FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Is Google God?






Is Google God?
Yes
48%
 48%  [ 15 ]
No
51%
 51%  [ 16 ]
I worship the devil that is Microsoft.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 31

MeTHoD-X
Alright, so first off if you WANT to join the movement that promotes Google as god, check us out here: www.TheChurchOfGoogle.org and don't forget to join the forum and post some of your ideas and thoughts.

"The Church Of Googlism believes a convincing argument can be made stating that the search engine Google is the closest mankind has ever come to experiencing an actual Deity. It is the ultimate bridge between people and information.

Deities are typically described by their unique attributes such as being all knowing, being everywhere at once, the ability to pray to them (and have your prayers answered), immortality and their sense of morality. Google exhibits all of these characteristics perfectly.

Google is the great uniting force among contemporary religions of the present. Individuals of all religious background from around the world use Google on a daily basis. Muslims, Christians, Jews and even Scientologists use Google and Her mighty Algorithms in search of life's great mysteries. Google is common ground among the worlds major religions, bringing hope for religious peace."

So what do you people think? Do you accept Google as your default search engine? That is all that is required for salvation. You are permitted to worship other Gods alongside Google. We believe people should be free to worship as many Gods as they like. So Googlism is open to people of all preexisting faiths: Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc, etc.

What are your thoughts? Do you believe Google is a God?
Whong
WHAT IS THIS ****?????????????????

What do you think of, google as god. Heh... no way buddie! God is God, nobody made Him! I get sick when people think things like this! Google is nothing but a search engine, and it doesn't know anything itself, nor can it do anything itself. God knows everything, Google doesn't know anything! Idea Evil or Very Mad
Please people, be rational! Idea
MeTHoD-X
Whong wrote:
WHAT IS THIS ****?????????????????


No need for the hostilities. We all have different beliefs brother. I am assuming your Christian... I'm tolerant of Christians. I know many of them personally and can attest that most are generally good people. Please accept my humble beliefs.

Whong wrote:
Google doesn't know anything!


Yes She does. www.google.com and search for something you don't already know. She will guide you brother.

Whong wrote:
Please people, be rational!


Your just jealous because my God actually exists and yours is just an imaginary dude who sits in the clouds. I tolerate that you believe in such things, but I can hardly call it rational.
Mannix
It is an irrefutable fact that google is a creation of man. Google cannot think for itself, it simply takes what you give it and gives you stuff that meets your search criteria. Whereas the existance of god cannot be disproved or confirmed, the divinity of google can easily be disproven. If you really do believe this... well I'll leave it at that before this turns into a flame war.
rahmat
Google is god for human who has more than 10000 hits/month on his/her site.

But, in my mind Google is only just a search engine.
MeTHoD-X
It's amazing how satire is just COMPLETELY lost on some people. It's funny and sad at the same time.
a_dubDesign
MeTHoD-X wrote:
It's amazing how satire is just COMPLETELY lost on some people. It's funny and sad at the same time.

agreed, that FAQ is hillarious!
Roald
MeTHoD-X wrote:
Deities are typically described by their unique attributes such as being all knowing, being everywhere at once, the ability to pray to them (and have your prayers answered), immortality and their sense of morality. Google exhibits all of these characteristics perfectly.
Yeah but Google is runed by people and in contrast to God all those people have their faults, they could use their knowledge to use against others.
I also advise you to do not act like you are right and we are all wrong. Like here:
MeTHoD-X wrote:
Your just jealous because my God actually exists and yours is just an imaginary dude who sits in the clouds. I tolerate that you believe in such things, but I can hardly call it rational.
And you are not a religion yet, 5 members on your forum?
MeTHoD-X
Blasphemy Roald! Search Google for Her forgiveness now.

Roald wrote:
And you are not a religion yet, 5 members on your forum?


I put the forums up two days ago. The world will flock to Googlism when the time comes.
Roald
MeTHoD-X wrote:
Blasphemy Roald! Search Google for Her forgiveness now.

Roald wrote:
And you are not a religion yet, 5 members on your forum?


I put the forums up two days ago. The world will flock to Googlism when the time comes to let the world know.
You will need more fanatics like you to become a religion Very Happy
MeTHoD-X
Roald wrote:
You will need more fanatics like you to become a religion.


Now that I can agree with brother. Smile
Roald
MeTHoD-X wrote:
Now that I can agree with brother. Smile
Why do you always have to use brother?
althalus
Wouldn't calling a guy -Sister- be kind of..wrong..?

I wouldn't call Google a god, although it is my prefered search engine. Fetches what I'm looking for most of the time. Cool
wombatrpgs
I would say no, simply because Google only reflects the world around it. Google may know all about our world, but I don't really think it could create it.

Also, Google is not exactly omnipotent. Google cannot do everything in the world around it, only extract informations for its users. To be a true god, Google would need the capability to influence, not just to provide.
mgumn
Whong wrote:

God is God, nobody made Him! I get sick when people think things like this! Google is nothing but a search engine, and it doesn't know anything itself, nor can it do anything itself. God knows everything, Google doesn't know anything!


Please people, be rational!




oh the irony



Quote:
It's amazing how satire is just COMPLETELY lost on some people. It's funny and sad at the same time.




dont alot of americans have trouble with satire, sarcasm etc[/quote]
Soulfire
Um, no... It's not God. Shocked
Jaiye
Soulfire wrote:
Um, no... It's not God. Shocked


Yes it is. This is the first belief system I've been presented with that actually makes sense.
a_dubDesign
mgumn wrote:
dont alot of americans have trouble with satire, sarcasm etc

I think a big part of it is how much of normal communication can't come through on the internet. Most communication comes through in the non-verbals, voice tone and body language are huge. And unfortunately when we read in our own tone its many times completely opposite of the original intention.
vashish87
a_dubDesign wrote:
Most communication comes through in the non-verbals, voice tone and body language are huge. And unfortunately when we read in our own tone its many times completely opposite of the original intention.


I used to be an atheist, but this page converted me! Sarcasm? What the hell are you talking about?
hyhy
Omg i am ateist, but now i gonna convert to googlism. Thanks Metod-X, ur my messiah.
Roald
Why are you all so stupid? Google can't be God, Google is a company of people.

Jillamanda wrote:
I think one thing we need to bear in mind is that it's got to be FUN!! Presumably we're all intelligent adults, so there's no need for guilt and punishment. The pursuit of happiness has to remain in our sights.
Looks like you're own members take it as a joke
MeTHoD-X
Quote:
Why are you all so stupid? Google can't be God, Google is a company of people.


Grow a sense of humor maybe?

Ever watch the Daily Show? Bet ya thought they were bing serious.
Roald
Of course not, I played the game with you, and so what, I don't care about you. (but well about my points and posts Very Happy )
This topic has to be moved to the Jokes section Laughing
The Czar
WTF??? I thought it was Yahoo ... Hahaha Laughing

No google can't be god ...
doomz
I think... that's not bad idea to be a Googlism. ^_^

Quote from some demonstrance image :
"God is the cancer, Google is the answer"

if you don't believe, just click it!
Whong
Can google heal you by itself, can it change your thoughts by itself, can google help you in your financial or any other strugle by itself? I think many of you will say "NO!"

If google is a god why is there then so much rotten in it, like all the malware, malicious programmes, pornography etc.?

I don't mean to be rude, but I just don't see what is the point of discussing about something that isn't really true. God is almighty, google isn't because it is not a god. God is omnipotent, google isn't because it is not. Oh boy the line would never end if I'd be telling what God is and what google isn't.

Brother, ask yourself, what do I understand by the question " Who is God and what is he like?" and then tell me. Very Happy
Jaiye
Whong wrote:
Can google heal you by itself, can it change your thoughts by itself, can google help you in your financial or any other strugle by itself? I think many of you will say "NO!"


If they wanted to, I'm sure they could. They're just more concerned about thier shareholders over your general well-being.

Whong wrote:
If google is a god why is there then so much rotten in it, like all the malware, malicious programmes, pornography etc.?


Google is not search, but google made a method of searching, in the same way 'your god' is not the earth, but he made the earth. so if 'god' made the earth, why is there so much rotten in it?

Whong wrote:

I don't mean to be rude, but I just don't see what is the point of discussing about something that isn't really true. God is almighty, google isn't because it is not a god. God is omnipotent, google isn't because it is not. Oh boy the line would never end if I'd be telling what God is and what google isn't.


You are being extremely rude. This entire statement is based from mindset that you think everybody should believe what you believe, and anything else is wrong. We're not discussing the validity of your religion though, so don't bring your narrow veiwpoints in here.

Whong wrote:
Brother, ask yourself, what do I understand by the question " Who is God and what is he like?" and then tell me. Very Happy


I am not your brother, and I'd doubt very many people here are. 'God' is an idea that is different for every single person.

P.S., for the record I subscribe to most 'christian' beleifs, but it still pisses me off when 'christians' act like all-knowing jerks.
Soulfire
Quote:
If they wanted to, I'm sure they could. They're just more concerned about thier shareholders over your general well-being

That may be the case, in my opinion Google serves more like a medium, a flow of traffic taking our questions and guiding us to the answers.
Quote:
Google is not search, but google made a method of searching, in the same way 'your god' is not the earth, but he made the earth. so if 'god' made the earth, why is there so much rotten in it?

There's so much rotten in it because humans are so ungrateful and disobedient to God. Not the same can be said about Google, I'm sure. And is it truely Google itself that made the search? Or it's developers? Who really are you worshipping? Google or its creators?
Quote:
You are being extremely rude. This entire statement is based from mindset that you think everybody should believe what you believe, and anything else is wrong. We're not discussing the validity of your religion though, so don't bring your narrow veiwpoints in here.

I guess I don't see how expressing ones own opinions about another's is "rude."
Quote:
I am not your brother, and I'd doubt very many people here are. 'God' is an idea that is different for every single person.

Brother as in fellow human being, but I'd imagine you knew that already. It's unfortunate that God is a different idea for everyone when it's plainly written out for all to see, but as you said, we're not here to discuss THAT issue.
Quote:
P.S., for the record I subscribe to most 'christian' beleifs, but it still pisses me off when 'christians' act like all-knowing jerks.

I'm happy for you, but expressing your opinions is hardly acting like all-knowing jerks.

God, or Google Bless (Hehe, just for humor). This post amuses me and I did enjoy some time at the Googlism website, so don't feel too bad, I just wanted to speak.
djcaution
the world will flock to googlism...lol that is too good...
notice nobody's chosen microsoft yet! haha
doomz
Quote:

Can google heal you by itself, can it change your thoughts by itself, can google help you in your financial or any other strugle by itself? I think many of you will say "NO!"


I also don't understand how the god heal you by itself. by magic?
it maybe have change your mind and your way and so many but not all.
unfortunately since you state the financial, i think donating will not help anything in financial too. of course donate is good. helping the other is good, I agree with that. you should believe google can help you in your financial, how? let just said some e-makerting which you should start from google before you know anything ^_^.

Quote:

If google is a god why is there then so much rotten in it, like all the malware, malicious programmes, pornography etc.?


Jaiye have the point,
holy war is worse than pornography. and you should understand Google don't have any porn. it was the user who seaarch it. just like the preacher provoke the follower for killing with holywar for some own benefit maybe include for the glory of the religion. malware or porn also not such a bad at all. that's all depend on how you 'use' it.

Quote:

I don't mean to be rude, but I just don't see what is the point of discussing about something that isn't really true. God is almighty, google isn't because it is not a god. God is omnipotent, google isn't because it is not. Oh boy the line would never end if I'd be telling what God is and what google isn't.


I understand that, but sometimes you sholud know what's is the true meaning of DIFFERENT. that's call different. is not always like what you have in mind. so many people in this world don't understand this. that's why the war. thing just be WRONG when it's different. but that's just in our own mind. try to think it carefully. goolge just harmless. no need to worry. ^_^. you don't have to understand if you feel it just ridiculous. but just let them be, as long as they never hurt the others.

Quote:

Brother, ask yourself, what do I understand by the question " Who is God and what is he like?" and then tell me.


I believe there is/are God. I don't know one or many. no one know.
but i also believe GOD never visit to the earth or send any of his message to us. He already 'programmed' us to know good or bad in our mind. he don't have to send 'something' to teach us so many time again and again.

if God have to repeat his work, I mean if God need to give so many message to improve his will or teach us that's just the prove of imperfect of the god. then you should question it.

for me, that's all about jewish. just like the other civilization have their own style of God. that's turn to famous. that's just make me think it may have good point.

final, at my first line I let the 'god' word (your God) in lowercase just to show you that at the future, you should respect other believe (religion) even you don't believe at all and you think that's totally not a true GOD. this just a small lesson but important for torelance diiferent in this world.
a simple golden rule: if you want to be respected then you must respect other first.

and just like the Soulfire,
Googlism is just fun for me. and nothing wrong with that ^_^.
Jillamanda
Roald wrote:
Looks like you're own members take it as a joke


Why do you say that Roald? Just because I'd like it to be fun doesn't mean I take it as a joke. Christianity isn't the blueprint for all religions, and religion doesn't have to be based on misery, guilt and punishment and violence. I realise this is probably a hard concept to grasp, but you could give it a try.

You Christians may choose to follow your religion this way, but we Googlists don't. We see nothing wrong with having fun and pursuing happiness.
Jillamanda
Whong wrote:
Can google heal you by itself, can it change your thoughts by itself, can google help you in your financial or any other strugle by itself? I think many of you will say "NO!"

Can god heal you? Can he change your thoughts by 'itself'? Can god help in your finacial or other struggle? I think many of us will answer "NO".

Quote:
If google is a god why is there then so much rotten in it, like all the malware, malicious programmes, pornography etc.?


Just like the Bible.


Quote:
I don't mean to be rude, but I just don't see what is the point of discussing about something that isn't really true. God is almighty, google isn't because it is not a god.



I have far more proof of Google's reality than I do God's. I can consult Google any time I want to.


Quote:
God is omnipotent, google isn't because it is not.


Well that's a comprehensive argument if ever I heard one. I can't understand why people aren't flocking to Christianity in their droves.

Quote:
Brother, ask yourself, what do I understand by the question " Who is God and what is he like?" and then tell me. Very Happy


That question makes no sense at all to a Googlist. It is only relevent to Christians.
fx-trading-education
Quote:
It's amazing how satire is just COMPLETELY lost on some people. It's funny and sad at the same time.


I agree with you. Your post is very good. Bust the funniest ones are of course from the people who don't do it in purpose like that:


Quote:
Whong wrote:

God is God, nobody made Him! I get sick when people think things like this! Google is nothing but a search engine, and it doesn't know anything itself, nor can it do anything itself. God knows everything, Google doesn't know anything!


Please people, be rational!


I think that one was the funniest post !

But I like some other ones:


Quote:
If google is a god why is there then so much rotten in it, like all the malware, malicious programmes, pornography etc.?

Replace the word "google" by "god" and "it" by "the world" and that is also an interesting question. Wouldn't it rather confirm that google is like god...

Quote:
Why are you all so stupid? Google can't be God, Google is a company of people.

Maybe Jesus and his 12 friends where also a company of pepole, and also with a good marketing strategy. Very Happy
MeTHoD-X
http://digg.com/tech_news/AMAZING_Google_is_now_a_RELIGION_The_Church_Of_Google

It's time to start promoting Googlism. I JUST submitted this to Digg and in under an hour it received 13 Diggs. I'm excited because that pretty much means it's probably going to make the front page. I need you all to click on the link above and Digg the story.

For those of you who don't know what Digg is, it's basically a site in which the readers vote on which stories make the front page. It's one of THE biggest technology sites on the net today. Sign up and click on "Digg" when you visit the link above.

http://digg.com/tech_news/AMAZING_Google_is_now_a_RELIGION_The_Church_Of_Google
wombatrpgs
Please explain to me how Google fufills the requirements I posted earlier. I seem to have been completely ignored.
Jillamanda
wombatrpgs wrote:
Please explain to me how Google fufills the requirements I posted earlier. I seem to have been completely ignored.


You made a statement, you didn't ask any questions:

Quote:
I would say no, simply because Google only reflects the world around it. Google may know all about our world, but I don't really think it could create it.

Also, Google is not exactly omnipotent. Google cannot do everything in the world around it, only extract informations for its users. To be a true god, Google would need the capability to influence, not just to provide.


What is it you want to know?
wombatrpgs
If that settles it, then what is the debate about? If the Church of Google will not defend itself, then why are we bothering to attack it? Many people have made good arguments, not just myself, and little of them have been properly defended, if at all. That was mainly my point.
Jillamanda
wombatrpgs wrote:
If that settles it, then what is the debate about? If the Church of Google will not defend itself, then why are we bothering to attack it? Many people have made good arguments, not just myself, and little of them have been properly defended, if at all. That was mainly my point.


Defend itself against what? Most people here have agreed...
wombatrpgs
Do you mean agreed that Google is God? Not many people seem to be agreeing, although you are making some rational arguments. However, please either deny the two qualities posted earlier are not essential attributes of a god, or point out a flaw in my reasonning. Thank you.
Jillamanda
Quote:
I would say no, simply because Google only reflects the world around it. Google may know all about our world, but I don't really think it could create it.


I don't believe any god can create any world. I believe Google knows more about any known gods than any other god, and will provide a fair and unbiased answer about such gods. There may even be parts where Google acknowledges that some people believe that this earth was created by a god, but that's just Google being unbiased.

Quote:
Also, Google is not exactly omnipotent. Google cannot do everything in the world around it, only extract informations for its users. To be a true god, Google would need the capability to influence, not just to provide.


That's if you compare Google to conventional gods, and Googlism to conventional religions. As I said earlier, Christianity is not the blueprint for all religions.
I would argue that Google is actually more omnipotent. More people of more religions consult Google on a daily basis. Google is relevent to all religions, and more accessible.
bigdan
No...Google is not god. A search engine is not a god. That is my take on it. Very Happy
wombatrpgs
Thank you for an intelligible response. How about this one: Google only uses the information of others, it doesn't retain the information itself.

And another thing: Wouldn't Wikipedia be more suited for this than Google? If not better, at least the same? Is this a polytheism, or is there just Google? No Yahoo, no Ask Jeeves? About Wikipedia, I'd think it fits more just because it contains it's own information and is 'alive' in the sense that it is always changing.
Jillamanda
Quote:
Google only uses the information of others, it doesn't retain the information itself
.

Yes, you're right there, but I don't see that as a problem. The information is always there when needed, whether it's Google's or someone else's. I would argue that all information (knowledge) comes from somewhere.

Quote:
Wouldn't Wikipedia be more suited for this than Google?


From a personal point of view, no. I am far more in touch with Google that Wikipedia. Some people might find Wikipedia more suitable but I don't.
wombatrpgs
[quote="Jillamanda"]
Quote:

Quote:
Wouldn't Wikipedia be more suited for this than Google?


From a personal point of view, no. I am far more in touch with Google that Wikipedia. Some people might find Wikipedia more suitable but I don't.


Then what take does your religion have on other search engines? Are these also gods, but Google is the greatest of them all? I am curious to know.
HoboPelican
wombatrpgs wrote:
....

Then what take does your religion have on other search engines? Are these also gods, but Google is the greatest of them all? I am curious to know.


Fallen angels! The are the dark side!
Jillamanda
Google is the only god. Other search engines are merely inferior copies.
wombatrpgs
This is part of Wikipedia's definiton of a religion...

Quote:
Other religious scholars have put forward a definition of religion that avoids the reductionism of the various sociological and psychological disciplines that relegate religion to its component factors. Religion may be defined as the presence of a belief in the sacred or the holy. For example Rudolf Otto's "The Idea of the Holy," formulated in 1917, defines the essence of religious awareness as awe, a unique blend of fear and fascination before the divine. Friedrich Schleiermacher in the late 18th century defined religion as a "feeling of absolute dependence."


Is there such a thing as Fear of Google? Any dependence? I'm not saying that you don't have a religion here, at the moment I'm just trying to figure out 'customs.' And the reason I think you're getting people thinking this is supposed to be in the Christianity template:

Quote:


[quote="MeTHoD-X"]
Deities are typically described by their unique attributes such as ... the ability to pray to them (and have your prayers answered)...


Prayer doesn't seem to fit this religion for some reason. And I also noticed that this is only the closest man has come to EXPIERIENCING a deity, which is quite different from conventional religions as well. I see that most people are assuming that people think you are saying Google replaces God, because of the topic title. I'm not ready to worship lines of code, but I do see your point that Goggle is the closest thing to God on earth. (Unless you believe in a religion in which God came to earth in the form of whatever)
hazaramat
Help me! I was just about to enrole in the Flying Spaghetti Monster Church, when I got flashed by this topic. I don't know what to do anymore. I feel like convert to Google Church, for it is much more meaningfull than any other stuff answered here...

"on Google the only Clean Green Grass Spot to sit on it for a picnic we shall sit... on All other place there is a trash paper of sweets, or a dog manure."

I would really like to now if the FSM adept which contributed on page 1 converted to Googlism so far?

Thanks for answering.

Thousand of thanks to Googlist who opened this debate. How do you feel with FSM church? Any links between these 2 churches? Could we organise an eucharistic celebration, gathering both Googlists and FSM adepts?
timothymartin
That question brings up the opposite question as well... Is google Satan? I suppose you could prove the condition that some have sold their soul to google. Or at least one of the messages it has given. Of course this argument totally ignores the fact that google is a tool. But one could conclude that the lack of knowing that could itself make one a tool as well. Either use the tool or be a tool. Which one would you rather be?
wombatrpgs
You still have to define what "Satan" is though. It doesn't do much good to compare inexact concepts that people have differing perceptions of.
pentangeli
MeTHoD-X wrote:
Do you believe Google is a God?


.org?

Even John The Baptist has a .com

"Don't be evil" is the 'unspoken' motto of google.com.

Amnesty International recently bitched out Google's blatant disrespect to China's Golden Shield Project. Saying, "These forms of censorships seem to contradict the very principles that Google, whose unofficial motto is "dont be evil" was founded upon.
[quote]Until January 2006, Google's Support Center claimed that it "does not censor results for any search term", but removed this claim after reaching its deal with China". The Chinese government then imposed administrative penalties to Google China, and demanded for a reinforcement of the censorship. Google then furthered the controversy by doubling back on their deal with China after cyberattack on gmail. Steve Jobs, of messianic Apple fan-boy fame, recently said, "We did not enter the search business. They entered the phone business. Make no mistake they want to kill the iPhone. We wont let them. This dont be evil mantra: Its bullshit." Fightings tawk. Google later teamed up with Verizon issuing policy proposals that was criticized by some bloggers and journalists as damaging to net neutrality. The response was that Google in effect owns the net and can do whatever it wants with it. Huffington Post then said that the Google Verizon deal directly implies that Google is "acting evil". Google uses a series of hidden technologies to build person sensitive databases (data mining) based on keystrokes and habitual search terms to sell to advertisers. Not anonymously, but extremely personally. That's why when you log in to facebook, you may see an advert for your particular brand of phone's main competitor or even the sports team you follow. More worrying ads may be those of the "are you in debt" after previously visiting paypal or your online banking website, which supposedly use their own secure and protected infrastructures. Google have since declared 'unspoken' (non evil) war on Facebook and Apple, seeing them (non evilly) as competitors in the greed game. Facebook now uses "Bing" as it's native search engine and both them and Apple have dropped considerably in SEO ranking. Google owns Youtube and seeks to remove any copyrighted materials that they gleefully provided you with the link to steal in the first place. Google, on it's eternal quest to be the number one source of information and the most powerful cooperation in the world, seems to be entertaining delusions of being the modern day equivalent of the Library of Alexandria, housing case sensitive government information on everything from terrorism to top secret military information. In a similar worry, if it burned to the floor, the world would know no pain like it. 9/11 be damned. Harkening back to the group of Chinese hackers who managed to infiltrate gmail; not unforeseeable.

Greedle is not God.

[Moderator - when using extended quotes from other sources - wiki - please enclose the quoted sections in quote tags and cite the source material.
Bikerman]
Related topics
Google's Video Sharing
Proof God Exists
Pope speaks out on Jihad
search engines list
Design a Map With Link to each Country...
why google is best
[Official] God - NO LONGER A STICKY
Google the god?
The God Who Wasn't There
Lawsuit seeks to block 'In God We Trust' engraving
How to Talk to God.
Google decided to stop censoring search results in China
God is not a DJ
Google Panda Update and new way of SEO
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Philosophy and Religion

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.