the low quality and the bugs on the screen.

I download in .avi format (sometimes .vob), and I usually watch it on Windows Media Player (beta version), but sometimes I watch it on Media Player (old WMP skin, tweeked), or ZoomPlayer. I used to use BS Player until I found out they wanted you to join some cult (or something) to get the player, which I believe is BS. (please excuse the pun)
crimson_aria
I play files using windows media player often than realplayer. But, I use VLC player most of the time. It's more comfortable to use.
GProject
I end up getting a lot of MPEG4 encoded stuff (.mkv seems to be getting more & more popular for anime). However, in your poll I prefer .wmv to the realmedia stuff. I've seen some great HQ .wmv videos, and the file size isn't that large.
Kurosaki-Ichigo
Well i download in RMVB format. But it doesnt have a difference for me since i have a 10MB internet. I download in AVI sometimes too.
iamwoowill
As a not so fast internet user, I think RMVB is a pretty good format, so naturally I use Real player. I really can't find any flaws with it, it's been pretty good.
ddukki
Real Player formats are really the only types I can find. Youtube quality is horrible, but it gets the anime to me, so I can't complain.
eku53ru
I get a mix of RMVBs and AVIs, and it seems like most Chinese fansubbing groups will use RMVBs over anything else. I'm a bit cheesed at the bits of quality lost here and there, but the space-saving part of it is awesome; if I want to watch something in better quality, then I get better version whenever it's released.
urbanbuddha
neither!

I would much rather use h264 encodes than either format.

If I had to choose between the two I would use windows media .avi files cause of Divx/Xvid is much more superior than Real Media.

I've always hated Real Media and how they package their software. If I need to use their format as a last resort, I turn to use RealAlternative and play it using VLC or Windows Media Player Classic
TonkPilz
I usually use Windows Media Player classic or Vlc.

I like Windows Media Player classic better than VLc for one reason vlc's interface is well stupid it works but its stupid and so far i haven't found a skin that fixes the issues i have whit it. but vlc is one of the best players for one reason it plays almost any vid whiteout any extra codex even if it will mess up some soft subs
Rebzie
I normally use ai files if i can get them. I tend to like best quality i can get when i download it helps i have a relatively fast connection and a 15gb limit.
Etcetera
I use the itunes player because it's so organized and I'm a freak for that kind of stuff. All the soundtracks having cover art and having some sort of little flipbook of soundtracks is so nice. Not to mention it can play most audio files without a problem and movies and all that good stuff. Realplayer errors for me and WMP is much too overproduced. Then again I guess itunes is a little too fancy too..
raymonbunt
WMP because it's faster. and WMP 11 is better cooler and betterlooking
yy1124
RMVB version....

The place I visit for seeds only provide RMVB and AVI, I go for RMVB because it is smaller in size
soulman
Both is good but I prefer RMVB version... just because get used to it...
roberpro
Hi, in my opinion i prefer Winamp its a good program where you can do lot of things with plugins and other staffs.
ashok
I use the itunes player because it's so organized. All the soundtracks having cover art and having some sort of little flipbook of soundtracks is so nice. Not to mention it can play most audio files without a problem and movies and all that good stuff. Realplayer errors for me and WMP is much too overproduced. Then again I guess itunes is a little too fancy too.. but these days i'm liking that DivX
animassacre
XVID still dominats. For my it's for sure -XVID is the staff.
I can't play RM or WM on my DVD player(with DivX/Xvid).
And all my encodes (for AMVs and other staff) all gos into XVid .
It's a qustion of popularity too ,isn't it? And same of them have a lot of s**ts in there history.
xframe
vlc player owns all
SGbilder
i agree! VLC rules them both but that isnt thet much of a surptise since most microsoft originals suck big time... only advantage is that thet come with the computer... and if there was another os for a PC that was that widespread i wouldent hesitate... but then again if there was mr Gates would have to try harder to keep his billions rolling in... he doesnt need to now so why would he care that his programs suck...
Raijenki
Neither.
RMVB sucks, it uses the Real Codec 10, that is like x264, but sucked.

I usually download AVI (Audio-Video Interleaved) files with XviD Codec and LameMP3 audio.
Some fansubs offer Matroska (MKV) or MPEG-4 (MP4) containers using the h264 video codec combined with AAC audio. The compression and qualit is a lot better.

RMVB (Real Media Variable Bitrates) was maiden for low sizes, but not for high quality.
urbanbuddha
don't use any real media players, if you must use real media files, you should just get the "real alternative" video codec. =)
vanSetiawan
I prefer to use Windows Media...then I think WM is better than Real Player...
vanSetiawan
I prefer to use Windows Media...then I think WM is better than Real Player...
kyang91
if i have to i use windows media player. i think i tunes is better but i hate the codec it converts it into.
lordfrikk
I got my BLEACH episodes in RM, because I thought that the quality is not that much worse, but I downloaded 170mb avi once because I couldn't find that episode in RM and maaan... realized how many details are missing... duh Crying or Very sad

From now on I only download anime in best quality offered... that means usually AVI for animes like BLEACH and Naruto, MKV or h264 for movies (Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror Of Shamballa)... other formats usually aren't that good...
NeoValkyrion
If you download your subtitles separately, then I would suggest downloading Media Player Classic. It's far more flexible than any of the basic media players released in terms of subtitles and dubbing.

However, out of RM and WM, Windows Media Player is definitely a much better one to go with.
carlokes
I dont use neither RP now WMP

I use ZoomPlayer that, in my opinion is the best media player around. Its super configurable and compatible with almost every codec around. Actually i still haven't found a media file that i cannot read using Zoom. I use the version that comes with CCCP Pack (recomended for everyone that loves to watch anime in the computer).

In the past I used BSPlayer which i liked a lot but it had some compability problems so I changed to Zoom. Since Zoom is very configurable, I made the commands exactly like BSPlayer.

Can't stop loving Zoom lolololololololol

Stay Cool
shwetanshu
none of them, mp4, mpeg and avi files are good enuf for me!!
odinsrealm
i personally hate realplayer with a vengence i find it bloaty laggy and its like a plague for taking over if your not careful during installation, also it likes to install other rubbish by default and has communication links setup as active by default

i usually use powerdvd/vlc/media player classic which covers all my needs
tsukiyuuki
I don't use either, if I can help it. I normally use Winamp, but sometimes will use Zoom if there are switchable sub streams. Except with Now and Then, Here and There, because it refused to play with subs in anything other than WMP.

carlokes wrote:

I use ZoomPlayer that, in my opinion is the best media player around. Its super configurable and compatible with almost every codec around. Actually i still haven't found a media file that i cannot read using Zoom. I use the version that comes with CCCP Pack (recomended for everyone that loves to watch anime in the computer).

See, now, I actually downloaded a series (NTHT) that used different codecs than CCCP supported - I had to go online and hunt up Morgan for it to play, and even then I could ONLY turn the subs on in WMP, which made me angry. Zoom couldn't pick up the sub files.
Tidus2100
I think VCL is the best player. It plays every format.
tsukiyuuki
Tidus2100 wrote:

See, I had big problems with that player, and it didn't want to play everything, so I ditched it.
Dark_Tiger
tsukiyuuki wrote:
Tidus2100 wrote:

See, I had big problems with that player, and it didn't want to play everything, so I ditched it.

I hate the way VLC handles playlists, volume, and full screen. That said, I keep it on my computer, mainly because I can't keep up with all the codecs and whatever its failings, VLC DOES play anything.
tsukiyuuki
For me, between Winamp and Zoom Player, I can play any file and NOT be annoyed by how it handles things like playlists.
stacho
I hate “Real Player”, that am somehow stupid: D
“Windows Media Player” is actually whole correct.
Best I find “Quick Time Player” and “Winamp”

This text was translated by Google. Razz
bond4154
I mostly use Windows Media Player with a DivX codec installed from DivX (www.divx.com). It works wonders with no hassles, and most of the anime I watch come in AVI format with DivX encoding anyways.
tsukiyuuki
bond4154 wrote:
I mostly use Windows Media Player with a DivX codec installed from DivX (www.divx.com). It works wonders with no hassles, and most of the anime I watch come in AVI format with DivX encoding anyways.

Formats like MKV and OGM are getting more popular, now, though. WMP will only play them if you have the right codecs, and even then only sometimes. That's why I use a combination of Winamp and Zoom Player.
Dozetsu
Real used more memory.
animassacre
What is this topic about ??
About which player is better or about which codec is better?
Some post are not related.
KoiboySG1
I always use Windows Media Player. Also using winamp.
tsukiyuuki
Winamp is god!

Also: I love your icon.
x0x0
i download the avis simply because i'd like to make music videos out of them. i used to use rmvbs back then 'coz of low disk space as well as slow internet connection. it used to take me 2 hours to download an 35mb naruto rmvb, and that's the only reason why i used real players.

but right now, i'm loving windows media player especially the latest version (11) and you can almost play anything provided that you have the right codecs.
tsukiyuuki
AVI is also one of the most common formats for fansubbed and raw anime downloads. Matroska and Ogg-Vorbis are getting more popular, though.
votd
Okay, so here's a little explanation of my opinion.

I like RMVB, but it goes for long series (as Naruto). I just don't have time to download it all in AVIs.

But RMVB sux. Why?

You all think that RMVB is cool and all that, but you can do the same in XviD or DivX. You don't believe me? It's just a combination of smoothing filters. And RMVB sometimes look like shit. And sometimes it doesn't have constant frame rate. You don't see macroblocking, but you see some smoothed shit that you can't even watch sometimes.

And WMV? WMV is almost the same, but better than RMVB. WMV is the best for anime RAWs (copies with no subtitles, just the clean video without any marks or something). WMV needs a good VBR-method to compress it succesful, and needs more MB than AVI to keep good quality.

Why fansub groups use WMV9 raws? Because it's already filtered, so it can be compressed so it's 175mb not 300mb. But again - you could ask - why don't they release it in WMV9 with fansubs? Because it's too much filtered and have too large size. Simple. But WMV9 raw looks better than AVI (because you don't choose filters - codec choose it for itself).

So I prefer AVIs/MKVs for short animes (and for that I have a good torrent source), and RMVB for long animes (RMVB really really SUX because you can't encode it back to normal formats properly - audio desynch, video crapping and all that problems drive me mad!)
x0x0
^ interesting... and what's so great about mkv and mp4? and i noticed that some anime sites started to encode in mkv and mp4 nowadays. most encoded mkv and mp4 that i've found are have very low file size but with very good quality. there's also this site that offers mp4 with a file size of 45 mb yet with a very good quality, quality like the avis

do you have any idea how they did that?
tsukiyuuki
Though I've got some series that are encoded in *.mkv format, I actually haven't come across anything encoded in *.mp4... what titles are coming out that way now?
x0x0
bleach at bleachflame.com are encoded in mp4 format... see it for yourself

anyone knows how he tweaked the settings?
Esch
I use media player classic for everything, great program cuts out the bloat.

I use to use the K-lite codec pack but I still had playback problems with certain files with audio and/or video. I swtiched to the CCCP and all my videos work great.

I also use quicktime alternative and realmedia alternative to play those those type of files through media player classic.
tsukiyuuki
I, on the other hand, wad problems with CCCP, but I haven't had any since I switched to the full K-lite pack. Everything works on that pack, including stuff I downloaded from YouTube.
Dark_Tiger
My video program problems are more complicated because of my setup.

I have a TV connected as a second monitor. This is great, since I can surf and have AMVs or something play in the background. The problem is that Winamp is the only program that I've managed to maximize on the TV and stay maxed and on the TV when the next file on the playlist starts up, and even that required some playing with. Add to that the fact that I have yet to figure out how to get winamp to play .mkv or dual audio files, and you get my really big headache.
DaComboMan
My questions about Winamp...

Can it replace Windows Media Player and Real Player to view video clips from all web sites (like Youtube etc.)?

Is it more secure than WMP and RP?

What about Flash Player? Or is that another category?
tsukiyuuki
I can get videos that I download from YouTube to play in Winamp, but not Windows Media Player. I haven't managed to get EITHER of them to play *.mkv files, so I downloaded Media Player Classic, which will.
Seiji
I mainly use Windows Media Classic since it plays both rmbv files and mkv files. I also use BSPlayer a lot.
mansonivan
not this two. i using storm player for all media except mp3. winamp lite for mp3 and others are storm player which let me able to watch everything and import subtitles for sources. I heard Kplayer also not bad but nvr try that.
xj975
Vlc and Windows player classic work great. (Real alternative codecs for real player stuff)

Never had any issues with running any video between these two, especially after grabbing community codec packs for audio.
blk3
RMvb is good for me because of the small compressed size, coz I get these files through downloading, Next will be avi because it plays on almost any player.
ddukki
I prefer the AVI format, but usually, all the direct downloads come out in RM format first.
burntwaffles
windows media player, always! (:
jasmine
Based from experience, I always had problems with RealPlayer.

So I often use Windows Media player to view files. Very Happy
mansonivan
well, i don like both. i m using storm player rite now. it can player all sort of codec and media files and it doesnt take time to load the program. It able to load subtitle as well. i recommend everyone using this software. Rolling Eyes
VodkaMartini
both of them and I'm using K-Lite Mega Codec Pack woohoo... Very Happy
shamy
I prefer windows media than real player ...
Qube
I wholly suggest getting the CCCP pack.
I've never run across something that I can't get going in Media Player Classic.
Personally I've never used VLC, so I can't say anything, but I've heard great things.
Until I run across something MPC can't play then I see no reason to switch.

As for encoding...
I prefer MKV w/ h.264 video, AAC audio and ASS/SSA subs.
Though just about any subs will do as I can feed them in w/ MPC.
It really is a great container, more ppl should use it.
The only downside is I can't burn like that.
I have to go through a whole mess just to get everything setup.
Now if only companies got wise and added MKV support...

Oh ya, OGM/OGG is a good one too.
Almost forgot about that one.
asnani04
I prefer Real player for videos and Windows Media player for audio. The latter choice is because WMP format is easily convertible and is usually supported in all the digital media devices that I commonly use - My Sony Walkman MP3 player, my Samsung Champ phone and my Sony Vaio with Windows 7 installed on it. Real player is a good choice for videos, as it is quite convenient. Smile
dude_xyx
I use VLC player. Almost all types of video files work with VLC player. But I was told Realplayer sound quality is better than most of other video players including VLC player.
inuyasha
Neither! I usually use KMPlayer and Media Player Classic. Very simple but powerful as long as you install decoders youself. There's a package of the 2 players and almost all the decoders for each video or audio format, Pure Codec. I started to use it 4 years ago. Very Happy
darthrevan
Yeah I am with many people hear, neither. I like VLC media player the most.
amadasady
en, i can accept this view, but not the fully

Buy Runescape Gold|Cheap Diablo 3 Gold|Cheap Guild Wars 2 Gold|RS Gold
sudipbanerjee
Both has some good features.