FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internet Options: What's your preference?

Internet Options: What's your preference?
xDSL
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Cable
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
T1/T3
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Satellite
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

CanadianGeek
Greetings. Just curious what kind of feedback I'll get from this question. What do you prefer, and why? Personally, I prefer SDSL service. I was on ADSL service running my own http server for a while. It was nice, but for obvious reasons, I would have preferred the higher upload speeds typically seen with SDSL service.
S3nd K3ys
CanadianGeek wrote:
Greetings. Just curious what kind of feedback I'll get from this question. What do you prefer, and why? Personally, I prefer SDSL service. I was on ADSL service running my own http server for a while. It was nice, but for obvious reasons, I would have preferred the higher upload speeds typically seen with SDSL service.

I'd be willing to bet most will say which ever is fastest. Wink
CanadianGeek
S3nd K3ys wrote:

I'd be willing to bet most will say which ever is fastest. :wink:

Maybe so, until you have to pay for it. Plus, there are pros and cons to both. Although cable is faster overall than dsl, it's speed is subject to change depending on how many people connect to the internet through the same line simultaneously, whereas this would have no effect on a dsl connection. Plus, although many people would just love to have a T4 line runing to their house (or several), few are willing to pay the cost associated with this. I'm having to get satellite myself in October to replace the dialup internet that I have at home.
izcool
I have AT&T Yahoo! DSL, which I think comes out to be around $30.00 a month. Cable internet through Comcast would be around $50.00 a month, although the download speeds for both are around the same. With my DSL connection, I can run my own web server because the IP address changes all the time. With Comcast, I was not allowed that since my IP address never changed.

- Mike.
internetjobs
i thing direct satelite connection is best.. but some time it is not suitable like rainy day...
izcool
internetjobs wrote:
i thing direct satelite connection is best.. but some time it is not suitable like rainy day...

I've been told that Satellite internet has a terrible upload speed, as isn't that done through a phone line ? But for the download speed I heard it's decent.

- Mike.
CanadianGeek
I was thinking about satellite based internet service. There's no Cable or DSL service available where I live. I checked out some of their plans. The upload on all of the plans is the same, a 128kbps maximum (note the deceptive advertising). The download speed for the cheapest plan is 512kbps maximum (again note the deceptive advertizing). I'm staying with dial-up though. Satellite through my ISP seems to be a bit of a ripoff, given how unreliable the dial-up service is now (some linesman screwed up at hour house and cut off our phone service until Monday.)
goansfr
here in france we have only xdsl and cable, other are reserved to compagny who need a big bandwith

wifi connection are announced here
william
Isn't Cable generally faster? I would prefer Cable over DSL because it's faster, though sometimes, the price isn't worth it. (Especially when you go for a low speed DSL/Cable.)
HoboPelican
Well, I have cable. It's the best option for the price. I don't know about other areas, but here the DSL is a joke. Disconnects, noise in the voice line, delays on install of up to 4 months. It's truly offal (no misspelling).

Cable is is plenty fast for most stuff and up/downloads are acceptable.

I wouldn't mind a T1, but I not gonna pay for it Wink
psycosquirrel
I have cable at home and T3 at school. The T3 is VERY nice.
Jaan
If you can get ADSL2+, which I have, you can get up to 24mbps - VERY good! That's like T3. It also costs alot less than traditional ADSL. I pay about 60$ per month, I get 500 free minutes of VOIP and a 50gb download limit. Im quite happy with that for the moment.
bigdbag
I recently switched from DSL to FIOS provided by Verizon. WOAH what a difference! I now have the 30mbps plan, and it is blazing. Of course, they DID have to mess with my telephone line where it came into my house and had to drill at least 10 holes in that area. The whole installation process took the technician 3 and a half hours... whew i was glad when that was done.