FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wireless G Through two floors

Donutey
Wireless G Through two floors, second floor to basement

Is this possible? (I know the speed will be downgraded because of the distance, but I just want an Internet connection in the basement)

Thanks.
badai
i have 2 offices. both 4 stories, first building AP on 3rd floor, can access from ground floor. the other building we have to put the AP on 2nd floor because if we put on 3rd floor cannot access from ground floor. both cases also thru 2 floors.
steveadams617
Really depends on the constuction of the building and the equipment. Is the access point and the card in the computer made by the same manufacturer? If so, it's more likely. It will also depend where the access point and the other computer are placed in the basement. It might also depend on the weather and what you had for breakfast. I find that there are MANY variables when it comes to wireless and you never know until you try.

Sorry.
Donutey
Yea that's what I've heard Rolling Eyes . Well, at least I know it can be done. The house is mostly wooden so I'm guessing the probability of it working is pretty high. With the prices of cat 6 it wouldn't be that expensive to run cable, but I think it would involve too much effort on my part (i'm not transferring files etc or anything... I don't really need the bandwidth, although the reliability would be nice...)

Any suggestions for a good PCI wireless card?
badai
in my house, i just use ad hoc.
Jaan
Well, it depends on your router. If your current router doesn't work, get a new one if you really need it, or you can buy "extenders", which extend the range of you're network by about 100ft or something like that, but they cost about 150USD
cheers