FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Installing Ubuntu...

zjosie729
I'm going to install ubuntu on my computer, so I need to back up files first. It seems like there are a lot of tiny pieces of data that I should back up, but I can't think of any. All I can think of is all my files, internet bookmarks, firefox settings, and thunderbird email accounts and settings.

Any ideas what else I should back up?
nitesh
are you install Ubuntu over the windows installation in the same partition ?? If that's the case why don't you use another partition for installing ubuntu. anyway its always good to backup your browser, application settings or your private data whenever you install a new system.
ocalhoun
If at all possible, make a complete backup of everything, which will make things much easier if something goes wrong.
If not that, then I would suggest also doing a search for *.inf, and backing up all the results. That way, if you re-install windows, you won't have to look too hard for your drivers.
Kyoushu
Well, what are you trying to do? Replace you're current windows partition, or dual boot?
photon
if you are installing it as the second os, you need not backup anything... but make sure that you have a separate free partition at least 3gb in size, so that you will not have space constraints once you have installed it...
saurabh.sauron
i say u take a backup of the entire windows partition. if the installation is unsuccesfful, then u might end up with a blank disk. specially, ini files and the registry should be backed up...
AftershockVibe
Whichever way this guy wants to do it he will probably lose all of his windows partition because at the moment he will likely have all his disk space occupied by a windows NTFS volume.

If you change partitions you lose all the data. So yes, back up all of your important stuff before you do anything. Whether you windows installation is important is open to debate, I usually find that everything runs much more nicely on a fresh install though so wouldn't both with windows files or registry.
zjosie729
I made two new partitions for Ubuntu and windows still works perfectly
deathwingpnx
I use Windows XP, Fedora and Ubuntu. Ubuntu is my favorite OS because its fast, stable and most of all, its not just software, but software with a meaning and definite purpose, which is Humanity towards others. I currently use Ubuntu Dapper Drake with applications installed such as PHP, Apache, PostgreSQL (for my work) and Webmin among others.

I encourage everyone to use and promote opensource.