FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IDE Bandwith

technology.sponge
IDE has 133MB's of bandwith whihc is more than suitable for optical drives and hard disks as most only ever go up to 22megs and 55 megs respectively.

However, is it true that when u have 2 devices (a dvd burner and a dvdrom) connected in master/slave on one cable, only 1 can transmit at a time? (My motherboard only has one IDE socket and i don't hav any spare pci sockets for a ide controller card)

Considering that bother drives only go up to max 22megs and hav 256kb and 2mb cache, will connecting them on the same cable affect performance?

[b]Added 21st/8/6:

Quote:
I have experienced this on every computer that I've done this with. I usually try to put my optical drive on the second controller with its own cable, as often as I can, as the performance really drops when both drives share the same controller. Its also a good idea to be sure that you use an 80-wire cable as well (ultra ATA instead of 40-wire ATA).

for clarification, did u connect a hard disk AND an optical drive? or was it 2 optical drives as i do know for certain that the optical bottlenecks the hdd.

also, i thought that hdd/optical drives had 40 pin conenctors? how can u plug an 80 pin cable into a 40 pin socket?
corey
Yes.

I have experienced this on every computer that I've done this with. I usually try to put my optical drive on the second controller with its own cable, as often as I can, as the performance really drops when both drives share the same controller. Its also a good idea to be sure that you use an 80-wire cable as well (ultra ATA instead of 40-wire ATA).
Donutey
1) It wont' effect performance with two optical drives on the same cable to any noticible degree, the drives have small caches (that you listed) that keep them fed with information all the time. However, if one drive is ATA/33 standard and the other is ATA/66 (not all drives are ATA/133) the cable will run at 33MB/s (this is why you never attach a hard drive with an optical drive on the same channel) Optical drives really can't physically transmit data that fast, and as you may have noticed this has limited optical drives adoption of SATA because they don't really need that speed (price/performance).
2) To use ATA/100 or ATA/133 you must use a 80 WIRE, 40 PIN cable under 18 inches. 40 of the wires are used to reduce EMI. As said before they usually have " Ultra ATA" or "80 wire" printed on them. (you can also just count the wires... Rolling Eyes ) Otherwise with a regular 40 Wire 40 pin cable it will be limited to reduced speeds.

Hope that helps.