FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Allow searches by topic title only

CanadianGeek
I'm posting this to suggest that in addition to searching by the text of the body of a post alone, a user should be able to search based on the text in the title of threads alone, in the event that people want to search for whole topics rather than individual posts (ie, to see if a particular thread was devoted to a specific question).
Nameless
Yes good lord, YES! I also find this particular lack in the search engine incredibly frustrating when I want to post a topic, but aren't sure if such a topic has had a thread devoted to it or not before.
garionw
I think that the search engine in PHBB should be completely redo - maybe even in perl?
Fanghai44
lol yep the server should b redone
tidruG
I didn't completely understand what you're trying to say, sorry... could be a little more specific... perhaps with an example?
mOrpheuS
tidruG wrote:
I didn't completely understand what you're trying to say, sorry... could be a little more specific... perhaps with an example?

I think what CanadianGeek meant was ...

we have the two options :
"Search topic title and message text" and
"Search message text only"

But there is no option called "Search topic title only"
CanadianGeek
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I remember one time wanting to post something to see if a topic had been devoted to what I wanted to post, but there was no option to search just for the topics. So I searched the message text and I got like five thousand results, lol. In the end, I figured that I'd likely find what I was looking for if I weeded through them all long enough, but I just decided it was best not to post what I was thinking about posting (although I can't remember now what that was).