You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Paradoxes can be so very interesting, so I thought It would be appropriate to start a little topic devoted to interesting paradoxes. For those who need a good explanation of a paradox, here is a wiki article on it:

Try to find paradoxes that are not listed here:

The paradox I have to share is one I read in a book called "Time". Here it is (self-explained):

You are a runner running a race. Now, to get to the finish line, you obviously must first reach the 50% mark. To reach the 50% mark, you must first reach the 25% mark. And so on. So, if for every point to reach there is another point you must reach first, how could the runner possibly run the race at all? One solution was that there could be such thing as a "minimum", which is a length so small it cannot be divided in half. However, if that was the case, the runner would pass the minimum in 0 time, meaning he would finish the race instantaneously. Then think of a race between a snail and light. Light travels at around 300,000 metres a second. A snail takes a few days to travel a kilometre. However, if the race is one minimum long, and both the snail and light start the race at the same time, who would win? They would both finish the race at the same time, despite the fact that light is hundreds of times faster.

Another paradox. A woman walks into a jewelery store. She see's 2 rings. A 100 dollar ring, and a 200 dollar ring. She decides to buy the 100 dollar thing. She gives the counter-guy 100 dollars, and takes the 100 dollar ring. She leaves the store. Later on, she returns, and said she'd actually like to return the 100 dollar ring and get the 200 dollar ring. She gives the counter-guy the 100 dollar ring, and receives the full 100 dollars back. She then demands the 200 dollar ring for 100 dollars. The counter-guy refuses, however she states "I have traded that ring for 100 dollars. So theoretically, I have already paid 100 dollars of that 200 dollars, by giving you that 100 dollar ring. The 200 dollar ring should now only be 100 dollars, as I have given you a 100 dollar ring to pay towards it." She takes the ring and leaves the store.

Give us yours!
the 1st paradox is a big question in physics. because of the way particles behave on a microscopic scale and why newton and einstein's laws don't seem to be obeyed.

a narcoleptic insomniac. what causes this to happen? does he not sleep very much and so is tired he spontaneously falls asleep or does he fall asleep too much and isn't tired therefore he can't sleep?
The second so-called paradox is NOT a paradox. If you read it carefully you wil lsee that the lady got her $100 back when she gave the ring back to the shop.
The first paradox depends on time coming in discrete quanta.
My favoruite paradox is this one:
A prisoner is told on Sunday that he will be executed on a day during the next week but will not know in advance which day it will be. He reasons thus:
It cannot be on Saturday as if he is still alive on Friday night he will know that he msut be executed on the Saturday. Thus Friday is the latest day he can be executed. Therefore he knows that if he is still alive on Thursday night then it must be Friday when he is to be executed - again this means he WILL know in advance. Similarly he cannot be executed on Thursday, Wedenesday, Tuesday etc.!!
The first paradox you give is actually a philosophy that was first surmised by a man named Zeno, who said that he could prove motion couldn't happen with math. That's one of the great things about math/philosophy. They both constantly try to explain/dispute the other and it shows us just how wrong we probably are about it all.
If you read it carefully you wil lsee that the lady got her $100 back when she gave the ring back to the shop.
That's right, she traded the ring for her $100. That means, in theory, she'd paid the first 100 dollars of the 200 dollar ring by giving the counter guy a 100 dollar ring. Then, she gave 100 dollars to the counter guy, totalling 200 dollars (the 100 dollar ring and an extra 100 dollars).
No, that really doesn't make sense at all. He gave her the 100 dollars in exchange for the ring. In that way they're even.
Here's one for ya...

It is not necessarily true that averaging the averages of different populations gives the average of the combined population.

Weisstein, Eric W. "Simpson's Paradox." From MathWorld--A Wolfram Web Resource.
Here's a paradox for ya

This is not a paradox. ^^