FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Low disk space

ncwdavid
Hey, I have a windows ME, 20 GB hd, 128mb RAM, Pentium 3. Everytime I am On the computer a stupid yellow box comes up from the bottom right of the screen saying low disk space and you have to click on it to make it go away but then it brings you to disk cleanup. It says I need at least 200mb free on my hd to ensure system reliability. I uninstalled all my games which was alot of memory and all the applications I didn't need but the next day the yellow box popped up again. Then I deleted more files and the memory was free for a while but if filled up again. I have run a scandisk and disk defragment and cleaned out all the cookies,internet history,temp internet files and everything like that but the problem still occurs. What could be wrong?
steveadams617
Wow. Sounds frustrating.

When you right click on the drive and choose properties, how much disk space does it say you have left?

Have you run a virus and/or spyware checker?

Are you running google desktop or some other program that indexes your hard drive and saves text automatically that might be filling up the drive?

Do you save alot of mp3's or pics on your computer?

Try doing a search for files larger than 20 megs and see what happens.
steveadams617
Try searching for files created in the last 3 days and see what you find. There could be something replicating and filling up your drive.
Jaan
Easiest would be to run a clean re-install of windows. If you cant be bothered to do that, look for a free registry cleaner, or file cleaner. I use window washer, or tuneup utilities (google 'em). that should fix it Razz
FunDa
Try checking if the disk space properties show almost full. I once had a virus (or worm) which just replicates and fills up every folder. Then my antivirus detects it and quarantines it. It cycled like this till the Quarantine folder filled up all the free space on the disk. Maybe reinstalling is a good idea. Check out the msconfig to see if there is any virus there.
S3nd K3ys
Quote:
What could be wrong?

Sounds like you ran out of disk space. HDD's are cheap, buy a new, bigger one. And quit surfing pr0n sites. Wink
tamilparks
Hellow you first please check the memory and then clean the unneeded files Removing unneeded files

when you are using Windwos 2000

When running a system as complex as Windows 2000 on your computer, you may not always know the significance of all the files on your computer. Sometimes Windows 2000 uses files for a specific operation and then retains them in a folder designated for temporary files. You may have previously installed Windows 2000 components that you are no longer using. For a variety of reasons, including running out of space on your hard drive, you may want to reduce the number of files on your disk, or create more free space, if it can be done without harming any of your programs.

Use the Windows 2000 Disk Cleanup wizard to perform all of the following tasks to clear space on your hard disk:

Remove temporary Internet files.
Remove any downloaded program files (ActiveX controls and Java applets downloaded from the Internet).
Empty the Recycle Bin.
Remove Windows 2000 temporary files.
Remove Windows 2000 components that you are not using.
Remove installed programs that you no longer use.
Note

To start Disk Cleanup, click Start, click Run, and then type cleanmgr.

if its also not clear then your system is covered with VIRUS ONLY so clean the virus or format the disk.................
slavak
IF you have FAT32 try to convert to NTFS Very Happy
andy26
i just recomend reinstalling your operating system as you may have a virus that is undeleteable without re-formating. if this problem still hapens after re-instaling your operating system you may want to consider buying a new hard drive as it is obverusly infected or damaged which will not be fixed by reinstaling your operating system.

also do a full format with ntfs if avilable a quick reformat will not clean any viruses but a full format is most likley to. also after reinstaling your operating system it may not be a good idea to try and restore deleted files from you hard drive. hope this helps you
Sunny
First thingyou should do in this situation is to find out if you are really out of space. Go to my computer, right click each drive and click properties and check the free space, if the space is low

- Are you using Norton Antivirus? Norton antivirus has a utility which saves all the deleted files for recovery, if so then you might have to clean the files from there as well.
nhuabo
I advise you to use Partition Magic,
it is a good software which can help you find back the hd room.
GProject
I recommend you go out and buy an external hard drive to store some of your files on. They're really cheap now and large in capacity (200GB-400GB) compared to your current hard drive. The message won't go away until you have at least 200MB spare space on your C:/ drive. Go to my computer and right click > properties on your C: drive to see how much space you've got left.
Bones
I agree with Sunny, the first step is to check the drives to see if they really are low on space before buying any new hardware.
Pikokola
Yeah check it out...
Ususaly filling 20Gigs is easy enough [I never recognize that I'cve already filling my 80gigs HDd in 1 month before a pop up window said that not enough free space to copy a movies XD

and try to check for a viruses...
nepalstar
ncwdavid wrote:
Hey, I have a windows ME, 20 GB hd, 128mb RAM, Pentium 3. Everytime I am On the computer a stupid yellow box comes up from the bottom right of the screen saying low disk space and you have to click on it to make it go away but then it brings you to disk cleanup. It says I need at least 200mb free on my hd to ensure system reliability. I uninstalled all my games which was alot of memory and all the applications I didn't need but the next day the yellow box popped up again. Then I deleted more files and the memory was free for a while but if filled up again. I have run a scandisk and disk defragment and cleaned out all the cookies,internet history,temp internet files and everything like that but the problem still occurs. What could be wrong?

Really interesting problem...
once I also got that same kind of problem. Firstly I tried by deleting some files but that's really don't work.. and then I suspect virus attack... so I totally formated my hard disk and install fresh new OS. amazingly that worked...! so I suggest you to format hard disk and install fresh new OS...

Thanks
sonam
GProject wrote:
I recommend you go out and buy an external hard drive to store some of your files on. They're really cheap now and large in capacity (200GB-400GB) compared to your current hard drive. The message won't go away until you have at least 200MB spare space on your C:/ drive. Go to my computer and right click > properties on your C: drive to see how much space you've got left.

Me too. Laughing
I have one old computer, too. More or less with same characteristic. I am bought external hard 500Gb, then make partitions on it, copied files on one partition, and on the end install fresh XP. Then I start to install softwares and all softwares what I can I am installed on external disc not on C: drive.

Because I have only one 1.1 USB interface I was bought Belkin usb hub with external power and everything together working perfect.

Sonam
portoskt
buy one more hard, and you will not have that probs anymore
azzie_bbz
OMG I HAVE THE SAME THING! It's really pissing me off! I bet even if I deleted everything I have saved, it'd still carry on saying disk full (OS) I have deleted sooo much and do disk clean up every half hour and it is soooo annoying! once i had like 200MB free from deleting stuff, I turn my laptop off, log back on the next day and what do you know? still says disk full free up some space. I have emptied recycle bin too. I don't want to have to get another hard drive replacement because a few months ago it broke and I lost EVERYTHING, all my files because I didn't have back up and had to start fresh with a new hard drive. I'm sooooo annoyed and don't know what to do! PLEASE HELP URGENTLY! Btw I have windows 7 incase you need to know?:-S
lightningleo
that post was of 2006 and the post above yours is 2011....
you should really upgrade your computer..
you are in 2012.. and this is the age of TB's (unless you have a netbook)
so.. consider my advice and buy a new hard drive of minimum 500 GB..
jdelfire
azzie_bbz wrote:
OMG I HAVE THE SAME THING! It's really pissing me off! I bet even if I deleted everything I have saved, it'd still carry on saying disk full (OS) I have deleted sooo much and do disk clean up every half hour and it is soooo annoying! once i had like 200MB free from deleting stuff, I turn my laptop off, log back on the next day and what do you know? still says disk full free up some space. I have emptied recycle bin too. I don't want to have to get another hard drive replacement because a few months ago it broke and I lost EVERYTHING, all my files because I didn't have back up and had to start fresh with a new hard drive. I'm sooooo annoyed and don't know what to do! PLEASE HELP URGENTLY! Btw I have windows 7 incase you need to know?:-S

Posted on Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:37 pm Post subject: Low disk space

1. Rather than reviving a 7 year old post I think it's best you start a new post.
2. Delete unnecessary files in safemode...
3. Install CCleaner you can get it from filehippo.com. Its very light - wont eat much of your resources
4. See if you can install a new antivirus system. do not rely on the one that you have that one is definitely compromise. better to uninstall the one that you have.