FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SAMURAI CHAMPLOO!!!

shizoo
Alright, so I'm a complete anime and manga and manwha addict fan. Samurai Champloo is one of my fav. licensed anime. I sometime call it Samurai Shampoo *lol*

It's really about a girl who is finding this mysterious man who is her father who left her when she was little. I have no idea if she has a mother or not because it doesn't really say anything about her family. And so one day she found one smurai name (i forgot Razz it started with a M) later she found another samurai.. (Im just trying to spoil it not telling the summary) And together they went through many places untill she found her dad but the result is that she can't slap him!! (that's what she wanted in the first place) because he is now sick and ill. so then blah blah blah. Ya ya. I spoiled it a litle but hope you have fun watching this on youtube.. Cause it's absolutly funny!!! ^^

If you already watched it then just talk about it/..

[I'm not sure if anyone have this topic already though]
fireydeviant
Mugen and Jin(said "jean," at least in the adult swim version)?
justjess
Samurai Champloo is one of the strangest anime that I believe I've ever watched.

This isn't to say that I didn't like it, but it definitely took some getting used to. The art and animation were both gorgeous, and the animation especially was very fluid. I like the artist's style. The voice acting isn't bad, and the episodes where they have Americans are hillarious. Those alone are definitely enough to watch the original Japanese version, because hearing Japanese people do American accents in Japanese was the highlight of my week. That, and the fact that they did speak English (some of them very well, and some of them... tolerably), and when they did, there are little Japanese subtitles down at the bottom.

A lot of the jokes are comic gold, but sadly, even more are lame. Either the timing is wrong, they don't translate well, or they just aren't funny. The series definitely has its moments, though, and is worth watching if you make sure to not take it too seriously. Very Happy

... In my opinion, anyway.
rightclickscott
The whole idea behind Samurai Champloo was to become the next Cowboy Bebop, by being the polar opposite of what Cowboy Bebop was. While Bebop was about bounty hunters set in space, or Space Cowboys for fun, Champloo was about Samurai after the fuedal era of Japan. Bebop was set in the future, and Shamploo was set in the past. What they both have in common is the incorporation of the music to the animation, and the Rock/Jazz hybrid style worked well with Bebop, but it took me abit longer to get the feeling of Rap style to Champloo. It still fit well, but not as well as Bebop's Rock/Jazz hybrid. Some more common ground is the main character that doesn't give a damn, Spike in Bebop, and Mugen in Champloo. What's great about them is two things, they both have the same hair style, and they are both done by the same voice actor, Steve Blum. Some more common ground, they both followed the same idea of having their main characters always be hungry. Another similarity is their titles. Champloo is of course about Samurai, while Bebop is of course about Cowboys, but also, Bebop is mixing of Rock and Jazz, while Champloo is the mixing of beats to create Rap music. Champloo tried to top Bebop in the end, since Bebop had a 2 part ending, and Champloo had a 3 part ending, but it all still worked in the end. I'd say Champloo is a good successor to Cowboy Bebop, but it just didn't get the recognition that Bebop had. I'd highly suggest Champloo to anyone, and if you were a Bebop fan, then you'll love Samurai Champloo.
sky305
Samurai Champloo is a quite nice action anime and definitely a nice comedy!!
althought the story end quite fast, i still can enjoy the story and laugh till i am satisfied.
definitely a nice to watch anime...
NuStar
yea .. the show is pretty awesome .. just said it ending so darn quick .. It would be nice if it went back into production ..
GProject
NuStar wrote:
yea .. the show is pretty awesome .. just said it ending so darn quick .. It would be nice if it went back into production ..

Yeah but 26 episodes is only the same as Cowboy Bebop had before it ended. I've watched the first four episodes and I can't wait to see the rest - it looks like it's going to be a fantastic series.
2nProductions
Woot CHAMPLOO that anime is good, I'm gonna torrent the whole series.
Winterborne
Yeah that Anime is awesome! we started collecting it a while ago, though we have been on a tight budget lately. can't wait to get the rest!
clip
truly great! action packed! and i never seen better anime fighting scenes than on this anime! truly one splendid piece of work! unfortunately, it only has a few episodes. Sad
carlokes
Hi guys,

I've seen this anime some time ago and i must say that i truly love when modern themes are mixed in old themed anime (for instance Samurai Era with breakdancing). The music of the anime is fantastic, for the ones that like the genre.

I truly recommend everyone to watch this anime. Awesome scenes of action and a great story filled with hack and slash.
urbanbuddha
From the creator of Cowboy Bebop, How can I NOT watch it?

Anyways, Samurai Champloo is a hit or miss with a lot of anime fans as it is not the traditional samurai genre. Though, who wants to watch those dime a dozen stereotypical type of genre animes anyways?

I love how there's a fusion of the hip-hop, breakdance, graffiti and any other urban (sub-)cultures with the Japanese Samurai era.
Dragonfly-online
I havent really seen much of it, but from what i have, its a pretty good show with great story, writing, and animation. Its Pretty cool in general
silentdae
Ahh i forgot all about Samurai Champloo. One of my favorites for sure! The ending was pretty crappy though, not very fulfilling.
driftingfe3s
silentdae wrote:
Ahh i forgot all about Samurai Champloo. One of my favorites for sure! The ending was pretty crappy though, not very fulfilling.

I agree. I enjoyed watching it but I was dissapointed in how it ended. Still it was pretty good.
Darkfall
Samurai Champloo's ending was left open, for a reason. One day I feel a sequel coming along, and it would be great as it had a perfect ending for it.

As someone said about, the animation is fluid and the art is gorgeous, which takes its roots from Cowboy Bebop, and most of the voice cast are the same for both versions, having the same voice actor for Mugen as they have for Spike.
rightclickscott
Darkfall wrote:
Samurai Champloo's ending was left open, for a reason. One day I feel a sequel coming along, and it would be great as it had a perfect ending for it.

I think I heard somewhere on the grapevine that there is going to be a Champloo movie.
Etcetera
I only watched up until the diary episode, because Adult Swim went back to the first episode after that and I lost interest. Some of the parts of the anime were insanely beautiful (like the first melody in the ending theme) and some of the calligraphy and old japanese style art, but the rapping part in it threw me off. I think it would've been better without that little easter egg, but who knows. Just me.
kamoe_x
rightclickscott wrote:
Darkfall wrote:

I think I heard somewhere on the grapevine that there is going to be a Champloo movie.

Its good for you that u've seen it.... ;(

Oh really!?!
There's a movie?
Ruckus
sky305 wrote:
Samurai Champloo is a quite nice action anime and definitely a nice comedy!!
althought the story end quite fast, i still can enjoy the story and laugh till i am satisfied.
definitely a nice to watch anime...

I Agree I love Samurai Champloo just for the quirky comedy.
But the story is kind of intriguing too.
I loved watching it on Adult Swim.

It's not shown any more is it?

It's a shame because it was a great series.
ddukki
Definitely one of the best Animes out there. The music combined with the action just makes it an original in itself. Haven't really read the manga at all, so I can't comment on that, but I absolutely recommend this as an intro to anime.
rightclickscott
kamoe_x wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:
Darkfall wrote:

Its good for you that u've seen it.... ;(

Oh really!?!
There's a movie?

I said I heard there was going to be a movie, not that I already watched it. It's only a rumor. But it is highly likely.

Ruckus wrote:
I Agree I love Samurai Champloo just for the quirky comedy.
But the story is kind of intriguing too.
I loved watching it on Adult Swim.

It's not shown any more is it?

It's a shame because it was a great series.

It's still being shown Saturdays at 1 AM.
RageArtworks
Fuu did say something about her mother. She died when she was 15/16 (can't remember).
But yeah it's a good anime. Some bits of animation were... off, I don't know. A bit too wobbly and stuff. I'll never forget one shot of Fuu talking and here face was moving all over the place, her face was seemed to be disconnected from her head. From that moment on I started seeing the importance of cleaning up my animation. Razz

I've never seen Bebop. Is it LIKE Samurai Champloo in any way, as opposed to being the exact opposite?
germy7
I love this series! The animation as well as the music are both very nice! ^^
It's refreshing to see animation like this.
Tatsumaru
I've seen the first 10 episodes I think, still have the rest to watch. It's definitely a refreshing anime, because a lot of stuff in it is different compared to other anime (like the music). So far I don't think the plot is that interesting, and I'm not like 'oooh I want to see the next episode badly!' - I just watch it in a slow and relaxed pace haha. I hope the story will get more exciting soon though!
kosecc
Oh, that show was the best anime I've seen in a while. I actually felt disappointed with death-note after watching it, what with the anti climactic ending and all... I loved samcham's art, the story was interesting, and the music... let's just say I bought all the OST's online. The last episode was a bit happy and sad to me, I mean, why couldn't they all stick together, a=fter all, they kinda went through hell, and with foo's dad getting killed by that guy who liked gardening and stuff (I have to admit, his skills seemed almost as impressive as Jin's) and the action in that show aswell. Superb!!! I would watch that series again, but I lost the DVDs Sad. Who loved the episodes with the blind lady? I loved the part when the old guy said he was Musashi Miyamoto. That slayed me XD.
urbanbuddha
kosecc, you should put a spoiler alert on your post Evil or Very Mad

But I agree, I loved the MM part... oh how samurai champloo distorted my image of musashi since I read Inuoe Takehiko's Vagabond manga and read Musashi's "book".

As for the movie coming, I would be on the fence. Since like I mentioned, it is created by Cowboy Bebop's creator and after that series ended there was a movie. So we can only hope that they are busily working on a movie, or a mini-OVA series.
votd
Samurai Champloo definitely rocks. There's an very interesting story, animation and such. Also music is rather in hip-hop style, but it isn't bad. I love the opening, ending and "A thousand way of drum" - the masters! Well I haven't watched it fully yet, but I just love the orginal story and a big palette of characters.
auldwyrm
This has to one of my all time favorite shows. it had me hooked from the start and I was kind of sad when it ended.
Seiji
The episode where Jin meets up with that Geisha will always be my favorite episode. I remember I watched the first half of Samurai Champloo on Adult Swim then the rest subbed. It sucked that such a good anime had to come to an ending. Even though the show was about Fuu finding the samurai who smelled of sunflowers the other happenings were enjoyable too.
war3brasil
BEST ANIME EVER!!!!

If you liked it, u will enjoy Afro Samurai. Smile 26 episodes too, pure action
votd
Good anime. I love that music. Although it's mostly hip-hop (which I hate), I'm actually enjoying it - it's because the anime plot and action is so great, that I can't stop enjoying it at every step. I haven't watched the full series yet, nor I'm near it, but I think it's just great. The idea isn't really fresh, but if you add that FEELING to it, it's just superb!

And there are DVD Releases in my country (Poland) so it just proves it...
gemara
votd wrote:
Good anime. I love that music. Although it's mostly hip-hop (which I hate), I'm actually enjoying it - it's because the anime plot and action is so great, that I can't stop enjoying it at every step. I haven't watched the full series yet, nor I'm near it, but I think it's just great. The idea isn't really fresh, but if you add that FEELING to it, it's just superb!

And there are DVD Releases in my country (Poland) so it just proves it...

Yes, You are right, I like to, it same to be the best combination of new age (not the music, i mean our time culture) and the old japan.

I have not seen all the anime too, but I hope to do it soon.
Treytwo
I hope they make a prequel about Mugen's life if they continue it
jigoku05
Really good anime! My only gripe is Fuu and Mugen did not ended together.