FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rollercoaster Tycoon And Rollercoaster Tycoon 2

Duck
I always liked Rollercoaster Tycoon, and I have played it many hours. When RCT2 was released I didn't buy it, because I didn't understand what was new. Later I bought it, and when I played it for a moment I still didn't get what was making RCT2 a total new game. There where only some minor changes, and some new attractions. It's more an expension of the original RCT. So, can anyone tell me what is really new in RCT2? The graphics are the same, most of the interface is the same, almost everything is the same.
LukeakaDanish
I honestly prefer RCT1 to RCT2 - because of the way that you unlock new maps by winning them...

And yeah...there isnt really anything new - appart from a scenario editor, and some really cool scenery editing tools (hold SHIFT to move an object in the vertical plane)

So you can do more realistic stuff...also a lot of the more jerky rides in RCT1 have been given a graphical update - now the trains have more positions so they move more smoothly.

Appart from that - absolutely nothing new! which sucks as i payed full price for the game anyway Sad

RCT3 was a letdown aswel - it just isnt very fun - its gone from being a serious game, to being a kiddy game IMHO...

(also it made my pc laggy Sad )
Duck
LukeakaDanish wrote:
I honestly prefer RCT1 to RCT2 - because of the way that you unlock new maps by winning them...

And yeah...there isnt really anything new - appart from a scenario editor, and some really cool scenery editing tools (hold SHIFT to move an object in the vertical plane)

So you can do more realistic stuff...also a lot of the more jerky rides in RCT1 have been given a graphical update - now the trains have more positions so they move more smoothly.

Appart from that - absolutely nothing new! which sucks as i payed full price for the game anyway Sad

RCT3 was a letdown aswel - it just isnt very fun - its gone from being a serious game, to being a kiddy game IMHO...

(also it made my pc laggy Sad )

Oh, yeah, I forgot the scenario editor. You might think RCT3 wasn't a good game, but it's a worthy sequel. RCT2 isn't. I think RCT3 is a nice game. 3D makes it a lot realistic, and you get the feeling more that you're running a park.
LukeakaDanish
Reasons why i think RCT3 sucks:

Roller Coaster Building is too easy - rides pretty much cant go to intense

The graphics look overly cartoonish - it seems even less realistic than RCT1

It reminds me of theme park world (DAMN, that is an awful game)

Guest have gone from being random to being VERY VERY stupid - at least in RCT 1 you could appreciate that they where meant to be random

It has numerous crash-bugs - i stopped playing it because it crashed to desktop or froze every couple of hours.

In RCT3 i dont feel that im running a park - i feel like im playing a game

In RCT1 i feel like im running a park! Very Happy
Moey
Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 just looks a little nicer I suppose. Other then that, there are a few new rides and shops and also an ATM Smile Smile

I played a demo for RCT3 and I did not like it at all. I thought the 3D was far more disorienting then the other Roller Coaster Tycoon games. I would never buy that game.
Juparis
Roller Coast Tycoon!
I loved that game--I spent sooo many hours on the original.
I would have to agree that the original had the advantage of winning your extra building areas. Though, I did enjoy the few changes they made with RCT2. Just for diversity, after getting sick of the first game, RCT2 was nice.

I never went near RCT3. It seemed they just wanted to jump onto the 3D bandwagon and (this part is a presumption, since I never actually played it) sacrificed some of the integrity of the gameplay--maybe that's why it seemed so childish? It certainly looked that way, from what I saw. I'll take the original 2D any day. Very Happy
ChaosMike
I would have to agree with Luke about the feeling of the game.

RCT1 does feel like you're running a park. I tend not to screw around with things and try to efficiently run the park to get more money and happiness. I guess I'm also a bit biased cause it's the original Smile

With 3, I'm just trying to build the craziest coaster, not really giving a damn about the park. I am glad, however, that they finally updated 3 to build underground( although still a bit buggy during the night)
Duck
Have you ever built water higher than the ground in RCT1? THat's just weird. And sometimes when you build a cool coaster, people find it too intense, but when you look at it, it's not so intense.
sgwreviews
RCT2 was not really a new game, but just a big patch.
They didn't change enough, they increased the heght of your coaster, so you could make them higher, but they would get too intense anyway.

RCT3 has more improvement, but I do have to say that the original game was the best of the 3.
bigdan
I love the Rollercoaster Tycoon games! Very Happy
hlavco
I'm a big fan of the first one, but I played the second at a friend's house. I appreciate being able to build your own settings for the park, because in the original it always annoyed me that certain rides weren't available at certain places. (C'mon, go-karts were the best!)

The second one may have seemed like a big patch, but at least you didn't need to own the first one to use it.
LukeakaDanish
Duck wrote:
Have you ever built water higher than the ground in RCT1? THat's just weird. And sometimes when you build a cool coaster, people find it too intense, but when you look at it, it's not so intense.

Water thing: Yes, its wierd, but there are things that are far more wierd fx flying objects (v easy to do)

Rollercoaster thing: No, i dont think thats true at all - it all depends how well you designed the coster - remember that there are too types of intense: 1 is the type which you get from many "inversions" and the other is from poor design - as many corners as pos. should be tilted, and corners should never be completed at too high speeds:

my recomendation for most coster types:

Tilted 3*3 corner: Max 60 mph
3*3 corner: Max 30-(35) mph
Tilted 2*2: Max 35 - (40) mph
2*2: Max 15 mph
loops: Around 37 mph at base
corkscrew: around 28 mph at base
sbend: max 40 mph
inline: Max 25 - (30) mph

Also costers should never go too quickly over hilltops or your vert. g's will screw things up.
exarkun
It doesn't matter even if you feel that it is not intense. It is the customer needs that we care Wink . However, I still don't understand what is the use of the guard. They just help to disperse the crowd in a crowded area, doesn't them? And the cleaners does a very slow job on sweeping the floor.
Hojo
much like others here i spent hours playing rollercoaster tycoon 1. i unlocked every park and had tons of fun playing. slowly i got better at building rollercoasters, which was nice.

i really dont see what was new about rollercoaster tycoon 2 though. before i bought it i decided to download the trail version. i installed it, and started the scenario, but i seriously didnt see any cool new changes. graphics were the same, most attractions were still from rollercoaster tycoon 1...

So in the end i didnt bother buying it. i also didnt buy rollercoaster tycoon 3, still play rollercoaster tycoon 1 nowadays every now and then however, its a really nice game.
LukeakaDanish
exarkun wrote:
It doesn't matter even if you feel that it is not intense. It is the customer needs that we care Wink . However, I still don't understand what is the use of the guard. They just help to disperse the crowd in a crowded area, doesn't them? And the cleaners does a very slow job on sweeping the floor.

Guards: Set them to patrol areas which are very prone to vandalism - they will stop it, which is good if you want your benches to work and a 999 park rating.

Cleaners: They dont need to be faster - you just need to stop them from cutting grass (srsly...there's no point), and set propper patrol areas - guest only throw up after very nauseaus (i cant spell that) rides - place these rides together so that you only have to patrol a couple in that area. There are also occasionally litterbins which need emptying - so make sure that you have one or two "freelance" ones...

Quote:
I always liked Rollercoaster Tycoon, and I have played it many hours. When RCT2 was released I didn't buy it, because I didn't understand what was new. Later I bought it, and when I played it for a moment I still didn't get what was making RCT2 a total new game. There where only some minor changes, and some new attractions. It's more an expension of the original RCT. So, can anyone tell me what is really new in RCT2? The graphics are the same, most of the interface is the same, almost everything is the same.

RCT2 changes (they are all minor): Much better themeing stuff...some new ride options (banked, hill corners are very useful) better ride graphics (you probably didnt notice, but RCT2 is more smooth), Scenario editor, RC builder - thats probably about it
xkobram
My mother used to play RCT1 realy much... My father used to unplug the computer because my mother played in night, but know she works, its better...
LukeakaDanish
xkobram wrote:
My mother used to play RCT1 realy much... My father used to unplug the computer because my mother played in night, but know she works, its better...

Haha...they should put that on the rct boxes

WARNING: DONT LET YOUR MOM PLAY THIS GAME OR YOU MAY RISK HER STEALING YOUR COMPUTER

OR

HASBRO INTERACTIVE TAKES NO RESPONCIBILITY FOR THE LOSS OF MOMS TO THIS PC GAME

Wink
xkobram
Hey man, its good idea, It was bad idea whowing her that game..
OsterhouseProductions
I like number 1 and 2, but number 3 is dumb. Its like a clone of sim coaster or whatever its called, and its not even fun.
xkobram
I think that number 3 is good, i realy like 3d camera and CoasterCam
Varo
I think roller coaster tycoon 2 was a let down as well. I perfer roller coaster tycoon 1 and have spent many hours playing it.
jkelly888
i feel that Roller coaster tycoon 2 was better than the first one because it included a scenario editor and the ability to move objects on a vertical plain. The Ability to lift objects has expanded the creative ability for scenarios by a great amount.
angelussum
RCT is fun. I think that RCT2 really keeps with the same idea - there are a few additions, but beyond that, I would just stick with what you have.
Maryndor
Well, I've always prefer the new version. Wink Heh, I dunno why most of you guys do not like the newest RCT, but hey it's fun too!!!
RCT2 Rulls, but I think that RCT3 have some things better than oldies versions.
xkobram
Well games are about fun and this is fun, good relaxation
wiggy
I thought that Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 was best because Roller Coaster Tycoon is a massive let down to me bearing in mind I have never played roller coaster Tycoon 1. Out of Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 and Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 I think Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 is my favourite.
TarsajumaClan
I loved number 1. spent an awful lot of time playing it.