FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Comments about this forum and how we can improve it

datter
I realize this will be deleted or locked, but I thought I'd give it a shot regardless. If this costs me my account here, so be it... though I hope that doesn't happen.

The following exchange comes from the chewing gum vs breath mint thread, which can be found here. These are excerpts mind you, read the entire thread if you feel the need to. I present this here strictly to provide background for my comments below.

From a mod commenting about why that comparison type thread had not been closed like so many others;

Quote:
we allow topics that incite coversation, alot of that involves comparisons, it's only when it is , forgive me here, dumb that the topic get's closed.

My response;

Quote:
... because there's nothing more intelligent than a discussion comparing chewing gum to breath mints.

Which brought forth the following comment from a mod;

Quote:

Lighten up will you please. If you don't like a particular topic, you are free to not comment, or (god forbid), bypass the topic altogether.

BTW...I don't see you inciting anything worth conversation....don't throw stones. The topic will remain open.

So with that background, let me just get to the point here.

Lighten up indeed. If Frihost users don't like a particular topic we're told to bypass it and just not comment, but if a mod doesn't like a given topic... it gets closed. Hence, we (the people, such as it is) do not get the opportunity to bypass certain topics, because someone else has already made the decision to lock it down.

Something doesn't feel right there.

Again, I'm aware this will likely get deleted and I may well get banned, but I hope not. I like this site, I like the idea behind it and I like the service it provides. What I don't care for is heavy handed moderating, especially if it's applied unevenly. It is the very people you are restricting and making decisions for, who provide you with the reason for having this site in the first place.

The site belongs to the owners of course, but the community behind that site owns itself... and except in situations where moderation is required, that community should be allowed to take care of itself and grow into whatever it will. Freedom of speech, freedom to post as they like without big brother deciding in advance that a given topic is good or bad.

You're trying to grow a community of people here, and I'd highly recommend you let that community grow as it will. You, as owner/moderator plant the seed and nuture the community as it grows... as opposed to planting the seed, and beating the plants sensless... forcing them to grow how YOU want, and not as they would naturally. I've admin'd and moderated a lot of forums and sites over the years (yes, I'm "old") and am only speaking from experience.

Again, I like this site and the idea behind it and I offer the above in the interests of education and in making this forum a better, and more open community that people actually want to contribute to, rather an as a place people feel they must take part in.

I hope this is taken in the spirit it was intended.

Thanks,
datter
Josso
I personally agree with all the mods decisions to close threads, they are usually for a specific reason like the wrong section, discussed before or just plain stupid (anyone with common sense can see it, kind of thing).

This should have been in suggestions section but I doubt anything more than locking will happen don't worry Laughing. You have a valid point though, maybe someone could move this for us if you beleive it is worth discussing?
datter
I do think it's worth discussing, and thanks for your comments. I put it in general because I felt it might garner a bit more comments here and allow everyone to put in their two cents, whereas in suggestions it might have been more easily overlooked.

If it needs to be moved, thats fine... or locked/deleted as the mods see fit. Glad it's being taken in the right spirit so far anyway.

datter
mathiaus
Mods act not upon their personal feelings to a topic but their moderator feeling toward a topic which is based on how the topic follows the rules.
As for freedom of speach and/or posting, they do, so long as they do so within the rules and it the cases where they don't that they are locked.

You won't get banned for having an opinion, speciallif you express it in such a way. If you were to start spamming and flaming the mods for it, then you would might be banned Smile
datter
Thanks for your comments. I have no interest in spamming or flaming anyone, especially mods as I know first hand what a thankless task that can be.

I appreciate everyones efforts in keeping this forum running smoothly of course. Whereas I may have had pause to consider the mods intentions and actions in the past, having thought about what you said I'm now inclined to wonder about the rules themselves. That said, I'm glad this thread is left open for future discussion.

I won't beat a dead horse, and thanks to anyone who gave my opinions some consideration.

datter
CompactHaven
People should use the correct forums.

Current examples of posts that should be in the politics section are:
SHOULD MARIJUANA BE LEGAL?
Indian Charity
What's great about your country?
The 9/11 truth
At what age can you let your (sic) child loose on the Internet?
Is it just me or is the world being taken over by stupid people? (ironic)
School all year long

Perhaps following posts are political as well:
Beating your kid
Video games being bad
If everyone was the same race, and there was no religion
HoboPelican
CompactHaven wrote:
People should use the correct forums.

Current examples of posts that should be in the politics section are:
SHOULD MARIJUANA BE LEGAL?
Indian Charity
What's great about your country?
The 9/11 truth
At what age can you let your (sic) child loose on the Internet?
Is it just me or is the world being taken over by stupid people? (ironic)
School all year long

Perhaps following posts are political as well:
Beating your kid
Video games being bad
If everyone was the same race, and there was no religion

Well, I respect your feelings on those, but I think most of those are debatable.
The marijauna discussion ranges through science, legalities, religion (beliefs), etc. Same with 9/11. What's great about your country is only about pollitics in a very minor sense. Most folks are talking about weather, girls and food.

I my mind all those belong in general chat because they don't specifically relate to politics.
CanadianGeek
I've used some other forums in the past. Some of them had great mods that would never close a thread regardless of their feelings on it, unless the thread violated the rules of the forum.

I've also seen the other extreme. There was one forum I was on in which someone got angry with me over a post I made. This person complained to the admin and was made a moderator.... so yeah, I didn't stay at that forum any longer.

In my opinion, frihost seems to be more towards the former than the latter. But I haven't been that active or here that long, and I haven't seen that many threads get closed. Although I noticed that this one wasn't closed or even moved over to suggestions, even though the word "comment" appears in the subject.
HoboPelican
CanadianGeek wrote:
In my opinion, frihost seems to be more towards the former than the latter. But I haven't been that active or here that long, and I haven't seen that many threads get closed. Although I noticed that this one wasn't closed or even moved over to suggestions, even though the word "comment" appears in the subject.

Well, I'm the newest mod here, but since this topic is very general and not just a single suggestion, it seems like it's in a good place.

I think it's a good way to discuss possible improvements before actually submitting it for consideration. Just keep it positive. Laughing
CanadianGeek
Hmm, that's fairly good reasoning. I never really thought of that. I was kind of surprised that the thread wasn't moved.

Overall, Frihost is pretty good, as are it's moderators/administrators. My only complaint is that it's huge, lol. I get lost here. I walk away from frihost for 12 hours and bang, I'm behind on the times. But with that many people using it, it has to say something positive about Frihost.
SFMeatwad
I like it just fine. New topics and everything about every minute; and seeing how I am learning Spanish, I can express my skills in the Spanish area. Smile